[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Manipulating the Market

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

/Pump&DumpGeneral/

but actually, i've been thinking about this a lot: if enough hype is generated around a small cap company (think smaller than 100million but larger than a penny stock founded in the basement of your neighbors house), the price can definitely be manipulated, especially if the PPS is small and huge volume can be generated.

but something even more concerning for me is how little hype is required IN THIS DAY AND AGE to move these mid-cap stocks, especially biotechs. Martin Shkreli bought KBIO last week and their share price went easily from 1-2 bucks to 40 bucks a share - easy 2000% growth because some 23 year old decided to step in and buy a failing pharma company.

Look at CYCC, cyclacel pharma. One dingus reporter at bazinga news outlet decides to publish an article saying there are RUMORS that martin is buying out the company, and the next thing you know, CYCC jumps 49% on a half holiday market day on huge volume.

is manipulaitng the market this easy? can i just become a reporter, put a thousand g's in a biotch, and then take advantage of the situation by saying "i may have heard someone say this influential dude is gonna buy this company" and then ride the rollercoaster? it's free speech, and the SEC shouldn't have a problem with it, right?

It's the same thing as if I went on biz and told all you dingos that berkshire halfway home was gonna buy some bullshit iron company, right? I'm just trying to wrap my head around the malleability of the market, and maybe some of you understand it better than i do.
>>
>>976076
As far as I know, if you write articles about stock companies, you have to disclose whether you own stocks in them or not. Can't back up that claim with anything, though.
>>
>>976076
what about the blogosphere and twitter and such?

4chan has shown us that starting rumors that will be reported on by the press as fact until someone catches it is way easier than it ought to be.
>>
>>976100
i know when you give stock advice you have to say whether ot not you are invested and the liscenses you have to advise clients on investing. however, in this case, it's a journal reporter not giving "advice" per se on a specific investment but rather spreading a possibly true rumor about an acquisition...blurry line

>>976111
i bought PRAN at one point under a 4chan ignorance phase where i thought the little guys were right, made .5% and broke even but i imagine posts on this board have screwed people over real bad......can't imagine real blogs that have follows and stuff
>>
>>976076
CAN YOU GUYS GIVE ME SOME ADVICE AS WHAT TO BUY AND FOR HOW LONG??
>>
>>976185
buy NEWL
>>
>>976186
only American stocks faggot.
>>
>>976133
you idiot, you were supposed to SHORT PRAN
>>
>>976189
if i had shorted PRAN i would have lost money as it was stagnant for a long period of time
>>
>>976076
manipulating market in ongoing updward trend is possible, even likely if the company's market price is relatively small. but other cases it's tougher task.
>>
Well Martin Shkreli definitely isn't 'some 23 year old', he's a 32 year old ex hedge fund manager and current owner of a bigger pharmacy company

He might've bought the company to begin with, with an intent to manipulate

It looks like it was shorted in March, why hadn't people covered?
Where do you get ideas on what to trade?

Earlier I had the idea to do investigative journalism on these shity ass companies
Apparently Shkreli listed reading sources for Lanzilumab - the supposed reason why he invested in KBIO - it would be possible to read the sources, find flaws and write a piece on it being just hollow manipulation by a proven scam artists and that he was going to dump any day
>>
>>976654
Martin Shkreli had stated he was looking to acquire about 3 more companies after KaloBios, 2 which had phase2/3 in works and 1 with an approved product to help the balance sheet. I have a list of about ~200 biotechs that i "try" to follow daily but really only keep track of about 20 that I believe are top targets for acquisition or approval...it's not rocket science but you do need to put in the work

I invested in CYCC about a few months ago under the impression of a 10% correction due to being below cash value. it's not a perfect play but it can work...needless to say the rumor about Martin Shkreli has put my profits to new levels, but I'm questioning whether to sell. normally i would take my 100% and skadaddle..but if the rumors are true, then 2000-4000% growth is possible

I saw the list he published on his twitter that led to the decision for the acquistion..it's largely bullshit. I worked in an oncology and immunology lab for 3 years and a lot of the published research is bunk. I can't find one good reason why he would acquire them right now. They were a failing company that in 1-2 years would be delisted and most likely bankrupt shortly after

The thing is though, Shkreli can't sell his position right now, so any profits he would have made over the manipulation are false rumors. It's an interesting case and I'll continue to do my due diligence and research more...

BTW take a look at SNTA and ABIO....
>>
>>976716
I really doubt lighting will strike twice with Shkreli; you should probably get out now

Do you only watch biotech because of your real life experience in the industry?
Other than that, you do you go about watching the market - remember I'm not a trader

SNTA is taking on a new director from CAM while Kovner is unloading fast - I don't know what to think. If he was planning a sale, why would he unload

ABIO seems like it's being pumped

What are you thinking?
>>
>>976856
i only invest in biotech because of my relevance to the field but i watch the market on a daily basis because of my current job (investment banking). it's not really relevant to my daily due diligence but generally speaking you shouldbe fluent in the market if you work on wall street and from just reading the journal every day

i think SNTA is somewhat of a lost cause because the insider unloading that went on the past few weeks but I do believe they might be acquired in the future, but not right now. they are hovering at cash value and shouldn't...key word shoudln't...go any lower

I firmly believe lightning doesn't have to strike twice to invoke fear in people. I think come Monday, the rumor about an MS acquisiiton of CYCC will become apparent through a few more articles and that will ignite a larger jump in price. At this point I do not care if the rumors are true: the market will believe whatever it wants to believe. but Shkreli stated he would be looking to acquire 3 more companies by the end of 2015...so it is possible...

ABIO is a gut play. I think they are close to book value and might see some rebound soon. regardless of a pump play or not, a quick 10% does not hurt
>>
>>976716
GET OUT ANON SHREKLI JUST SAID IT WAS SHIT ON HIS LIVESTREAM AND HE DID A VALUATION
>>
>>976076
these are success stories, don't have the statistics but I am pretty sure most pump and dump schemes don't accomplish much due to competition and the market adapting

remember this is almost zero sum, even if the company is legit it will most likely only grow around 5% to 10% a year, unless you have insider information or a far better analysis than the average investor you might as well bet on the knicks
>>
Anyone have relevant info on how to spot a merger/acquisition before it happens? Any signs or writings on the wall you guys have noticed?
>>
>>977154
just saw...one of the 224 people who watched the stream...really fucking hope it doesn't catch fire

please jesus forgive me for i have sinned, do not take my money
>>
>>977183
Microcap seems to make big moves and are notorious for pump and dumps
>>
>>976100
>only for registered market participants, is you rigging a wolf of wall street shop, don't worry
>>
File: kjeh.jpg (29KB, 298x291px) Image search: [Google]
kjeh.jpg
29KB, 298x291px
Statistically, microcap perfrom poorly. They have the highest chances to go to zero, and they dont have nowhere near the chances to double than stocks prices between $5 - $20
>>
>>976189
>>976614
Yes short PRAN, long DOGE and suck a million dicks at $1 a pop. Haven't we taught you anything?
>>
>>976185
Buy mjna
>>
>>976716
What do you think of MACK?
>>
>>976100
You do.

Source: my father used to do this for a living
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.