[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Successful Gamers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

File: brandonbeck_240.jpg (55KB, 240x170px) Image search: [Google]
brandonbeck_240.jpg
55KB, 240x170px
>Currently 27 years of age
>Profession: Accounting/Finance
>Salary: $75K and rising
>Keeps professional image at work by day
>Secretly a huge gamer at home
>Still maintaining bad lifestyle habits from college
>Eats junk food everyday
>Doesn't work out
>Lucky to be skinny type and not fat

How do you balance being successful in your professional career and your video game hobby?

Is it best to drop video games all together?
>>
>>985065
>Is it best to drop video games all together?

Yes.

For every successful videogaymer there's a million NEETs for whom videogaymes have ruined their social skills, school life, romantic relationships and work.

It's just a bad use of time even if you don't get addicted. You'd be much better off just spending it finding an interest in something productive. Many ex-videogaymers found programming, reading or games like Chess to be a way to have leisure time yet still not waste it numbing their brain.
>>
>>985069
sometimes u just need to go on a homicide spree to relieve stress and its better to do that in a videogame
>>
>>985065

kinda.

Anything more than 1 - 2 hours per day and I think gaming can fuck up your career aspirations.
>>
>>985065
Another Big 4 drone here?
>>
>>985069
>Chess
Just as unproductive, plenty of videogames offer equal problem solving simulations. Chess is the boring videogame of old people.
>>
>>985108
>Just as unproductive, plenty of videogames offer equal problem solving simulations

Unlike videogaymes it doesn't draw you in to play for 6 hours straight without leaving to the bathroom because you're in a match or raid.

Plenty of videogaymes DO offer similar problem solving simulations but nearly no one plays them. Come on man, are you really going to argue MOBAs and MMOs offer "problem solving simulation" when they are entirely based on grinding and learning certain mechanics over long periods of time? And even just LoL is many times more popular than 100's of single player games put together.
>>
>>985107
Corporate actually. Have an interview with KPMG coming up for a senior associate in tax advisory. Thinking about switching. Seems less "drone" like than assurance.
>>
>>985121
Good luck, at least you get to stay in the nice home office. Client issued dungeons suck.
>>
>>985065
Fuck, let's see... a typical work day is 9-5... so from about 6pm until the next morning people can do whatever the fuck they want... and you're trying to seek out people who do anything at all during that time?

Congratulations, you just fell for the autistic belief that in order to be a success you never eat sleep or fuck.
>>
File: tokoyo girl style.jpg (171KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
tokoyo girl style.jpg
171KB, 600x900px
>>985065
Did you get a BA/BS in accounting then a CPA? do you recommend this field?

Is taxation good? Thinking of following your footsteps

Thanks
>>
>>985265
>BA with major in accounting
>Sitting for CPA exams (required to be manager in public)
>2+ years of corporate experience
>Specialized in R&D tax

I'll speak from a corporate perspective. It can be tedious, but you get to work directly with project managers, engineers, clients, etc. It's a much better experience to be wearing a tax hat rather than audit. You feel like you are using your expertise to educate and help people and that is something I do enjoy. in R&D tax, you'll need to be flexible and willing to understand different engineering projects and ERP systems. Haven't done it in public yet so I can't speak for that.
>>
>>985069
But what if I just play it during my down time?

I still have a full time job.
And I do part time study.
And I lift four days a week.

Hell I've even got the same profession and salary as OP.
>>
>>985065
If video games are holding you back from your dreams then you should at least cut back, if not drop them. If your dreams are to just work in accounting making an honest hard-working american dollar, then it's fine to live however you want, because you've already reached your dreams.

I don't understand the stigma against games here on /biz/. I know most of the people shilling against video games are bait, but it's no worse than watching TV/movies/reading fiction/etc. People just need to know how to limit themselves and not let it consume their life.

>>985111
>when they are entirely based on grinding and learning certain mechanics over long periods of time?
I can't speak for many games since the only game I play is DotA, but the entire game revolves around quick problem solving/decision making. The best players in the game are usually very smart people - so, playing it is an exercise for your brain, the same way chess is.
>>
>>985069
>Chess
>somehow better than videogames
>literally any RTS or turn based strategy is infinetly more complex than chess and would probably teach you more

There is literally nothing wrong with playing videogames as much as there is nothing wrong with any other leisure activity. If you think videogames are a waste of time then why are you having sex (if you are posting here maybe you aren't) - sex achieves nothing, it can take a few hours, even if the act itself doesn't take that long it might take some time to find someone to have sex with you for those here that are single - you aren't learning any skills, you aren't working on anything useful, you're just wasting time.

If you are having sex but think videogames are a waste of time you are triggering me with your double standard and need to re evaluate your entire life.
>>
File: ha.jpg (40KB, 398x368px) Image search: [Google]
ha.jpg
40KB, 398x368px
>>985069
>check ID
>goy
>>
Video games. I'm the boss and sometimes there's just no work so I go play xbox with the guys on break.
millionaire and chill bros
>>
>be me
>play a card game for a living
>>
>video game hobby

That's kind of like saying you have an "alcohol hobby" or "masturbation hobby."

Don't worry though OP, you can do whatever you want in your down time. I know a shitload of losers that have nothing to them outside of a boring job and a pointless hobby. Conventionally, they're "successful" in that they have an "ok" job.
>>
>>985588
just do whatever the fuck you want dude why are you looking for validation from complete strangers
>>
>>985719
This.

Since when did /biz/ get so many loser videogayme apologists?
>B-but it's just like reading!
>>
>>985721
Because it feels good
>inb4 being validated on 4chan is a hobby
>>
Seriously.. fucking white people man

This is some twilight zone shit, I can't believe it

This whole board is unbelievable
>>
My Finance professor once told me "Do something you're good at to afford to do the things you love. People who pursue the things they love as a career become miserable, because it becomes work and takes away the fun."

This guy is probably over 50 years old. Managed a $1B AUM New Jersey Hedge Fund for almost 20 before becoming a professor. He still plays Call of Duty and has have of the class on his friends list on Xbox Live. He also makes homemade furniture and brings in little wooden figurines he hand carved around Christmas time to give to us. He's a swell guy.
>>
>>985728
>B-but muh improved hand eye cordination!
>>
>>985739
>one out of 100000000 manchild losers who live with their parents at age 26
>>
>>985753

>stop having fun

Are you sure you aren't projecting?
>>
Used to love video games a lot. Then life happened. I like being in the company of good friends more now. Dropped video games entirely.
>>
>>986354
this
>>
this fucker is saying I will get shit as a STEM major? I'm switching to finance.
>>
>was never heavily into games as a child, though I enjoyed them and owned many
>now I would like to replay many games and start on some newer games
>built some kickass PC for said task
>can't find the patience to play more than 60-90 minutes a week
>can't really get into most games

Sucks even though I badly want to play a bit here and there, especially on weekend nights when there isn't much else to do.
>>
>>986354
reverse it for me. had lots of friends, then life happened, most of them died, and now ive dropped friends entirely.
>>
>>985069
>waste it numbing their brain
Except video games have been proven to permanently improve your problem solving abilities. Even just shooters like Call of Duty.
>>
>>986600
>Except video games have been proven to permanently improve your problem solving abilities

A tiny bit, and only compared to sitting staring at walls.

Reading and such is much more beneficial for your brain.
>>
>>986606
Except you're wrong and just making shit up with no citations.

>http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0747563212000143

>http://www.sciencealert.com/play-these-6-video-games-to-help-improve-your-problem-solving-skills
>>
>>985728
Except it is exactly like reading. Or drinking, or masturbating, or sex. They are all things which accomplish very little but which people partake in. Seems odd that a lifestyle of doing what you want is frowned upon by /biz/ when the sole goal of being rich is so you can do what you want.
>>986606
What makes reading better? There is still reading involved in most, if not all, videogames. In many there are social interactions (if you are playing online) which require the development of teamwork or at the very least co-ordination and some form of leadership or co-operation.

Lets not pretend that videogames are the same hobby as say, playing a piano, but the end result is kind of irrelevant if you are only doing it for yourself and for fun or enjoyment. What does it matter if you spent 100 hours on a game or 100 hours practicing piano, your life shouldn't be constantly dedicated to working on employable skills all day erryday. You have to enjoy some parts of your life. Anyone saying otherwise is the epitome of wage kek.
>>
>>986646
>What makes reading better? There is still reading involved in most, if not all, videogames

D..d-did you just compare reading literature to reading speech dialogues in videogaymes???

>In many there are social interactions (if you are playing online) which require the development of teamwork or at the very least co-ordination and some form of leadership or co-operation

Yelling at people/typing in caps calling them retarded noobs and to kill themselves is NOT social interaction. Social interaction pretty much requires talking in person to others, how else would you learn social skills?
>>
File: dontlikething.png (298KB, 500x628px) Image search: [Google]
dontlikething.png
298KB, 500x628px
>>985065

Does it count to be a successful gamer if your profession is making video games?

I'm not wealthy by any stretch but:

>29
>Pulling 130k + top of the line benefits
>Married to a qt
>In great shape
>Learning every day

Honestly all I do is work/study, work out, watch shows with my wife, play vidya, and eat awesome food.

I find most people who disdain video games watch a lot of TV, but maybe they're all regular Tesla's, holed away in their Iron Man labs doing great things that are just way above us filth.

Again though, not sure if it counts considering any video games I play could arguably be viewed as doing "market research".
>>
>>987701
>Does it count to be a successful gamer if your profession is making video games?

This is the exception. Profiting off manchild retards is 100% ok.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.