[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the one line that someone says that you know you shouldn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 12

File: nigga u srs.gif (2MB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
nigga u srs.gif
2MB, 300x300px
What is the one line that someone says that you know you shouldn't take financial advice from them, that you just stop listening altogether.

My most recent one: "Invest in gold or other metals."
>>
" i have a 401k"
>>
"play the credit card game"
"debt is good"
"Getting married is bad for you financially"
"Owning a house is bad"
>>
>>986999

not american, but what's wrong with 401ks?

as far as I can tell you can save yourself the income tax as long as you put your cash into a managed fund or something. since you should put your money into an index fund anyways, why not save taxes while doing it?
>>
>Anything to do with bitcoin
>Dude buying a house is great! You don't want to be paying someone else's mortgage do you?
>Creditcards are evil and force you to overspend
>Taking out loans for cars is OK because this one is only 7% p/a! That's not much at all!
>Im only 2x and I'm getting married! We love each other sooooo much - divorced? Nah that could NEVER happen to us!
>>
>I go on and form most of my opinions based on 4chan, especially business from /biz/
>>
>>987003
>>987000

found the polar opposites.

>>987005
reddit is a better place, it truly is.
>>
"Invest in an index fund. Investing in the stock market is gambling."

"Renting is cheaper than buying a house."

"Have you heard of Bitcoin?"

"I watch NASCAR."
>>
>>986999
>>987000
Tris followed by tris. God is great.
>>
>>987009
The first two are correct though.
>>
File: 1407516611372.jpg (145KB, 670x424px) Image search: [Google]
1407516611372.jpg
145KB, 670x424px
>>987009
bretty good list, you can add the general gold and silver salestalk too to the list
>>
>>987017

If you believe the stock market is gambling or rigged, then why are you investing in an index fund that invests in the stock market? You're better off picking random stocks.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9_mlYkiToWIY2luZGRqUU1DVFFfbmMwS2dLN3VCdDlHYy13/view?usp=sharing

And you are better off buying a house and renting out spare bedrooms than renting.
>>
>>987009
>>987018
Index funds are proven to produce better returns over time. Renting is a lot cheaper in a lot of places than a mortgage. Are you fags serious?
>>
>>987019
I didn't say it was rigged, retard. It's a fact that the majority of actively managed funds and day traders don't make any more money than if they had just put it all into index funds or ETFs.

Whatever I don't know why I even bother with this shitty board. Enjoy your robinhood threads and ejaculating because you made $25
>>
"risk free"
>>
>I play videogames
>I don't read books
>I go on /pol/ or /r9k/
>I ask /biz/ for financial advice
>I play videogaymes
>I go on 4chan at all
>I don't buy bitcoin
>Owning a house is bad
>Index funds almost always outperform handpicking stocks
>getting married is a bad financial decision
>I'm not getting married
>I don't want children because they're expensive
>>
File: 1435443375962.gif (864KB, 160x270px) Image search: [Google]
1435443375962.gif
864KB, 160x270px
>>987024
>actively managed funds
>day trade

if those are your options to index fund then you might be right, you are better off with index.
>>
>I don't go discuss with dumb fucks in the robinhood thread
>Getting married is a poor financial move!
>I take out loans for school instead of paying for it from my trust fund
>>
>>987030
What is the best option then? Picking random stocks and hoping they increase in value to make you earn under what an index fund would have?

Please enlighten me, how have you been actively beating the market for the last few years? What does your portfolio look like?
>>
>>987037
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9_mlYkiToWIY2luZGRqUU1DVFFfbmMwS2dLN3VCdDlHYy13/view?usp=sharing
>>
Money can't buy happiness :^)
>>
>>987041
Thanks you've convinced me.

I'll start buying all of robinhood general's top picks now.fuck consistent and reliable returns
>>
>>987043

Man are you autistic?

>sir you can take right turn even if the light is red as long as there is no traffic
>thanks senpai
>drives circles in intersection

What you sound like.
>>
>>987048
But I'm agreeing with you, you are a very smart man with extensive experience and a very well put together portfolio. Your proven track record and well thought out views have truly changed my own opinions.
>>
>>987043

Also

>consistent and reliable returns

From 1994 to 2015, SPY has a 9.05% CAGR, with a best year of 38.05%, compared to a -50.80% max drawdown. It's Sharpe Ratio is only 0.49. What about that is consistent or reliable?

>b-but it averages 10% a year

I take it you've never taken a single Finance class, and get your bullshit from iHaz and Huffington Post.
>>
File: Homeless-5698.jpg (181KB, 750x499px) Image search: [Google]
Homeless-5698.jpg
181KB, 750x499px
>I refuse to spend money to make money
>I play videogames
>I think that my situation is outside of my control
>I don't read books
>The stockmarket is for smart people!
>I do the bare minimum at my job
>I play videogames
>I am planning on buying an iPhone
>I'm going to major in English
>pays for digital media instead of pirating
>collects anime figures/video games/anything that depreciates in value
>Tells the truth in job interviews
>I don't research the jobmarket or the prospect careers of my major
>I look for excuses instead of solutions
>I try to find what's *wrong* with me rather than how I can overcome difficulties
>I think other people are simply more gifted than me and self-defecate
>Plays computer games
>they're never going to pay me more because they are evil so I have to accept this
>I'm over 23, I don't have to learn anymore!
>i'm poor because of the jews/west/communist
>i'm going to buy the most expensive car/house possible, I will manage the debt somehow
>thinking that buying real estate and renting it is the only viable option when it comes to personal investing
>not even trying to understand stock market and labeling it as gambling
>taking a mortgage/car loan when your net value is 0
>labeling loans as evil and always paying up front with all your saved cash
>keeping huge sums of money on checking account for years while saving for something
>I play videogaymes
>an entrepreneur is he who lives like no one else will for 10 years so he can live like no one else can for the rest of his life
>I'm following the tai lopez mba tutorial to set up my first business selling vemma sodas
>I use drugs recreationally outside of very rare social occasions
>I drink alcohol under I fall over usually
>I don't read books
>I play videogames
>I blame others for my shortcomings
>I play videogames
>>
>>987052
>I take it you've never taken a single Finance class, and get your bullshit from iHaz and Huffington Post.

Too bad iHaz is a millionaire and you're not.

Stay poor retard.
>>
>>987049
i think you're a moron. who didn't even read the doc he posted. i'll summarize for your shit attention span: market cap weighted funds underperform compared to randomly picking stocks inside said fund.

is there a mental diagnosis for being willfully ignorant? or is that an innate character flaw?
>>
>>987058
stay poor idiot, lets see your portfolio and how it's been doing
>>
>>987061
so you still haven't read that paper huh. willful ignorance. what a productive mental state. i'm abandoning thread now lest this thing is contagious.
>>
>>987064
>Is just a theory churning retard who can't even show us how well his portfolio has been doing

lmao
>>
>>987057

He's never proven anything.
>>
File: 1411647687065.png (996KB, 750x598px) Image search: [Google]
1411647687065.png
996KB, 750x598px
>>987027
>Owning a house is bad
>getting married is a bad financial decision
>I'm not getting married
>I don't want children because they're expensive
>Getting married is a poor financial move!
you sound insecure anon, is everything alright at home?
>>
>>987065

You're calling a $25B hedge fund manager a retard?
>>
>>987072
wow a $25b meme fund manager is shilling for people to give him money? How unexpected!
>>
>>987027
I disagree with almost all of these. When I was halfway down the list I saw that you were a bitcoinfag and it all made sense.
>>
>>987057
>really believes that iHaz is a millionaire from a few faked screenshots
Kek.
>>
I think the research into equal-weighted indexing is extremely interesting, and I'm keeping a close eye on its development. I think its somewhat unlikely that continued rigorous academic scrutiny will bear this out, but I've got an open mind.

You have to remember that researchers and analysts are constantly evaluating new investing strategies. The beauty of the computer-age is the ability to easily backtest any arbitrary set of trading rules. As a consequence, every year we hear of some new approach, be it revolutionary or simply a tweak to an old idea. And they all come with some evidence that they outperform the S&P or other relevant index.

The problem is that further testing tends to disprove the value of almost all of these new portfolios. In the best case, they offer no meaningful improvements over simple index investing, and in the worst case, they significantly underperform.

Only a fool would change their investment strategy based on a strategy not yet exposed to strict academic review and testing. Those who do will find their assets stuck in things like the Permanent Portfolio, the Dogs of the Dow, the Coffeehouse Portfolio, the Margaritaville, the No Brainer Portfolio ... etc., etc., etc., all of which were or are popular "improvements" to index investing. And all of which have underwhelmed and underperformed.

Indeed, to my mind, the only tweak that has stood up to serious academic query is the recommendation to strategically overweight into small-cap value stocks in a long-term portfolio.

So, is equal-weighted index investing just another meme investing tweak? Probably, but I don't know yet. There's certainly not enough evidence for any serious investor to divert otherwise productive capital into that approach.

What's puzzling is why you keep shilling this whitepaper as if you, yourself, discovered the holy grail? You're obviously not smart enough to be a serious or credible advocate for the theory. So why make such an ass of yourself?
>>
>>987122
>What's puzzling is why you keep shilling this whitepaper as if you, yourself, discovered the holy grail? You're obviously not smart enough to be a serious or credible advocate for the theory. So why make such an ass of yourself?

The irony.
>>
>>987122
BTFO.

It's funny because everytime I asked one of them(probably same guy) to post their portfolio they just ignore it and keep posting the link instead.
>>
File: foto_no_exif.jpg (1MB, 1394x2000px) Image search: [Google]
foto_no_exif.jpg
1MB, 1394x2000px
>>987126
>irony
I don't that word means what you think.

>>987114
>screenshots
kek.
>>
>>987137
B T F O

T
F
O
>>
>>987137
Btw we used to argue sometimes iHaz. But it turns out you aren't that much of a nigger and we just had a bit of a misunderstanding.
>>
>>987137
>evidence
Kekked hard
>>
>>987137
Nice adobe skills man, whoever said a graphic design degree wasn't worth it
>>
>>987134
>too stupid to realize biz has post IDs
>his one true god admits the premise of the paper is worth looking into

why is your psychological self worth tied to index investing. inability to incorporate new information is a sign of low intelligence. fuck. you probably didn't understand any of that. i'll get down to your memespewing underage level: BTFO LMAO KEK NIGGERS
>>
>>987142
>>987140
You're even more of a cock guzzling faggot than iHaz is and that's hard to do.
>>
>>986997
>Corporations are forcing me down
>>
File: foto_no_exif (1).jpg (3MB, 2980x2581px) Image search: [Google]
foto_no_exif (1).jpg
3MB, 2980x2581px
>>987147
>whoever said a graphic design degree wasn't worth it
Aww, you caught me. Well, it was a good run.

Yes, once I realized my law degree was so useless, I immediately enrolled for classes in the high-paying field of graphic design. Here's another example of my elite photoshop skilzz.
>>
>>987170
lmao repeatedly blown the fuck out

Why do they keep coming back for more?
>>
>>987170
>trying this hard to gain validation
You're cute.
>>
>>987175
LMAO iHaz still samefagging? Remember when you got caught a couple months ago samefagging too? That was hilarious. You're fucking pathetic lol
>>
>>987181
>he needs to come up with false allegations because he's this mad

l m a o
>>
>>987178
>>987181
getting
fucking
rekt
>>
So how much of that money was given to you by mommy and daddy?
>>
>>986997
"Real estate always goes up and you will always make more money."
>>
>>986997

>buy buttcoin.
>>
>>986997

The second any business type starts purposely using jargon that they are fully aware I don't understand, is the moment I see them as a bullshit artist and decide to walk away.

Financial guys are notorious for this bullshit.
>>
>>987196

More like he right click > inspect element, then file and print.
>>
>>987137
>>987122

What does your portfolio look like? Just VTASX and whatever the bond vanguard ticker is, or...?
>>
I came here after browsing /k/ for a couple weeks and realizing there are a handful of operators among a mob of retards. Seems like it's similar here and across 4chan.
>>
>bitcoin is a ponzi scheme
>>
>>987001
>cant touch it until after age 59 1/2 or penalty
>shit tier interest rate
>still have to pay taxes on it
>many people lose their 401k if they switch jobs or the company goes under/files bankruptcy

all retirement plans are shit, life reinsurance is the best way to grow your money
>>
File: 1448641348174.png (65KB, 579x747px) Image search: [Google]
1448641348174.png
65KB, 579x747px
>>987000
No, getting divorced is bad for you financially and something tells me placing that kind of power into the hands of someone who cries sometimes and doesn't know why is a poor business move
>>
>>986997
>The smart money is buying it!
>We can beat the market
>You can't afford not to own it
>The upside is huge!
>Trust me
>No one else knows how to do this

Taken from Jason Zweigs commentary in the Intelligent investor
>>
>>987022
Binary trading bots are both the easiest and simplest way to make money. I can make wild unsourced claims too.
>>
>>987196
>So how much of that money was given to you by mommy and daddy?
I did inherit a small sum, about 2% of my net worth. That, and my parents did pay my education costs, for which I am quite grateful. So yes, I had strong financial support from my family. But no, that's not where my money came from.

I never claimed to be a rags-to-riches story. If that's the role model you're looking for, look elsewhere.

>>987369
>What does your portfolio look like? Just VTASX and whatever the bond vanguard ticker is, or...?
85/15 stock/bonds. 60/25/15 large/mid/small. 80/20 domestic/international. 65/35 index/active.

As for my actual holdings, my portfolio was constructed over many years and I didn't have a clear design at the outset. As such, I have separate small, mid and large cap funds, separate value and growth funds, and separate international funds. Add to that my actively managed funds, and my tax-managed funds. Then add my some one-off stocks, ETFs, and MLPs. All together, its about 40 separate holdings.

I don't really recommend that people build a portfolio the way I did. It's a lot to manage, and I wish I could cut it down to 20 or so funds. But at the end of the day, its really more about your allocations and your fees than which exact funds you own.
>>
>>987522
>cant touch it until after age 59 1/2 or penalty
Wrong
>shit tier interest rate
Huh?
>still have to pay taxes on it
Only when you withdraw it as income.
>many people lose their 401k if they switch jobs or the company goes under/files bankruptcy
Wrong
>all retirement plans are shit, life reinsurance is the best way to grow your money
Wrong

Congrats: you're the third-dumbest poster in this thread.
>>
>>987542
Site your sources
>>
>>986997
"oh... Stocks? arent those ricky? i just dont understand them"
>>
>>987542
Congrats, the first dumbest is you.
>look gauis I haz milliuns!
>look my real photos how can fake dese?!
>u shuld lisen to me y u no lisen to me?
>im not samefag trust me peples lyke me
>everywon lyke me right? :(
>>
>I wish I bought x stock back when....
>>
>>987727
best post so far ITT
>>
>I trade with Robin Hood
>>
>>987534
Out of interest, did you specifically allocate those proportions according to some research or is that just what you were comfortable with? If so, could you name the source/paper?

Also, if you believe small cap out-performance will persist, why do you have such a small allocation to small caps? How often do you re-balance?
>>
>>988198
Ur so cuet
>>
File: 132.jpg (41KB, 342x369px) Image search: [Google]
132.jpg
41KB, 342x369px
>>988265
thank you
>>
File: 4072559.jpg (19KB, 400x265px) Image search: [Google]
4072559.jpg
19KB, 400x265px
>>988262
>did you specifically allocate those proportions according to some research or is that just what you were comfortable with?
The allocations reflect my risk tolerances, investing horizon, and tax needs. They aren't based on any particular research or study.

>if you believe small cap out-performance will persist, why do you have such a small allocation to small caps?
Fair question.

First, understand that in the US, small caps are only about 9-10% of the total market. So even at 15% I'm already modestly over-weighting.

Second, I've only become convinced of the merits of strategic over-weighting this year, and I'm still deciding if and how to fold this into my overall strategy. Small caps are more volatile, and therefore strategic over-weighting is more suited to investors with the longest time horizons (i.e., young investors in their 20's and 30's). By comparison, I'm older, wealthier, and more risk averse than the average 20-30 year old. So even though I believe in overweighting small caps, that doesn't by itself answer the question how to adapt that to my situation.

I suspect I'll build to about 20%, slowly (see below), because that seems right for me.

>How often do you re-balance?
I don't do traditional rebalancing because the tax hits would be too great. I have substantial unrealized capital gains in almost all my funds, and because I'm in the highest tax bracket for gains taxes, moving allocations around is too costly to justify under normal circumstances. Something as small as a 5% shift in my holdings means a $600,000 transaction and possibly as much as $40,000-$60,000 in taxes.

(Its for the same reason that I'm stuck with 40 funds and can't simplify my holdings as I'd like. It'd just be too costly).

Instead, I try to keep my allocations in line with new money from other sources or investments. Because I own so many different funds, its easy to buy whatever specific allocation sector needs to be boosted. I've made it work so far.
>>
File: 1312133286655.jpg (519KB, 908x908px) Image search: [Google]
1312133286655.jpg
519KB, 908x908px
>>987027
>I play videogames
>I play videogaymes
>>
File: 1414822404211.gif (3MB, 190x200px) Image search: [Google]
1414822404211.gif
3MB, 190x200px
>>987056
>I think other people are simply more gifted than me and self-defecate
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.