[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buying Silver

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (43KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 500x500px
I'm seriously thinking about buying 100 oz silver bar as an investment and would like your opinions. My only plan is to buy low sell high.
>>
>>971334
>My only plan is to buy low sell high.
What an innovative idea.

Question: how do you expect to know where the lows and highs are?
>>
Bars aren't good investments; I think of them as alternate ways of storing one's wealth. It's not something that I don't think is worth looking into but I don't see you making a huge profit.
>>
File: image.png (391KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
391KB, 2048x1536px
>>971340
Charts like this.
>>
>I'm seriously thinking about buying 100 oz silver bar as an investment
Ignoring the evidence that silver is a terrible investment, why would you want to buy a physical bar? Just purchase an etf.
>>
>>971344
Unless you can travel through time, the only part that matters is the very right hand side.

So are we going up or down?
>>
>>971334
I had a friend who had 4 100oz bars he picked up in the early 90's for like 1500ea and I went with him when he sold them during the spike for like 4,600ea im thinking.....it took sevral years but it was a good investment for him.
>>
>>971345
this, an ETF makes much more sense

there isn't much use in investing in physical metal to store yourself - I guess in the UK gold coins are an exception as there is a capital gains tax exemption if they're legal tender... but with silver coins you get charged VAT (sales tax) so again pointless

I'd stick with an ETF if you're going to speculated on silver
>>
>>971334
silver's a good bet but if your only plan is to buy low sell high you should do it on leverage. start out buying 1x at current prices and then average down up to 3X. that should be safe enough.
>>
>>973098
I've always wondered what the 3x leveraging means. Care to teach an anon?
>>
silver is consumable and silver quantity world wide has dropped, so buy silver and put it somewhere safe for the next 2-6 years and you'll be rich, and if that doesn't happen, you can make medicine from silver and sell it.

last year i bought two kilos, a kilo costed me 670-ish, this year i bought a hundred oz for 2000 cad.
i'm thinking in 2016 if the kilo becomes 800 cad, i'd sell, otherwise wait for 2018, or until the jews force murica to forgive their debts.
>>
>>973140
big fail, it's almost the end of 15 and silver oz never went below 18. what did we learn from the past about predicting the future ? that you can't
>>
>>973162
>>973140
sorry i thought it was saying cad, nvm. but still, you can't predict the future.
>>
>>971334
Silver is a fucking terrible idea right now. Follow the market, silver has been crashing and if the fed raises interest rates silver is going to tank. fyi silver trends at 5 dollars an ounce, don't be stupid.
>>
>>973162
silver is at 14 dollars an ounce you retard. It's only going to drop. The fed can't lower interest rates anymore.
>>
>>971334
If you have enough, gold is a much better investment.
>>
>>971334
Precious metals directly are going to NEED to be long term investments. What is your time horizon?
>>
>>973766
Why is it that the silver price will crash if interest rates are raised?
Genuine question, as I am not wellversed in macro economies.
>>
>>971708
No VAT on an Andorra silver bar with stamp as they're an official "currency".
>>
>>974084
Silver value is in at least some part tied to the valuation of the US dollar. If the fed raises interest rates it means they're less likely to induce any form of quantitative easing. This means that silver prices will drop. As long as the US dollar printing press isn't churning 1,000RPMS there's no reason for PMs to stay up.
>>
>>974123
Interdaresting.

Is that in the US, UK, or a universal thing? Do currency bars get sold at a premium to account for this?
>>
>>974202
Ahh. That sorta makes sense to me. Thanks.
>>
>>974324
In Denmark, there's VAT on everything silver, even legal tender. However gold bullion is exempted.
>>
What is /biz/s take on the future prices of precious metals? Thinking 5-10-30 years into the future. Will silver return to 5-7 USD/oz, or will it rebound again?
What about less common PMs such as platinum or palladium ?
>>
>>974327
Hey man if you want some silver I can get you some of the tax-free shit in Canada. I'm flying to DK and I'll be in Århus and Skjern from December 26-Jan 4. I dont know which city on which date because I don't have the schedule on me, but yeah I'll charge cost of the silver + train ticket if Århus otherwise Ill bike to Skjern.
>>
https://silvergoldbull.com/

This is the website I buy from. It's about 5kr to our dollar but check xe for the more accurate conversion.
>>
>>971334
Don't do it senpai. I spent £1000 on silver at a "low" and it just keeps falling. Now I realise it's a dumb invesment because it generates zero income. Smh desu senpai, stick with stocks and bonds... mostly stocks.

I'd suggest using 1oz coins anyway. More liquid. I bought some face value ones from the BoE. Good move I think desu.
>>
>>975082
Fucking Lol.. I live in Århus. Just out of interest, what kinda silver is it? Maples, bars...?
>>
>>974327
Also what is the percentage in DK that constitutes bullion there? Is it 99.9% or is it less? Where do you buy your precious metals in DK? I was googling around to see if I could find out if DK mints their own bullion so I could get something DK and shiny for my skat but couldn't find anything. If you guys let gold bullion get purchased tax free if it even has a purity of say, 92.5%. Then I could smuggle in silver rounds/bars and smuggle out kruggerrands and then DK and Canada will have nice healthy trade partnership
>>
>>975092

Dude I'll be in Århus for Christmas. If you really want to do this I'll put the order in. I can get you Bars or Rounds. I don't think I get taxed on American Eagles either. Basically in my province (British Columbia) anything 99.9% or over in purity for Silver and Gold is tax-free. If I order online all I have to do is pay about 100kr in shipping.

The silvergoldbull.ca website will list what I can buy. Obviously Im not gonna bring in silver bullets but I can smuggle in some bars and coins.
>>
>>975093
Law (in Danish) : http://www.skat.dk/SKAT.aspx?oID=1921307

Gold bars/ gold plates of 99.5% are VAT exempt.

Gold coins over 90.0% (minted after 1800 AND are/has been legal tender) are VAT exempt.

There is of course some spread when buying gold coins, but I'm not quite sure how large it is.
>>
>>975106
Good to know friend. Thanks!

And yeah, if you do decide to get some silver and you want that nice tax-free canadian shit (I think the US has tax-free too but I don't know) let me know. I'll order it in and bring it to Århus and we can find a place over WhatsApp then you just pay me when we meet. I'll bring up to 50 oz of the stuff. Pretty sure I could do more so long as it doesn't exceed 10K euros but it's just for the off-chance I get skullfucked by frankfurt customs I won't lose too much.

If you decide to huehue and not pay what'll happen is I'll just give it to my girlfriend anyway lel
>>
>>975113
Do you have a throw-away mail I can contact, instead of discussing it on this indonesian coffe-brewing board?
>>
>>975118
I'll make one give me a minute
>>
>>975118
[email protected]
>>
>>975122
mailed from my @mail throwaway. Also, jewgolds.
>>
Yea dude silver is 14 bucks. If it drops to $7 its (lowest possible/ reasonable price) your only losing %50, but its more likely to go up from here. Its been in a bear market for years already since it hit 50 bucks and I was selling. The price could still go down a little but Id buy one bar now, one bar if the price hits $13, one bar if the price hits $12, and like 2 or 3 bars if the price hits $10 or less.
>>
The price of silver won't move enough to make it worth your while.

And the fact that you're holding physical silver (and in such a large bar) means you'd have a hard time getting out of it in a hurry when the time is right.
>>
Keep in mind that Silver is an industrial metal too, it's not purely a monetary play like gold is. That's why the price swings are much greater than gold.

That being said, $14 is a good price. Think of all the suckers who paid $45, $35, $25 for theirs. I should know, I took out a position at $22 on the downside expecting a rally. Didn't work. Thankfully I got in at $26 and sold at $45 on the upswing, so I'm still out ahead.

There is nothing stopping silver hitting the lows of 2008 except a bit of resistance at $10-$12. The upside potential now is more than the downside potential.

If you're going to buy physical, buy the product with the lowest premium. Low premiums are usually associated with the larger bars, and keep in mind that when you actually go to sell your metal, you'll only get spot price from the dealer no matter how shiny or pretty your bar or coin is.
>>
File: laughing 1984 author.jpg (63KB, 365x450px) Image search: [Google]
laughing 1984 author.jpg
63KB, 365x450px
>>971334
>purchasing an inflation hedge that's been tanking in value as an investment
>>
I'd also check out Mark Shepards permaculture farm if your interested in investing. That seems like the future to me. There's going to be huge massive money in organic food in the future. The worlds farmers are old men and the only thing replacing them is bigger corn tractors. People are going to pay more and more for organic fruits, nuts, meat, and veggies as the population increases and the quality of food continues to go down. At least I can tell you for sure i'll be forest farming and I was born with an investors gut.
>>
File: lommo.jpg (104KB, 594x633px) Image search: [Google]
lommo.jpg
104KB, 594x633px
>>971334
Silver is going gown if you haven't heard
>>
File: tumblr_inline_n3dhvb2IzN1sz03jf.gif (904KB, 160x210px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_n3dhvb2IzN1sz03jf.gif
904KB, 160x210px
>>975377
Not only that, but there is absolutely no evidence showing gold or silver are hedges against inflation. That's a sad myth.

Secondly, we are not going to have inflation anytime soon.
>>
Are you kidding me? Silver and gold fundamentally hedge against inflation.. All commodities do.

And if you don't think we're going to have inflation in the next 10 years after having interest rates at %0 and printing money then you need a check-up. The only reason the dollar is so strong right now is because its always been a safe haven and people have no-where else to go while china and japan print trillions and the euro is disintegrating.

Now i'd post a pic of a laughing bitch at you if I gave a fuck.
>>
Skip into about 3:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JZqdi6oKkY

Schiff predicts they are going to keep interest rates at %0 and print more money.. If that happens people will drive silver up to $100 or more. That's not even taking into consideration the DEBT! If China and other countries keep dumping treasuries because they don't think we will be able to pay them back we will have SEVERE inflation. Think about it people, whats going to happen when we have 25-30 trillion in debt. So you might be right that silver might go down another dollar, 2, or 3 but at some point in the next couple years were due for a massive rally.
>>
Also 12:45-14 in that video. Wow.

He's got me bullish on silver and gold looking into this again. You'd be crazy to not want to but some silver if it goes below $12. That's my assessment.
>>
A gold salesman tells be to buy gold, guess I gotta buy some gold then.
>>
>>975703
>>975578
>>975560
Schiff is a huge fucking shill. Should change his name.
>>
>>975705
How is he a shill?
I know he's made some cracked out predictions mixed in with the good ones but usually what he's saying is just his common sense world view that he's had for like a decade. IMO He has to be right, if interest rates stay at zero while the fed and all the central banks around the world are printing money and our debt grows astronomically forcing people to diversify into other assets and currencies then the dollar has to lose value. Isn't our only option to devalue the dollar to keep the economy alive just waiting for something to come along and to fix our financial shortfalls?
>>
>>975351

At this point, it's best to just buy silver because you want silver for being shiny. I like coins, so I get those from time to time. Not a huge investment and it's almost more like a side hobby than anything, one that doesn't really lose all value.
>>
>>974084
>>974202
I disagree with this. If interest rates go up, then the value of the dollar will increase. (This is just a fact) When the dollar is more valuable, less of them will buy the same amount of silver.
>>
Yes but they are not actually going to raise rates, they haven't for the last 7-8 years and it would be crazy to anytime soon. They know when they raise rates there is going to be a massive correction in the stock market and they will avoid that as long as they can because they want to be in control and not have people panic. The fed is bluffing about rates and when they announce they are keeping rates low for another couple years then people will buy silver. And with it being near the bottom of a correction it would be a perfect time for a nice rally.
Now, interest rates aside If the fed announces its going to print money again silver will skyrocket because thats what cause the spike to $50 last time.

And I'm not just talking out of my ass. I've been following the silver market for almost a decade. I bought thousands of dollars worth of silver from 2006-2009 when it was $7 an oz and sold it at $40-45.
>>
>>976271
How do you prefer to buy silver? Physical, investment paper, stocks or...?
>>
File: chloe.jpg (74KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
chloe.jpg
74KB, 960x960px
>>976271
Yout knowledge is just so low level it's sad. Go ahead, buy gold and silver with all your monies. I suppose you did that already 5 years ago when schiff was sure about gold shooting up to the stars.
>>
Physical for several reasons.
1. It is neat to own. Morgan dollars and Walking Liberty half dollars are awesome.
2. I've heard that most of the ETF's can't actually back up all their silver contracts and only own %20 at any given time.
3. If there is a financial crisis, you will be left with a worthless piece of paper if you don't own physical.
4. Contracts and certificates just add an extra layer of risk between you and your gold/ silver.
5. There are no "terms and conditions" with physical.
6. There are no reporting requirements with physical. (under $10,000 annually)
7. Great liquidity.

The main downside with physical is you need to make sure its not fake and to keep people from stealing it.
You could buy undervalued mining stocks and probably make a higher profit margin but I haven't gotten involved with that yet personally and its much more risky.
>>
I prefer silver with numismatic value.

>American Silver Eagles
>Morgan Dollars
>US, Canadian, Swiss, French pre 60s currency

Excellent store of value. Excellent premiums
>>
>>976392
You responded to my post when you didn't even read it all..... I said I bought silver already from 2006-2009 at $7 an oz when no one wanted it...
>>
>>976418
>>976417
You mention not getting swindled. Aside from buying from trusted sources, how do you check if it is actually silver?
>>
>>976426
the sound silver makes when you hit two coins together. It makes a "chinggg" sound that can not be replicated with any other metal.
Also you could buy some acid stuff online and drop it on the coin. If the coin turns green its fake and if not it's real.
>>
>>976444
Hmm, havent heard the sound method. Also, they shouldn't be magnetic at all, right?
>>
>>971708
in the Uk it's all about britannias no CGT and if you buy them elsewhere in the EU all due tax has been paid within the EU so you can pay lower rates or not pay any at all depending on the regs in the country you buy from
>>
>>976452
yup real silver isn't magnetic. You can also weight bars or do this ice cube test. >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaYh3SlRK0w&feature=youtu.be
>>
Ping tests and acid tests will result in coin damage.

Go to your local coin store, they will help you out
>>
File: 41586553.jpg (94KB, 1024x996px) Image search: [Google]
41586553.jpg
94KB, 1024x996px
>>977462
%99.99 of silver coins you buy at spot price don't have any numismatic value and are already incredibly worn/ damaged so one ping test isn't going to change the value or condition of the coin at all.
Obviously you wouldn't want to do a ping test on a coin in mint condition that you just paid a %300 premium for but were talking about scrap coins here..
>>
Not saying it'd be a bad idea to check out your local coin shop for information, but your going to end up paying %25-%30 more for their silver as opposed to buying from someone off craigslist.
The good thing about buying from a coin shop is you know its real and don't feel awkward/ pressured while testing it. Plus you don't have to worry about being robbed. Still I'd rather save %25 and buy from someone on craigslist, just be smart about it. Start out small with maybe 50 bucks until your more confident and feel safe about it.
>>
>>974202

The whole point of the interest rates going up is to address inflation.

The problem is that there's such a fuckhuge money supply out there now that it's possible that there could be a giant spike of inflation that's not possible to control with interest rates.

That's what all of these survivalist types keep on saying anyway, not that I am invested in this idea entirely or at all.
>>
>>971704

No offense, but 1500 >> 4600 in 20+ years isn't worth the opportunity cost for me, especially given the one-off circumstances that drove those prices to absurd amounts. Let's assume we have a spike like the previous one each 30+ years. That's a longgggggg time to leave money sitting in something that's not real estate or equities that you can trade in and out of over time. You could do the same with silver, but it's harder with physical bars.
>>
>>977928
You don't understand the silver market by assuming silver just makes random peaks ever 30ish years. There is a reason why people moved into silver in 2008-2010, it was not just some random occurrence. People moved to silver and gold because the federal reserve and multiple foreign central banks artificially slashed interest rates to zero and started printing money. As long as this crazy central bank planning is going on (which it still is) silver will be in a bull market. The only reason silver and gold have been getting killed recently is because the price went too high too fast, the fed hasn't printed money in years, and the dollar is very strong right now (mainly because china has devalued its currency and the euro is in turmoil).
All I'm saying is just wait and see what happens in the next 5 years, I can guarantee you there is going to be more currency/ dollar/ economy crises that will send silver back to up.
>>
>>978929

You're the same people that were buying hand-over-fist all the way down from 35 to 30 to 25 to 20...Silver, and gold, is a bust for the foreseeable future. However, I still think it'd be beneficial to start eyeing some up here down to 10, averaging down the entire time and selling on any spikes to 20+. This is a 'It'd be cool to have something I can hold and look at and one day it'll be worth twice the amount I paid for it' investment. If you're buying paper, or futures, or options you're betting on the wrong idea.

I understand why silver rocketed to 50. I was actually shorting it from 42ish with put options. That is a once in every 20-30 year event. I'm not saying you can't scalp 10% gains here and there from shorter term technical trading, but at that point why even bother with PM's.
>>
>>979015
No actually I bought in 2007-2009 at $7 an oz! I sold it ALL from $30-$50. I made over $10,000 and %350 in 3-4 years.
I just know its time to buy silver again soon trust me. Its time to buy oil too its just common sense. You buy things when they are relatively cheep.
>>
What if I just want to buy silver as a personal hobby of mine?
>>
>>979195
Buy it now. I've also wanted to do this. Get a nice treasure hoard of various precious metals and stones for my decedents to fight over. and silver is good and cheap. Although some anons say that it may go lower.
>>
See I was right. Todays big news is they arent raise rates.
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/economy-fed-janet-yellen-interest-rates-216272
>>
>>971334
Wow, silver is actually really cheap right now.
>>
>>973129
Leverage means you take out a loan, buy cheap silver now, sell when it rises back up, and repay the portion of your capital gains to the bank you borrowed from. So let's say you only have 5000$USD. If you want to leverage that amount 3 times, you would borrow 15000$USD to buy 10000 oz of silver at 15$USD. If and when silver rises to ~25$USD per oz, you sell all your silver and make 25000$USD. Then you pay back the 15000$USD you borrowed and pocket the 10000$USD as cash. You can get much greater returns using leverage than you would if you had just used your own money.
>>
>>980862
Yea but you dont want to be leveraged on something thats risky. Id be leveraged on oil if it goes down anymore or silver below 10 bucks but not when something still has room to go down. Id suggest buying some at 14 but not going all out yet.
>>
>>980868
Depends how much money you can afford to lose. That's the basic idea but there's more to it than that.
>>
>>971334
Buy the rumor sell the news? Which one are you doing OP?
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.