[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So after being a fuckup for way too long, I finally got my act

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: jacobs-well-96.jpg (128KB, 790x444px) Image search: [Google]
jacobs-well-96.jpg
128KB, 790x444px
So after being a fuckup for way too long, I finally got my act together and got a decent, steady job.

I want to act like a grown up for once, and try and save a little each month. After budgeting, it looks like I can square away ~300 a month. I've looked around at plain jane savings accounts with banks, but it looks like the interest rates are pretty bad. Like almost nothing. I'd like to be able to earn at least some interest, but hopefully be able to take money out if need be. Any suggestions?
>>
I am no financial guru but save up a chunk and then open up some sort of CD account.
>>
What you need first and foremost is an emergency savings account. This savings should be in cash or in something very low risk like a money market account. This amount should cover about six months worth of expenses in case you lose your job or something unexpected comes up you won't have to go into credit card debt. After this is saved up I would invest in a low cost index fund, look up the funds Vangaurd offers. This is where the majority of my investment are held. I pick individual stocks with play money that I wouldn't mind losing but any substantial amount is kept in Vangaurd. That initial emergency fund is key though it sucks saving it and not making a return but the security it gives you makes it worth it.
>>
>>987553

I looked at CD's and even still with the calculator I used, it only came out to some pocket change.
>>
>>987533

Anything less than $10k is not worth putting into any type of stock or fund.

There are better investments with the money. Invest in a business or real estate.

Both do have risk, but if you plan carefully and make a decision on something with a high likelihood of success, the profits could be way beyond what any stock or fund will ever get on such a small sum.

Guys that are over 50 and have over $100k in an account are guys that should be putting some of that into a fund or stock.
>>
>>987580

Oh man, I know nothing about investing like that...is there anything out there for a financial retard like me?
>>
>>987580

Fucking Jordan Bellfort spotted everyone stop what you're doing and start selling those fucking pens
>>
>>987580
>Anything under $10k is not worth putting into any stock or fund
Wrong but whatever.

>INVEST IN REAL ESTATE INSTEAD
Yeah what fucking real estate for under $10k? A piece of a board and an old toilet?
>>
>>987877
>>987879

I thought this sounded dumb. Anything else I could realistically do with my extra savings?
>>
File: montae.jpg (49KB, 563x582px) Image search: [Google]
montae.jpg
49KB, 563x582px
>>987879

>Yeah what fucking real estate for under $10k? A piece of a board and an old toilet?

You can partner up with someone and use that 10k as a down payment for a 100k house, then rent it out.

That being said, it's much more time-demanding doing RE than paper securities, and thus not as economically efficient, unless you are getting a proportionally larger return for the extra time spent.
>>
Ok. First of all relax because you have some time.

Step 1 is to sock that money into savings. How much? That all depends on you, but at least a few months of running expenses. You are not ready to responsabily invest until you have an emergency fund put together. There is no simple answer as to how much, but I say at least 3 months of rent ( more if it's mortgage) food, utilities, liabilities, ect. Until you have that you have no business getting tied up in investments.

Once you have that, open up an ira with a major online broker ( scottrade, etrade, fidelity, vangard, ect) and buy some middle of the road shit. Congrats you are now investing.

>anything less than 10k is not worth investing
Hogwash. You have to start somewhere.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.