[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the hottest industries to be a developer for nowadays?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

What are the hottest industries to be a developer for nowadays? Finance? Artificial Intelligence? I'm essentially taking the next 6 months off work to learn programming and tailor a portfolio towards a certain field.
>>
>>979431
You need to dedicate years for anything cool like artificial intelligence. You could conceivably become a web developer in half a year though.
>>
File: anonymouse.jpg (60KB, 720x556px) Image search: [Google]
anonymouse.jpg
60KB, 720x556px
>>979431
wearing a dumb faggot mask and pretending to be anoonymouse
>>
>>979441
If something like AI is to far of a jump for 6 months, is there a more entry level job that would serve me for experience better than webdev? I doubt I could be very passionate about webdev
>>
>>979454
I googled "hacker" and picked the image that bothered me the most
>>
>>979457

Databases.
Study datawarehousing techniques, learn how to handle massive amounts of data quickly and efficiently.

Shouldn't be too hard to find a job in the banking/insurance industry (through consulting firms)
>>
>>979431
Apps?
>>
>>979498
Good luck- app market is so over saturated that you won't have a hit app unless you have a multi million dollar viral marketing budget or have your app be attached to another developer/franchise(and if that was the case they would have their own in house devs and not you)
>>
>>979498
>Apps?

You need to be a good developer with years of exp to make something worthwhile tho.

You're not going to read one book or watch a youtube series and learn how to code mobile apps like some would lead you to believe.
>>
>>979496
this. This this this this. I've got a buddy who's real good with data and it is abundantly clear that he'll never hurt for work.
>>
>>979431
R U M B L R
u
m
b
l
r
>>
>>979431
>taking off 6 months to "learn programming"
lmao!!!!! good luck. you won't master a programming language within 6 months. you will not be able to do anything of value within that time frame. Go to school for 6 months instead, you're better off
>>
>>979649
I'm special
>>
>>979431
b2b saas
>>
>>979649
School won't teach you shit about development in six months.

If OP is truly committed to learning, he can pick up far more in six months on his own than in school.

But a year interning at an agile bleeding edge startup was probably the richest and densest learning experience of my career thus far.
>>
>>979679
I agree you won't learn much about programming in 6 months at school either. But you're better off taking a class or two along with self study instead of relying on self study alone. Just my opinion though.
>>
>>979649
Not to be a stickler but I did exactly that. Not saying that it is easy or that anyone can do it but it is within the realm of possibility if you have prior programming experience.

>working part time as a consultant so had free time
>decided to learn html, css, php, sql, and jquery
>got "for dummies" books from store and did tutorials on w3 schools online
>created a proof on concept for an online web application
>took about 4 months part time to get familiar with language and build the POC
>pitched it to CEO of big company
>after project was done billed a total of almost half a million
>>
>>979683
Ah, if the courses were intensive and comprehensive I could see that working. It would help in at least guiding the direction of OP's learning with respect to programming fundamentals.

My main concern is that academia tends to be out of touch with the industry, even with the likes of CS.
>>
>>979689
What kind of POC was it? How did the idea come to you?
>>
>>979712
I can't really go much into detail about it but fucking hell I just thought of something else I can build while thinking about it. One thing I can say though is that it had to do with regulation. If you can follow new laws and initiatives that revolves around business compliance you can take advantage of them having to spend resources to stay in business or get new business. One opportunity I just stumbled on years ago was learning that a small startup had just secured a contract with a publically traded company and because they were handling sensitive data they had to follow SOX and GLB laws.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.