[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Career advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: shutterstock_44169881.jpg (66KB, 700x465px) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock_44169881.jpg
66KB, 700x465px
Don't know how to green text edition...

>be me 2008 done with school land gig with big it corporation
>I was a technician until recently
>be me early 2015 get new job in same company, non technical. Basically service delivery manager.
>Mfw I get salary and job level increase promised, but still did not happen so far...
>Two days ago, sales manager approaches me asking me if I want to be a salesman.
>He offers me to ask his boss to basically pay me on-target earnings that translate to the double amount that I currently make.
>Mfw I don't know what do, because I like my current job and I am not sure if I can stand the pressure of a sales job.
>Also, in current job and the jobs before I always a top performer and kind of a shining star..

/biz/ please help, don't know what do?
>>
>>961345
SOUNDS LIKE YOU NEED A CLEARCV CV PACK SON
>>
why do you think I need a CV?
>>
>>961373
kek, nice
>>961345
Take the sales job, anon. Either you'll get a chance to go into a better field, or your manager will give you that raise to keep you.

If you end up hating the sales, update your resume and start applying to similar jobs; you'd be surprised how much it pays more. I was the "shining star" at my company for 40k, they updated me to 43k and gave me an "award" certificate with a $100 visa card. I smiled, took it, applied to a similar job, and got 70k.
>>
Sales is life. Strongly urge everyone to read as many sales books as you can. You are your most important deliverable. if people don't like you, they won't buy your product.
>>
>>961411
kek, I also got 2 awards "Best Employee" and "Best Team" last financial year.

Do you think current management will be pissed of since I started just a few months back for this new position?
The thing is I am coming from the support department and the job is to actually to sell the products that I supported before...
>>
I'm running into career problems and I could use some help deciding what to do, too.

I graduated with a degree in mining engineering one year ago with a 3.0 GPA and no internships. My work experience since then has been:

>Mill operator for 3 months (that mine shut down)
>2.5 months of unemployment
>3.5 months writing a feasibility report (left that job; was making less than minimum wage)
>Currently an EIT at a small, struggling civil engineering firm (work not related to my degree; pay is substandard; have decided I'm not a huge fan of civil work)

I want to find work related to mining or mineral processing, but the jobs just aren't out there. The majority of people that I graduated with haven't found work in the field, and minings outlook for the next who-knows-how-long is pretty poor due to low metal prices. In general there should be demand for mining engineer grads - many of the mining engineers out there are close to retiring and will have to be replaced - but that doesn't matter if mining companies can't afford to hire on new EITs.

Basically, the crux of the issue is that I'll be in a really shitty situation if the mining industry doesn't pick up in the next few years. As much as I'd like to be a mining engineer, if it isn't going to work out I need to look at other careers.
>>
>>962089

What options do I have at this point? I've thought of a few, but I'd like opinions on them and other suggestions if you have them.

>Wait it out, trying to find semi-related work in similar fields until mining comes back

>Go back to university for 2.5-3 years to get a degree in a different field of engineering
>This could be mechanical or chemical, both of which are related to mining
>If the industry bounces back I would have a mining degree and a relevant mechanical/chemical degree
>If the industry stays dead I could simply find non-mining work related to my new degree

>Go for a degree in a non-related industry
>Computer Engineering
>I enjoy programming
>I have connections to that industry
>Computer Science and Engineering are booming; employment more likely in this field

>Go for my masters in a related field
>Go for an MBA

What would you do in my situation?
>>
>>962090
If you enjoy programming then pursue that. You can teach yourself how to code any language by buying books at Barnes and Noble or learning online. There are tons of resources to help you and you can learn in your spare time. Why spend tons of money on an education you can get for free?
>>
>>962094
Job prospects, honestly. You'd end up with a much lower salary if you don't have an actual computer engineering degree, right?
>>
>>962096
Not at all. When it comes to actual coding (web development, app development, web design, SQL or cloud based data storage) you really just need to know your shit and have a portfolio or be able to pass tests like fizzbuzz to prove you know what you are doing. It is one of the rare career choices where a degree will always come secondary to actual knowledge and experience.
>>
>>962102
Huh, I heard that that aspect of the industry had started to change. Would they really ask something as simple as fizzbuzz in an interview? Any recommendations for how to build up a (marketable) portfolio?
>>
>>962106
Fizzbuzz has always been trivial but some interviewers will ask you to code (some type of practical use case) on a whiteboard during an interview or have you take a timed online test. It really isn't too common but don't be surprised if you see it. The easiest way to build a portfolio is to work a couple projects for free or drastically discounted. As a web developer the first site that I built was for a barber shop down the street from my house.
>>
>>961345
I'm a door to door salesman and it has changed my life. Take the job and don't give up. Creating business is the most important skill in the modern world and its learnable.
>>
>>962116
Computer science in of itself is a fairly broad field. I originally was going to get into networking or security but those are typically a little more boring and don't offer as many avenues for growth. I learned web and app development just because the unemployment rate is less than 1% for those in my area. There's just always a huge demand for good coders. If you are considering web development, the first languages I would learn would be HTML, CSS and later maybe PHP or Javascript/Jquery. Just HTML and CSS alone can make you employable and are pretty basic languages to learn. As long as you know the back end and the code, it will differentiate you from graphic designers or web designers (both which are saturated fields). All they do is use a program like Dreamweaver or basic templates.
>>
>>962090
join one of the military branches that need engineers. at least you'll get paid for 4 years. and you'll get a gi bill for a better degree
>>
>>963082
I'm Canadian - not sure if we have a program like that, but I'll check.
>>
Go do a technical degree.
>>963287
>>
>>962111

Anon, how does it feel to go from door to door? Acquiring new customers seems to be the hardest thing, next to meeting the sales forecast.
Thanks for the advice! Several people told me to do it. Currently I am waiting to see how many customers there are and what my actual territory is.
>>
>>961345
If you're really happy with your current job, keep at it.
If youre happy with your job, but money is an issue , try applying at a competitor. this is one of the best ways to get a pay increase
IF youre on the fence about either, you just want to take a chance, go for the sales job. Just make sure you study selling and basic human psychology. it' ll help you tons
>>
>Be 33. Career has looked like this:
>Dual Major Information Studies & Management.
>Had 2 year summer internship with AIG.
>Graduate and work 9 months for them.
>Get laid off.
>Have another job for about a year as a DB admin, managing pharma sales rep >software.
>Hate job leave.
>Work 3-4 contracts next few years, Pharma, Consumer & Retail. Projects/Contracts >end.
>Land great job as head IT manager for Solar company. With them for 4 years. Solar >industry tanks in 2011/2012 due to Obama's Solyndra. Massive company layoffs.
>New job as IT PM. Big projects with 3 big pharma. Company layoffs again due to >mergers of companies and cut budgets.
>IT Project Manager for big global paint Co. There for 9 months, supposed to >convert, all PMs (22!) laid off due to company restructuring.
>Last job small IT Consulting firm in NYC. Manage big project for big retail chain. Conversion doesn't >happen, they go internally.

>Average salary was 100k-140k at peak.

>Out of work currently. Really want full time work as I'm getting married in 2016. Had some good >interviews, big clients but no offers yet. Really want to be in Management/Strategy IT-wise for >companies. Is an MBA worth it?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.