[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Career change

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1499582908741.jpg (562KB, 1280x1666px) Image search: [Google]
1499582908741.jpg
562KB, 1280x1666px
Hey fellas - I live in Australia and currently practice as a commercial solicitor and hate it. I've been doing it for 4 years but the industry is literally controlled by salty divorced boomers who work from 6.30am (start sending emails 10minutes after their alarm goes off from their phone) until midnight). It's complete cancer. I want to start learning how to code and freelance after some industry experience. I have an interest in both fintech and data systems, but was wondering if any of you programmer anons could point me in the right direction (where to learn coding, the state of the industry in Australia (Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane?) and what language to learn, i was thinking Python).

Lemme know boyos
>>
:( bump
>>
Hey Bro, dropped out of law last year and went into CompSci, feels good man. I'm an Ausfag myself, learn python, good luck man.
>>
>>3511247
Learn Python my man.

You at KWM, Allens, Herbert or something?
>>
>>3511247
programming in cuckbourne? fuk that you're in a wrong country cunt at least move to merica
>>
>>3511356

Not one of those 3, but I am at one of the top 10 in the Sydney CBD.
>>
Yeah Australia isn't known for it's tech sector, still working for salty divorced boomers, except they will be looking to outsource your work to some Pajeets in Manila.
>>
>>3511372
Ah yep.

I know some solicitors in Sydney who are trying their hand at blockchain. I know a firm where half the grads jumped on crypto trading cos one dude shilled it.
>>
>>3511338
Link i'll have any luck without doing a post grad into CompSci?

>>3511382
Yeah it's pretty pathetic desu, a boutique firm i worked for in 2014 sent out website dev out to a pajeet firm in Manila instead of just paying 10k to the based guys in Syd...
>>
>>3511389
LOL, errr that's awkward, that "one dude" who shilled it could have been me. Half of litigation and corporate advisory bought in when i shilled it to them on a Friday night.
>>
take all your money and all-in on BAT
>>
>>3511247

how you gonna give up that house on the inner north shore for that code monkey salary though senpai?

also in syd commercial law here, everyone is trapped by their wife and kid's school fees
>>
>>3511459

haha, i bought off the plan in the eastern suburbs in 2014, around centennial park. i'm married but no kids, no thanks m8
>>
Employed freelance dev here. I live if Silicon Valley so YMMV.

I never went to college, I just sat here and studied. I like coding, and I think it came pretty easily if you dont mind the litterally 100's of hours I poured into it, especially my first 6 months before finding work.

Here is what I did. I took a look at the languages that offer the most employment, and the languages that arent used in highly technical (science, maths, big data) fields, but can be applied to just about anything.

Python is really, really cool. So are a ton of other languages. But, you are limiting your job prospects in a YUGE way.

I recommend gaining a MASTERY of javascript, and focus on the basics. DATA STUCTURES ARE WHAT GET YOU A JOB. I cannot stress that enough. I was just at an interview for a new contract a week ago. Project is Angular / java backend, and every question they asked me was about JS trivia and data structures. Stacks, Queues, Sorting, Time Complexity, Hashtables etc.

An excellent and undervalued resource is freecodecamp.com

You will soon see that if you learn data structures and common patterns in JS well, then picking up a new language (and being EFFECTIVE with it) is a simple task, you just need to learn the nuances of the new language and apply well learned patterns.

JS can run literally anywhere. With npm you have an incredible amount of resources to use and learn from.

Along with JS will come HTML and CSS. These are both pretty easy and not really 'Programming Languages' but certainly a necessary part of it all.

In 6 months I was able to land 60 ph freelance contracts and jobs at startups. You have to want it, and know how and where to market yourself.

Hope this helps.

tldr; freecodecamp - just do it, its stupid at first, then you will start doing algos and data structures and pulling your hair out, as you should be - patience is key.
>>
>>3511581

Awesome info man, thank you so much - really appreciate it.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.