[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>get engineering degree >fuck around for years with booze

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

>get engineering degree
>fuck around for years with booze and drugs and mental illness
>finally semi get act together
>get pretty good engineering gig
>still cant stop drinking
>all i want is to stop being a fuckup and start getting stable
>trying to save money but i wander out to bar and spend it all
>drunk right now
>gonna wake up feeling like crap, no idea how much i spent tonight

How do I get my shit together. I'm sorry if this is the wrong board for something like this. I guess this is more /adv/ but I suppose there's a little biz too.
>>
What engineering degree? I'm asking because I'm not sure which kind of eng to pick
>>
>>991079
It's addiction bruv. I have the same problem except with percocets, and I know the feel of hating yourself for it everytime you blow all your money's
>>
>>991084

Mechanical. I'd say it has the most flexibility, maybe tied with electrical. I can find a decent job in almost any industry.
>>
what kind of engineering? i want to do biomedical engineering, is this good or bad
>>
>>991094

Depends where you live, I suppose. I went to school in Houston, so we had lots of openings for any kind of med studies. I know out of the 10 or so guys I knew who did it, maybe 4 made it halfway through, 2 finished, and they all regretted it. It's supposed to be unnecessarily difficult.

Again, I think most engineering fields tie you down. ME's get flak for being non-specific and stupid, but at least we know how to get by in anything you toss us into.
>>
>>991091
Thanks, I'm leaning toward electrical though because it seems like it's more future-proof than ME. Am I wrong for assuming this? My biggest fear would be doing something gay like IT upon graduating when I cant find an engineering job. How avoid?
>>
>>991124

Like I said, both EE and ME will give you enough of a foundation to fake your way through pretty much anything. I've worked oil/gas, plastics manufacturing, IT, materials science, CAD work, aerospace...the list goes on.

Honestly, the best path to success in engineering involves making as many connections and being diverse as possible. Being the best engineer doesn't mean shit if you're autistic and can;t get an in at a company.
>>
>>991130
What are good ways to create networks? I'm a semi-sperg, but not virgin tier
>>
>>991079
>get pretty good engineering gig
Once you realize how lucky you are just for this you will get your shit under control. Being out on the street looking for a job or having no job security is the worst fucking thing. Hopefully you dont have to learn the hard way.
>>
Shit OP, I feel you.

I'm just about to graduate with a BS degree in Engineering Technology, which my academic advisor swore up and down would make me a jack of all trades able to go anywhere. Now that I'm applying for jobs the first question I'm ased is "What is Engineering Technology? Is that mechanical or electrical or...?"

I feel like I have just enough knowledge of everything to know the basics but that everyone else is way more specialized than me. But hey, the one decent internship I had my boss was an ET major working as a process engineer for a wire draw factory.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2544x1850px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2544x1850px
>>991079
People whine and say "I wanna be this," they whine and then say "I can't." And they bitch and they moan and make up all these excuses.
GRAB YOUR FUCKING NUTS AND JUST DO IT.
You have control of your life.

You spend all your money at bars?
THEN STOP FUCKING GOING TO BARS.
ITS NOT THAT HARD.

You get a craving? Then you better find something else to keep you distracted because not being able to control yourself is fucking pathetic.

Learning an instrument takes 12+ hours a week
Reading takes more
Powerlifting takes 5-10
And bodybuilding takes as many goddamn hours as you can lift and sleep.

Fill your time with something constructive and stop acting like a goddamn spineless neet about it.
"Wahhhh life's hard!"
You're pathetic. You choose your fate.
>>
>>991211
>Make friends at school
>Develop relationships with professors
>Join clubs like ASME or ASCE
>Use LinkedIn to maintain your network
>Get summer internships, maintain contact with the companies you intern with
>>
>>991094
Better to major in ME or EE and minor in biomed
>>
>>991079
Rational emotive behavioral therapy
>>
>>991084
after that fucking post, the only reason you should ask what degree he has is so you can avoid getting that
>>
I think every engineer starts out this way. I was the same way until 26.
>>
>>991804
How do you get a BS in engineering technology? In Canada that's the college version of engineering is that different where you are?
>>
File: 1446649847844.gif (2MB, 254x209px) Image search: [Google]
1446649847844.gif
2MB, 254x209px
>>991079
> relocate to Muslim country were alcohol is forbidden.
>?
> profit.
>>
File: neveragain.jpg (10KB, 312x234px) Image search: [Google]
neveragain.jpg
10KB, 312x234px
>>991840
except it doesn´t work like that.

Speaking from my own personal experience (I´ve been a fullblown crackhead for a couple of years, clean since last year)

If you live in a shitty ghetto (picture related I lived there) where everyone is doing dope and alcohol you get sucked into it and it´s very hard to get out if not impossible. You end up in vicious circles.
>>
>>991840
nice greg plitt quote in the beginning there, why don't you do like him and "train hard" you fucking faggot
>>
>>991079
>engineer
Kill yourself desu
>>
>>991883
Nothing worth doing has ever been easy.
Regardless if where you live, what your past is, you control your life.
Yeah, there's more temptation, but you don't have to succumb. You never have to succumb.
Isolate yourself. Be kind but don't partake.
Take control of your life.
You have to. For you.
>>991888
Checked.
>implying I don't

I'm on my way to being the stronger, sexier Midwest version of our soon to be chancellor Trump.
>>
>>991124
I'm not really sure what "future-proof" means. MEs will be needed for the rest of the time we are alive.
>>
>>991804
I've known people who had the exact situation that you're in. they get a degree in an engineering technology being promised that they will have no problem getting work, and then they struggle getting work.

I would advise passing the FE as it should give you some credibility. Other than that, just keep applying.
>>
>>991903
Just to make it clear, by "train hard" I meant kill yourself in a train incident. Since Greg Plitt was killed by a train. You know, kill yourself. Just wanted to make sure I was clear on that.
>>
>>991903
if you are addicted you have no control, you are powerless..
>>
>>991079
>buy booze
>drink at home like a responsible alcoholic

I have a fondness for whisky and beer. Bars are not cheap, but handles and cases are. 4 people I know from the bar have had DUIs. I still go out once every 2-3 weeks, but limit myself.
>>
>>991079
Fellow functional alcoholic here working in finance (back office, not glamorous). Drinking some nice flavoured polish vodka tonight.

The hardest part about this is every morning is hard as FUCK to wake up... but once you're at the office and had a few coffees it's not so bad. I don't get "hangovers" just feel fucking tired all the time.

I swore this morning I'd take a break from drinking tonight but here I am with my vodka.....
>>
>>991079
Its easy OP. Give half the money to your mom with each paycheck and let her save it.
>>
>>991938
No shit fgt. Don't park right next to it, choose a small street a block away. Pigs are too lazy and they follow the dumb ones who park literally steps away.
>>
>>991949
You are more likely to get nailed for missing a stop sign or speeding. One friend swerved to miss a pothole. Cop pulled him over. Passed the field sobriety test, but got nailed with a 0.28 on the breathalyzer.

Save money and your license; drink at home.
>>
>>991079
Replace drinking with exercise, only buy the the alcohol you intend to consume that night, drink some hot tea before your first drink.
>>
>>991079
>>get pretty good engineering gig
can't even get that. where i am if you don't know someone who can get you in you'll be lucky to find some shit internship that pays a third of the full time employees' pay even though you already graduated.
>>
>>991079

sounds like you aren't passionate about what you are doing.

The moment I found something I cared about, booze and weed took a back seat to pursuing my passion. I actually looked forward to creating my work.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.