[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The current state of money and music

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: make-money-with-music.jpg (44KB, 399x301px) Image search: [Google]
make-money-with-music.jpg
44KB, 399x301px
What exactly is the current state of the business side of music?

I am a classical guitarist, I perform for weddings/events, play concerts, and lately I have been composing.

But where is the money in music exactly? I am having a more difficult time justifying the amount of time I put into music. What is the end-game these days?

Music's cultural AND economic value continues to decline. As the economy changes and people spend more time working/going to school, they have less time to spend on music.

Bands and artists come in and out of the spotlight on a nearly 6-month basis. People are so busy they just turn on something catchy in the background. Music is simply not a big part of people's lives anymore, and they are not spending as much money on it as they were in the past.

Thoughts?
>>
I have a friend who plays in an orchestra and makes a shitload of money. I have a friend who is in a really popular band and makes nothing.
>>
If you belong to a privileged musical circle you are pretty much safe even if you suck as a musician, otherwise you don't exist, unless your talent is extraordinaire.
>>
Wake up Alex, goyim don't make it in (((records))). Change your name to Silverberg, start going to synagogue and become a jew. Look for the formula, forget about making good music and network like crazy especially when youre at the synagogue. Make a demo using the formula, pay the radio jew to play it.

Rebellion was the formula when the jews were still taking over, submission is the formula now. "complacent"
>>
>>3483566
>I have a friend who is in a really popular band and makes nothing.
imagine dragons r gay newfag
>>
perhaps focus more on making soundtracks for video games, movies, other shit. Too many people focus on making albums and stuff like that, you can do that on the side, but making works that serve no purpose isn't profitable
>>
The money is literally in licensing

No music is original, samples of songs or measures of songs are either patent trolled for profit, or are licensed to other producers for astronomic fees.
>>
>>3483551
Step 1) Fly to CA
Step 2) Suck as much jewish dick as you can possibly fit into your mouth
Step 3) Hope they pick you over random kinda hot girl with an okay voice #89950
>>
>>3483551
making music your career is the equivalent of winning the lotto. There are too many good musicians out there for people to give a shit about any of them. Pop music sells on the strength of the idol. The only thing that separates your EDM from some other kid's EDM is the thumbnail of the big-titted woman your put on your video. Nowadays, software has made writing music piss easy and producing even easier.

you want to know where the money is? here it is

1. Becoming a teacher and continue to fool people into thinking music education as any value beyond intrinsic value

2. Write songs for people who are more attractive then you and then ride off their success

That's literally it. Anything else and you will be scraping by to live.
>>
>>3483551
The inventions of Recording, Television and Radio made music into a huge business were people were getting filthy rich.
Internet basically gave back music to the people. Its a good thing imo; the only people who are pissed are faggots who wanna play music to look cool

>>3483566
This sums it up. If you wanna make money playing music and dont wanna leave it to chance, become a professional and get gigs like this
>>
>>3483659
I was actually invited to perform for guitar salon international in LA, but I haven't had the time/money to make it out there.

>>3483649
Most of that stuff is with full orchestras or electronic music right?

>>3483658
Interesting, yeah I would probably do web development work before I did licensing
>>
>>3483682
you can do more than just play guitar right???

if you only play guitar you are fucked from the start, do something else for money
>>
>>3483728
I can compose for any instrument, but I only perform classical guitar.
>>
>>3483673
I get where you're coming from with that but its kinda a narrow normie view on the music industry.

Most people think you cant be successful in the arts which is bullshit. Its harder in the sense that you could probably be a shitty/average accountant and get paid well but you (for the most part) cant be a shitty/average musician and get paid well....Obviously that exists but in that sense its the equivalent of winning the lotto.

You can do well as a professional musician if you build a network, diversify, and have the skills. You have to understand the difference between wanting to be a pro musician and wanting to be famous.

You're almost for sure gonna be working on projects you dont really give a fuck about. Being a pro musician is best left to those who actually enjoy pretty much every style of music. Not really good for those who have their own creative vision and strong convictions when it comes to what they'll play.

If you're trying to play your own music, dont be a cunt and expect people to pay you. Thats your personal art and if you're doing it for money you deserve to be poor.
>>
>>3483772
OP here again

This has been my experience so far. I perform at really lame events, play a lot of classical music that I hate for weird church services and weddings and shit, and then end up teaching my students gay pop shit.

Of course I do all of that so I can afford to play my own music for my own concerts sometimes as well, but most of the actual profit I make is from shit I am not even slightly interested in nor do I find interesting.

>you can't make money in the arts meme

Yeah I was surprised how much money you can actually make in music, even though most of the money comes from pretty lame stuff.

Students will pay up to $30-$40 per hour where I am. That's pretty good if you manage to get a few solid days booked per week.
>>
>>3483810
it kinda looks like you know what it takes then.

Can you read music, charts, play by ear well, play different styles, etc?

The more you can do, the easier it is to find steady work. Learn more instruments. Learn to produce, do live sound and all that shit too. Play in corporate bands, wedding bands, churches, cover bands, etc; build a network. Move to a bigger metro area and you'll be fine.

Alternatively you could do something thats not related to music for money....Get into crypto, ecommerce, or other entrepeneural shit that will give you financial freedom while not requiring a soul sucking 9-5.

If what you really care about are your personal creative projects, it might be easier to spend some time building your own thing that will give you passive income. You'll have more free time to pursue your passions in the end, instead of wasting time with sporadic $50 gigs to scrape by
>>
This is the first time I have ever posted on any forum in my life but I couldn't pass the opportunity to tell op about the most lucrative music gig. Childrens musical daycare. I worked for a company in silicon valley and play G C D chords on guitar and got paid 45/hr to sing to babies and their moms dancing around like an idiot. They ate the whole bullshit up and they paid so much money for this. Itsy bitsy spider and shit like that. make sure you have a female lead.
>>
>>3483958
That's pretty cute desu.

Thanks for the advice
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.