[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the best career options for a philosophy graduate?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: philosophy2carosel.jpg (276KB, 1280x640px) Image search: [Google]
philosophy2carosel.jpg
276KB, 1280x640px
What are the best career options for a philosophy graduate?

Pls no bully
>>
Journalist. Teacher. Librarian. Toilet cleaner. Some useless guy at city hall.
>>
>>970508
>Journalist
I guess I could do that
>Teacher
Nah that's gay
>Librarian
Also gay
>Toilet cleaner
No thanks
>Useless guy
No
>>
Miltary
>>
McDonald's worker
>>
>>970503
law school
>>
>>970518
go to law school, faggot.
>>
>>970571
>>970572
Good troll guys.

OP should definitely get an additional like $80k in debt so that he can become another unemployed lawyer.
>>
Military officer
>>
Starbucks
McDonalds
Chipotle
Burger King
Army
4chan Moderator
Diversity coordinator at big 4
>>
>>970518

>gay

Have fun being NEET, your "degree" is pointless loser.
>>
>>970503
Pretty much any business career that doesn't require a business degree. Something like an insurance underwriter or sales. At the very least, you can start in management somewhere and get another position after some time. Just look around. Look at companies in your area and see what positions they're looking for and qualifications. Most philosophy majors aren't jobless, and the average income is still far above non-college graduates, so clearly they're working, all memes aside.
>>
Philosophy teacher. That's literally all your useless degree is good for.

Good job on wasting years of your life, anon.
>>
Panhandling
Dick sucking
Human sacrifice
Welfare recipient
>>
Peter Thiel was a philosophy graduate.

He went into law.

Then financial derivatives trading.

Then started one of the most successful companies ever.

Your degree is not the only thing you have. You fucking losers need to stop thinking it as a ticket to anything. It's about as useful as a good suit at a job interview.
>>
OP don't listen to these plebs, I'm a vice president at a fortune 500 company and I would take a philosophy grad anyday over some sub-90 IQ frat business student or a STEMlord video game playing loser. People who show an interest in philosophy are automatically more intelligent than 90% of the population, and those who study it seriously are in the top 1%.
>>
Op do listen to these plebs, Im vice president of the United States and i wouldnt hire a philosophy grad to clean my toilet.
>>
>>970519
>>970603
I have been looking at that, part of me would love to join the Navy or Air Force, see the world, learn to become a leader, get paid to train, etc.
I haven't mustered the balls to just apply thus far but maybe I should just do it?
>>970571
>>970572
As this guy says: >>970576
Doing the law conversion is very expensive.
Both of my parents are lawyers and I keep asking them "should I just do the law conversion?" and they say "literally no, there are too many people qualifying as lawyers and none of them can get jobs" (UK by the way)
>>970646
True
>>970690
That's pretty awesome I never knew he did philosophy. That's good inspiration.
Still, for the reasons above, I don't think I can really afford law school (the law conversion course alone costs ~£8,000, then the Legal Practice Course costs another ~£8,000 - ~£10,000)
>>
>>970518
>Nah that's gay
as if you're in any position to call any job "gay" with your completely worthless degree and (presumably) massive student debt, you fucking waste of space.
>>
>>970712
/thread
>>
I read somewhere that philosophy majors make a good deal of money. Average at like 60 or 80, with the high being around 190k as the best teaching position you can get.
At least it isn't gender studies.
>>
>>970503
OP don't listen to these plebs, I'm a vice president at a fortune 500 company and I would take a worthless degree anyday over some sub-90 IQ frat business student or a STEMlord video game playing loser. People who show an interest in useless degrees are automatically more intelligent than 90% of the population, and those who study it seriously are in the top 1%
>>
>>970721
such low, low quality bait. I can't even tell if it's genuine bait or bait bait.
>>
>>970704
Just become an officer in the military. It's supposedly not that hard if you have any degree and are willing to study more.

If not then go to grad school and become a teacher
>>
>>970503
As a Philosophy graduate, I feel with you OP. Sad to say that no one pays you for knowing the difference between Heidegger's Dasein and dasein. I've had the degree for 5 years now and I can honestly say that it hasn't given me anything that I couldn't get from another diploma. If there's one thing good about it, is that we are so desperate for career options that we adapt to almost anything that gives us the slightest opportunity (which, like I say, isn't much). I'm currently working as a college instructor, and I like to think that my current success is due to me knowing how to instill different mindset which I learned from my program.

Currently my income comes from:

>College Prof
Shit pay but networking is unbelievable

>Head of R&D for a Blizzard's HOTS team
Pay is good compared to what little research/management I have to do

>Business Partner: Local Wigs Store
The head is a student of mine. I get 30% of revenue for doing some management.

>Business Partner: Food Cart
Again, student of mine. I get 20% of revenue after kickstarting his business with a small investment and help process papers.

>Indie Game Company (will release out demo this May)
All staff are my IT students and weaboos. Lead writer and screenplay. Currently relearning Blender3D for BG art.

>Statistician
Underhanded really. Students give their data. I charge them for it (cheaper rate than the other profs). Give data to a genius student of mine. He process it with SPSS. I give him a bonus grade.

So yeah... malleable. That's what philosophy is all about, I guess. Again, it's not something exclusive to a philosophy graduate. Hell.. an MBA will possibly do a better job than me. But again, it's all about mindset and instilling mindset, which we philosophy major should ought to have.
>>
Suicide, probably
>>
>>970748
Cont...

Right now, I'm taking in good money. But I don't know how long this will last. Again there's no "career" for us Philosophy degree holders beside being a prof. My most practical suggestion is to follow it up with criminal law (if you want to put philosophy into practice), divorce law (if you want to get frequent jobs), or tax law (if you want to be richer, or so I heard.)

As for me, I'll be taking up law specializing on digital copyrights.
>>
>>970748

Net worth?
>>
>>970690
If both you parents are lawyers the market saturation of law grads doesn't affect you. Go to law school and your parents will get you a job. It's a very nepostistic field, trust me.
>>
File: Giorgio De Chirico -.jpg (336KB, 650x482px) Image search: [Google]
Giorgio De Chirico -.jpg
336KB, 650x482px
>>970503
Copywriter or marketing

I've done both with a philosophy degree and they have paid reasonably well. Planning to set up my own marketing agency once I have enough experience.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.