[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to get an investment edge?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 5904_28a1_420.jpg (96KB, 420x560px) Image search: [Google]
5904_28a1_420.jpg
96KB, 420x560px
Silly question: Do Big 4 accountants or rather auditors not have a short term edge they could use to their advantage as they prepare financial statements?

Could you not use the information you see on various companies to take various derivative positions before it becomes public?

Example could you not take out futures contracts on a stock you see possibly outperforming previous year earnings and analyst projections?

Or short a company that isn't going to perform well based on the information you and your collegues are working with?

Pic related = cool watch
>>
>>924524
Yeah, big 4 firms totally allow you to invest in the companies they audit. Absolutely no rules about that. Nope. None at all.
>>
>>924536

Ethics are for faggots man. How would they even find out?
>>
>>924524
>trades on material non public information
>doesn't expect the sec to come knocking

Sounds fool proof tbh
>>
>>924541
You are an absolute moron.
>>
>>924569

I dont understand how they'd find out?

Put the brokerage account in a friends name, tell him to do A, B, C trade based on whatever info you can get from reports you are working on.

in X number of months there will be a results announcement, you take out your contracts before earnings reports.

Mining company X rebounds after making a loss last year, you already have your long positions in place to take advantage of the price movements?

Again how would authorities or your superiors find out about your broker account?
>>
>>924581
>in X number of months there will be a results announcement, you take out your contracts before earnings reports.
>Mining company X rebounds after making a loss last year, you already have your long positions in place to take advantage of the price movements?
>Again how would authorities or your superiors find out about your broker account?

the problem there is how do you make any money... earnings reports vary in how much they'll move the stock - what if it drops over the next few months, then you gain a bit of your losses back from the insider info

if you want to exploit it then you need out of the money options purchased soon before the figures are released - and that is an instant red flag to the authorities, especially if you're not usually trading like that

the way to hide it is probably to use it in addition to actively trading, to give yourself an extra edge rather than making any directly obvious gains from a single event - say for example portfolio managers at SAC - they're still actively trading but they'll also take certain positions or perhaps bias certain positions on the basis of insider information in order to increase their returns... and even they got caught, or at least some of them did
>>
>>924569
>>924581
only way the sec finds out is when you make too much in a short amount of time. if you keep your returns in a believable range they wont know unless someone else rats you out. Insider trading happens all the time
>>
>>924581
if you don't understand how easily the feds could get you on a low-level scheme like this, you deserve jail time.

go ahead, criminal mastermind. clearly the SEC will never notice this.
>>
>>924541
lmao, fucking idiot

enjoy getting butt-fucked by the SEC, no lube since your employers will also think youre a piece of shit
>>
>>924747
People do this, and just recently I've seen someone get caught, he got jail because they want to discourage people from doing it.
>>
>>924749
the other problem is that no one will step up to help the guy that gets caught doing this sort of low level scheme

your multi-billionaire employers will cut you loose and leave you to the wind, and no high powered attorney will step up and help a greedy little financial black lamb pro bono

its literally asking to be sodomized royally, just for a chance of making a small profit
>>
>>924541
Lol get a load of this shit.
>>
>>924754

Wouldnt even be a small profit. You put up some real money on trades like this and you could be done with salaryslaving in no time.

Earnings reports usually move a stock a few percent up or down based on factors. I mean you could see some trainwrecks coming long before anyone else.

Its perfect.
>>
If I have a product that I think a company will want, is it insider trading if I bought shares in the company I plan to give it to,say 6 months before I present them the offer?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.