[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this one of the smartest business decisions of the year? >original

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: XCOM2.png (52KB, 916x498px) Image search: [Google]
XCOM2.png
52KB, 916x498px
Is this one of the smartest business decisions of the year?
>original release date of XCOM 2 around the date of Fallout 4 (which is now battling Dota 2 for most played game on steam)
>decide to release it 3 months after when virtually no games are releasing to PC and the hype for Fallout 4 finally dissipates
>decide to suspend most news about XCOM 2 only releasing a few bits and pieces to keep the hardcore fans following
>in addition gives them time to release mod tools on launch, optimize for PC even more (which PC players love), refine any game aspects that are sub-par
Compared to what Blizzard did with LotV this was simply amazing.
>>
So you're saying waiting to polish can make a product release better in the face of hyped competition? Now, where have I seen that before?
>>
>>962281
Considering I didn't even know there was an XCOM 2 coming out, and that I am part of the demographic they'd like to target (early 20 year olds with lots of disposable income), no it was not a good idea
>>
>turn based
as if any fallout fan would care about it.
>>
>>962321
People like other genres man. I liked the earlier fallouts and the earlier x-coms
>>
>>962312
That's the point. They aren't releasing any information about it until at least a month so it surfaces back up again. That's also really not their demographic I doubt people that young will be interested in XCOM. You'll hear a lot about coming months before release just like fallout.
>>
>>962281
HOW IS THIS BUSINESS OR FINANCE RELATED

>>>/v/
With this manchild faggot shit
>>
>>962325
>early 20s with money
>not the preferred demographic for any video publisher

Oh yeah, because 30 year olds love playing video games and teenagers always have money right
>>
>>962350
The game just doesn't really appeal to people like that. If every game company tried to make something like that it would saturate the market. Making a sequel to XCOM EU/EW with reusing assets and ALREADY having a pretty active fanbase with trying to expand it slightly is way less riskier and more profitable than spending loads on an advertising campaign. Niche genres still make money especially a strategy game on PC.
>>
>>962365
Did you ever play XCOM before? Or are you telling me it's a game the CoD kiddie demographic would pick up on?

Also

>milking the same fanbase over and over
>as the budget for each game swells

Great strategy, wow, I'm impressed.
>>
>>962373
>Did you ever play XCOM before
Yes I've played EU/EW and the earlier X-com games

>the cod kiddie demographic

That's exactly what I'm talking about that's the exact demographic Fallout 4 is targeting. Both are immensely popular among teenagers and young adults. Don't pretend like Fallout 4 is some "hardcore" game. Most adults who played the old ones prefer them and don't even like the new ones.

>milking the same fanbase over and over
99.9% of videogame publishers do this think of how much games have "diversified" in general since the ps3 very little at all tons of crap sequels though plus it's only the first Sequel in the reboot I seriously doubt Firaxis will go past XCOM 3.

>as the budget for each game swells
As opposed to what trashing all the assets and trying to shit out a AAA game from a studio that's not so large in a genre it has NO expertise or interest in? That sounds horrible. Strategy games can never truly target that "demographic" you're speaking of in this day and age.
>>
>>962329
How does it not belong here? I'm not going to lie I don't browse /biz/ much at all. I just naturally assumed all economic discussion even if remotely related to another board comes here.
>>
>>962281

Who cares.

Better questions:
Is 2k Games publicly traded?
What is their stock ticker?
How will this delayed XCOM 2 release effect their share price?
Is Blizzard or EA a better investment?
>>
>>962411
>2k games publicly traded

2K games is a subsidiary of Take-Two interactive they own both the Rockstar and 2k publishing labels. So no 2k games is not publicly traded, but Take-Two interactive is.

>What is their stock ticker
https://www.google.com/finance?cid=661250

>How will this delayed XCOM 2 release effect their share price

It will probably cause it to after its release based on the information that I've seen about the game.

>Is Blizzard or EA a better investment

I think both are pretty horrible in regards to recent financial decisions they've made (blizzard absolutely bombed the SC 2 LotV release) though I would have to go with which ever one is embracing mobile more quickly or EA if that's not applicable.
>>
>>962432
*rise
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.