[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are manufactured homes good to live in? I know they are depreciating

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

Are manufactured homes good to live in? I know they are depreciating assets, but are they cheap on utilities, easy to maintain, etc.?

I'm about to turn 22 and have $50K saved up and it's time to move out of my parents house (they want me to move out by this time next year). I want to buy a trailer in cash so I don't have to worry about monthly rent or mortgage (also because I'm self employed and have an irregular income).

I don't think I can afford a brand new one, but maybe I can buy a <5 year old one for $20-30K. Where should I begin searching? Are they only allowed in trailer parks? Anybody here live in/own one? How easy are they to rent out once I move out?
>>
http://www.amazon.com/Car-Living-Your-Way-Practical/dp/0964957337
>>
>>962495
>greatest country in the world
>>
>>962506

http://www.amazon.com/Oppressed-Butt-Inclusive-Holiday-Coffee-ebook/dp/B017UW5POQ/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

Must read.
>>
>>962495

You should be able to buy a small house for the amount of money you have. A trailer has monthly lot rent, around this area about $250-300. Sometimes you can put a trailer on your own land, but need county permission.

Really all depends on where you live.

I have known several people that live in these.

Apartments in my area are like $500 and up for rent, mostly up. Seems like just throwing money away to rent.
>>
File: 1446003851170.png (308KB, 492x419px) Image search: [Google]
1446003851170.png
308KB, 492x419px
>>962495
trailers are a trap

once you get into the park you can never leave
>>
>>962495
You either have to rent somewhere to set it ( trailer park lol) or buy land to set it on.
>>
>>962512
better option than the UK - we've got strict planning laws here, there isn't necessarily a lack of land but there is almost no chance that you'd get permission to set up some cheap home/trailer in the middle of designated 'green belt' land

at least in the US you can still own your own home with minimal capital and start saving - you're pretty much forced into renting in the UK until you save up enough for a deposit
>>
>>962589
this is what i'm concerned about. i'd like to get a trailer either as a retail play - buy land in an up-and-coming area and then sell it in a few years, or get a trailer on a plot of land and build the house on my own over a couple of years.
>>
I considered the same thing a few years ago. Decided not to after some research (and several family members lived in trailers in their 20s, they didn't recommend it.)

You could probably find a decent used single-wide for around $10k, but there's a few things you should consider:

- Everything in these are cheap. The cabinets/doors are usually always made of particle board and the walls in these things are basically a step above cardboard. Plumbing and wiring problems will guaranteed cause you a lot of headaches. Trailers aren't built to last. You'll rarely find one over 10 years old that's still in livable condition.

- Park fees could be as much as apartment rent. Finding a spot that's dirt cheap/free on a piece of property instead of a renting a spot in a trailer park is the way to go. More privacy too.

- When/If you move, you'll have to go through the trouble of selling it/moving it.

- Don't rent out a trailer. Bad idea when you consider how cheaply made everything is. Repair costs could potentially wipe your profits and tenants will always be calling about a broken cabinet or plumbing leak.
>>
File: aGKT3IF.png (193KB, 670x535px) Image search: [Google]
aGKT3IF.png
193KB, 670x535px
>>962842

Thanks for your input. There's only one trailer park nearby, and the lot rent is $300 a month. Even for a studio or one bedroom apartment around here, it's going to cost at least $600. That doesn't include utility bills. The trailer park here only allows trailers 10 years old or newer, and isn't all that "white trash" to get trapped into. In fact, it seemed to be mostly older retired people, nice yards, nice manufactured homes, etc. They have a brand new single wide for sale but it's $36K. They got a few double wide more house like ones for sale but they are in the $50-70K range. Currently no used ones up for sale.

And I know what you mean by the cheap stuff. My Dad lives in a trailer out of town (old piece of shit) and every Winter he has pipes cracking, water freezing, roof leaking, etc. But his trailer is from the 70s and should be condemned. He mostly uses it to hoard shit and lives in his workshop he runs his business out of.

I figured I could buy something, have low cost of living, and save up for something nice in 3-5 years, rather than renting. Then when I move out, I could rent to a family member or under HUD housing or something. I should mention I'm only 21 and have self employment income, so getting a mortgage is impossible. I tried everywhere, despite my higher than average credit score.
>>
In 2008 I bought land and bought a 30 year old trailer and fixed it up. A decent house on more than one acre in my area was around $190k, I had about $35k down, assumed I would get a home loan but was denied because of my low credit score.

4 acres: $20k,
trailer: $2k
repairs: $3k
transporting: $2k
septic: $2k
well: $700
electric: $3k

So for about $33k, I had a singlewide trailer placed on my land. I sold the land and trailer 4 months ago for $62k.

No complaints. Im pretty glad I got to step away and come out ahead financially, it beats renting.
>>
Manufactured home sales bro here in the south.

I work for one of the top-end brands. Professional courtesy dictates that I will not tell you which one.

Do not put it in a park.

Buy an acre or something.

Realistic costs would be :

hookups for utilities: 2500
Permanent foundation: 2000 (for a singlewide, if you want to sell it to some good Goy who'll finance the land and home)
skirting (steel, as vinyl is shit and you aren't going to want to pay for a nice masonry wall around it): 1500.
Land price: lmao figure that out yourself.

Do your research on brands you're looking into purchasing.

Some are made cheap as shit, and others are made to compete with site built. Quality depends entirely upon the brand.

Things to look out for:

1/2" drywall; either tape and textured or with wall-paper over it.
16" on center wall spacing.
2x4 walls
2x6 floor joists
pex plumbing
osb or plywood decking
hardwood cabinets
conduit-ed copper wiring
porcelain sinks

These are the absolute bare minimums that a decent brand will build into their homes. Coincidentally, decent brands frame their homes as well (and in many cases better) than new site built homes in the 120-175k price range (deep south pricing).

Some companies build "Trailers", and others build "manufactured homes". It's a sure tell on how the employees see the quality of their homes.
For full disclosure's sake, homes from my brand have lasted over 30 years. It's all in how you take care of them: just like any house. Unfortunately, the majority of the industry's consumers are mouth breathers who buy the cheapest house possible and treat it like shit.

Yes, you can rent them. Imagine you are a blue collar worker. What would you rather rent for 700 bucks a month: a tiny apartment in town, or a 3 bedroom house in the countryside.

Buy a 50k single-wide, live there until you turn 30. If you didn't even sell it, you've paid 520 or so a month in rent. If you sell it, congrats, you can recoup 20-30k and have paid even less.
>>
>>963881
To continue, something I deal with quite often is people misunderstanding what exactly goes into a manufactured home.

Yes, some brands are bargain bin homes that use "trailer parts".

Others, will use site-built materials and other than the standard single-wide exterior will be indistinguishable from a site built on the inside.

I grew up in a 4000 square foot custom built home. 20 foot vaulted ceiling on the entryway, granite on every surface, solid maple cabinets, etc etc so on and so forth, so please do not think what I am about to say comes in poor taste.

Some of these homes truly are indistinguishable from a site built home.

9 times out of 10, when people begin to hit me with "I just don't think I could live in a TRAILER" they simply cannot afford the home.

With the proper research you will find a cost effective, and beautiful, home without having to fall prey to the mortgaged jew.
>>
>>963899
>>963881

Do you work for Clayton? My Grandma retired and sold her house and bought a Clayton manufactured home. It's a double wide but looks like any other normal house. It came with hardwood cabinets, laminate flooring, central, air the whole nine yards a normal house would have. She sold her house for $190K. She spent like $70K for the home and another $50K for land, and had money left over which was nice.

I was considering buying one already on a lot in a trailer park, but after some research, I think I'm going to invest in a 1-5 acre plot of land, get a single wide, and then save to have my own house built, probably a cookie cutter modular home than a custom designed one. If I don't even make it to the getting a single wide trailer step, I at least have my money invested in a plot of land that I can sell, rather than something in a trailer park that would be a bitch to sell.
>>
>>963928
No I do not. Companies that produce homes in my class of manufactured homes consider Clayton a bargin bin company.

Claytons are kinda middle of the road, desu lad. I wouldn't live in one, but they aren't horrible.

However, Clayton is owned by Berkshire Hathaway and now exists to sell their loan products. (Gotta get dat dere mortgage interest).

Certainly not as bad as some of the brands out there.
>>
>>963933

Any brand of modular or manufactured homes you would recommend? I've only ever heard of Clayton. Didn't know others existed. Thought it was monopoly industry.
>>
>>963937
Haha, oh god no.

Buy yourself a copy of the Grissim Guide to manufactured homes.

It will go through all of the companies that build homes, and assign objective ratings to all of them.

Do not buy a home from any company not rated a 7 out of 10 or above.

8 out of 10 and above compete with site built.

I cannot recommend any companies, as it would be in poor taste (and I am not going to shill for my own).

The industry is not a monopoly. There are probably 50 or so builders out there. I truly love the company I work for, and intend on buying myself a single-wide in the coming year, and putting it on a few acres.
>>
>>962495
Modular homes =/= trailers, guys. You can buy a manufactured house that looks, feels, and has exactly the same value as a house built on-site.
>>
>>963953

Modular != Manufactured
>>
>>963993
And modular versus manufactured has nothing to do with the look of the home. Just if it's built to your local site built code or not (as opposed to whatever that company decides to build their homes to). Modulars are automatically real property as opposed to personal property as well.
>>
>>962587
A house in the 50k range in most places is either gonna have very little land with it, be in horrid condition, or be the best house in niggerville.

50k can get you a good couple of acres of land out away from the city and a brand-new trailer of good size and quality. Actually, OP, if I were you, I'd go to the most reputable dealer in your area and ask to look at used and refurbished homes. Better value and they usually have 10 year warranties after refurbishing.
>>
>>963993
all modular homes are manufactured homes, just not vice versa.
>>
I've only heard of one trailer story that made me say "That was a smart idea"

A couple bought a completely busted up trailer for ~$5k. He was a contractor for plumbing and carpentry, so he fixed everything up himself. She was a nursing student.

Eventually she became a nurse practitioner and he started his own company. Their combined income shot up to over 300k.

The trailer had pretty much reached its depreciating limit and they sold it for ~3k after five years of living in it. They sold it and bought a nice house with no black people in the neighborhood
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.