[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Answer these interview questions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: step_brothers_tuxedo_interview.jpg (82KB, 1024x685px) Image search: [Google]
step_brothers_tuxedo_interview.jpg
82KB, 1024x685px
I'm applying for a job where I will be asked behavioral interview questions. Does anyone here have experience with these types of questions? What are some solid answers to the following?:

>Tell me about a time when you worked with difficult team members. What did you do?
>Tell me about a time where you ran into competing work commitments and direction. What did you do?
>Tell me about a time when you were at risk of missing a deadline. What did you do?

How would /biz/ answer some of these questions? Thanks
>>
>>977563
you can't figure this out on your own?

I don't think you deserve the job you're applying for.
>>
>>977563
Always have 3-part answers for each question. For example:

One time at band camp we had a new hire who challenged all our methods. I called meeting of staff, brought our new hire's concerns to the attention of everyone and cleared the air resulting in immediately positive actions.
>>
>>977703
Also make sure you say what you learned from that experience. This is where you use the buzzwords.
>>
>Tell me about a time when you worked with difficult team members. What did you do?

Working on oil rig before the Alberta apocalypse: I did what I was told, asked questions only relevant to my work, took all verbal abuse on the chin, was a good sport about all the teasing.

>Tell me about a time where you ran into competing work commitments and direction. What did you do?

Told em I gotta go do this before I can do that

>Tell me about a time when you were at risk of missing a deadline. What did you do?

>Be driving truck to deliver replacement part to construction site
>workers can't work until I get there with part
>I'm 15 hours away and already worked 8 hours moving oil rig
>they want me there ASAP
>I pull over and sleep in truck in Canadian Rockies
>Client calls me expecting me to be in Vancouver by now
>lol nope I'm still in the Rockies.
>Gets all upset
>I say sorry, I can't legally work for 8 hours then drive 15 hours straight to fucking Victoria overnight
>Says ok
>I get back on the road and get there later that afternoon.
>>
>>977563

google STAR interview answers; its a systematic process which is kind of common sense but interviewers like it
>>
>>977563
STAR

Situation
Task
Action
Result

set up your answer following that formula. they want to see that you can identify a problem in a real world setting, figure out how to solve/mitigate it, and see that you reflected on what you did and learned something from it.
>>
What do I do if I've never had any of these things happen, or my answers are insufficient?

Never really happened before

I worked two jobs before and quit one for the other because the schedules didn't work

Worked harder

Should I just make up some stories?
>>
>>977894
How do you drive to Victoria? I usually have to take a ferry.
>>
File: 1418391540162.jpg (100KB, 740x740px) Image search: [Google]
1418391540162.jpg
100KB, 740x740px
>>977703

ah well you know.. once on Counter Strike, I was teamed up with tease russians that only wanted to play support. Thing is, there has to be a medic, so after a ruthless argument, we decided as group that id be medic until someone better comes along. Preety reasonable, I gave then hell
on one hand, I was getting ready for school, but on the other, my CS team really need me to play medic. So I did the honorable thing and left no man for dead. Many would have just went to school, but I knew more was at stake.
well once, in CS there were these bombs and was we did was I would closely follow my mates and cover them if need be.
everything from scouting the area, creating diversions, which usually ended up me being dead, and sending credits bough with my moms credit card. So yea
>>
>>977563
>>Tell me about a time when you worked with difficult team members. What did you do?
I hacked his computer and installed a virus.
>>Tell me about a time where you ran into competing work commitments and direction. What did you do?
Said yes to everything and played vidya instead
>>Tell me about a time when you were at risk of missing a deadline. What did you do?
Took amphetamines and handed in a great paper.
>>
>>978088
but there is no medics in counterstrike.
>>
>>977703
This. Situation, action, result.
>>
>>978052
yeah from the sound of this sounds like they would just want you to follow that STAR system
>>
File: 1448584980648.jpg (52KB, 626x460px) Image search: [Google]
1448584980648.jpg
52KB, 626x460px
>>978088
That was pretty funny.
>>
>>978052
>What do I do if I've never had any of these things happen, or my answers are insufficient?
My problem exactly.
>>
>>978052
All of these questions are about collaboration.

It honestly depends on where you work, but I've gotten hired from answering these questions by letting the interviewer know I was empathic, professional, and would use my colleagues and myself as resources to get the job done as efficiently as possible.

Also, the last one, it's not to include that you are willing to do overtime.
>>
>>980601
Don't feel like deleting and reposting to edit: I meant in the last one, no matter what you answer, include you are willing to commit to overtime to get the job done.
>>
>>977563
>>Tell me about a time when you worked with difficult team members. What did you do?

Well it depends what you mean by difficult. If you meant they had a challenging personality, I remained professional during our interactions.

>>Tell me about a time where you ran into competing work commitments and direction. What did you do?

I don't understand this question, can you give me an example scenario?

>>Tell me about a time when you were at risk of missing a deadline. What did you do?

I cannot recall any times where I have risked missing a deadline.
And that's how I'd personally answer those questions in the first instance. Probably why I don't have a great job.
>>
>>977563
I sought personal dialogue with them. I tried to get to know them better, so I could understand them better. You know, personal level and shit yo. Then I addressed their personal style and managed to 'fit them in'.

>tfw i read this question 4 times and still don't get what you want from me

It's called critical path. It's there for a reason. Reaching this point, you have basically 2 options:
a) cut it off. cut the losses. and move on
b) get it together and finish it
It mostly depends on the stakes.
>>
What's really shitty about behavioral questions is you need a decent amount of experiance just to have answers that arnt total lies.

Here is a behavior question I was asked for a borderline entry level job:

>"Tell me about a time you lead a diversity initiative"

Me:
>NO
>>
>>980864

top kek

should have replied with

>Never. I like my cis white male privilege
>>
>>980864
My answer to that would be:
"I wouldn't. Artificially creating diversity isn't proper or politically correct, it encourages discrimination in the hiring process. The best fit for the job deserves it, this goes for both females applying to a male-dominated industry and males applying to a female-dominated industry, etc. for each minority demographic."

Stick to your guns people, don't let anymore compromise your morals.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.