[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/biz/ I need your help, what are you some realistic options for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

/biz/ I need your help, what are you some realistic options for a new canadian engineer grad?

>be 22, senior in chemical engineering, minor in applied math graduating in may 2016
>live in Canadian oil patch, literally no one is hiring atm (me and my whole class are jobless)
>1 year of internship experience in an oil pipeline company
>have some student debt, but have plenty saved up to pay it off

Realistically, I would have job already lined up if this was 2014, but oil prices have really fucked up my plans. I've been thinking about possible alternatives to engineering, possibly consulting, possibly some business analyst position. I'm willing to move and I'm willing to do anything to start my career. What should I do /biz/? I would prefer not doing anymore schooling or not much more. Is there anything I can do? Will employers handle engineers for general analyst positions?

I feel kind of screwed desu, I did everything /pol/ said, get a good STEM engineering degree with decent G.P.A and experience. Was it all a meme?
>>
>>965482
why not go somewhere away from the oil patches to get a job
>>
>>965482
Are you the unemployed Canadian engineer i was talking to on /fit/?

I think he was either petroleum engineer or chem
>>
>>965482
also
>Astronomy(what), Astrophsyics(lolwhat), pure mathematcis
>Good-tier

>GEOGRAPHY AND FUCKING GEOLOGY
>OK-TIER

>Accounting and Finance are in meh-tier along with anthropology, what the fuck?
>>
>>965488
Moving away is scary, I have never lived by myself. Also don't want to deal with shit like getting vias's.

>>965493
nope
>>
>>965506
there's jobs in other parts of Canada if you didn't know. I'm sure you could find something in Calgary or Edmonton, if not then Vancouver and Toronto are available.

>>965496
falling for the age old college major tier bait
>>
>>965482
Get a masters.

May as well wait out the oil collapse in academia and invest more into your education.
>>
>>965496
As a person with both Accounting and IT background who works at a Big 4, I can tell you I agree Accounting is in the Meh Tier.
>>
>>965538
>As a person with both Accounting and IT background who works at a Big 4, I can tell you I agree Accounting is in the Meh Tier.

How?

Accounting with a professional designation is the easiest path to a $100k+ salary. Can you please enlighten me as to what is so "meh" about it?
>>
Ah, the old entitled kid whinge.

Listen mate, you're fodder for the booms and the busts. Right now it's a bust, so you get nothing.

During the booms, sure you'll get your six figures once the per diems and the mileage adds up, but it'll be thankless and you'll live in a hole like Fort Mac.

The only ones who get the steady jobs are the ones with the passion. The ones who aim high but mean it and love their subject.

Good luck
>>
>>965496
Geology okay ? that's only because of the boom bust lifestyle.
>>
>>965560
Geology is ok. Geography? Kek.
>>
File: image_14.jpg (819KB, 650x2047px) Image search: [Google]
image_14.jpg
819KB, 650x2047px
>>965482
>industrial engineering finally appearing in these charts
It's something
>>
lol god tier is just what you like to do and what u care about
>>
>>967379
>God-tier:
>Things I am majoring/minoring in, or was considering majoring in

>Shit-tier:
>Things I am NOT majoring/minoring in, and don't wish to study

That's every list tbqh
>>
Why is IT considered such a low tier career path? I don't even have a degree and I make 100k doing enterprise. If I had a degree it'd be 125k.

There no other field where so many can make so much money with so little formal training. It's nuts. And everyone thinks nursing is a better choice for some ducked reason.
>>
>>966906
Geologist here. We (my profession and society as a whole) would be pretty boned without geography people. Most of them tend to go into GIS which is just modern map making. All the field data in the world that's gathered doesn't mean shit if someone can't make sense of it.

sage for stupid thread
>>
>>965482
Why are linguistics and Geography ranked so high?

I took a class in Cultural Geography and we had to write a paper about a song we attributed to a certain place, and I wrote my paper on how I attributed the song "lifestyle" to the bus I took to campus, because the ghetto bus driver would play it every sing day.
>>
>>965482
Go into water treatment, there are places for chemical engineers other than the oil and gas industry.
>>
>>967406
Bullshit, gis is the easiest thing in the world. Any monkey can do it (that's why I do it myself)
>>
>>965482
>Mechanical Engineering
>lowering than Aerospace or half of the other meme majors in that "God" tier list
If Boeing wants to design a new seat, will they hire a mechanical engineer who had a preference/background in aerospace, or an aerospace autist who can only understand and speak to planes?

Which project is Boeing likely going to assign to the newbie, the chair project or the fuselage?
>>
>>965541
Not him, but my cousin graduated at tOSU pre-2008 crash with a 3.2 GPA with plenty of experience, but he still needed a Master's for the field, I don't even want to know what the field looks like now
>>
>>970167
Just a troll pic. Chill buddy.
>>
>>965511
>I want to make money but I don't want to grow up
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.