[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gathering an audience for a website

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: example1.gif (22KB, 341x281px) Image search: [Google]
example1.gif
22KB, 341x281px
How would you approach gathering an audience for a shit-news website?

For quite some time my friend had been trying to work on one, invested tons of time and money but it just isn't working, nobody is visiting it. Now he offered me to take over the project for free and honestly I'm considering it, but I don't want to make the same mistakes he made and the long run I would love to turn it into a somewhat profitable venue.

How should I reach out to people to get them to read this shit? Everything else is in place and running, but website lacks the audience.
>>
>>3408871
What does it look like?
>>
>>3408871
Twitter.
Post links to your news articles marked with relevant hashtags.
>>
What news are you focused on
>>
File: 1496458536485.gif (608KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1496458536485.gif
608KB, 800x450px
>>3408939
can you not see the screenshot?
>>
Google "SEO".
>>
>>3408986
lol
>>
>>3408939
Like Buzzfeed, more or less

>>3408961
>Post links to your news articles marked with relevant hashtags.
This might actually be a good idea!

>>3409013
>Google "SEO".
Already talked with another friend who works in SEO; truth is, they don't do a lot if the website is already optimized to hell (and this one is), they just add websites to catalogues with some mark-up on it.
>>
>>3408871
Everyone else seems to be doing it with Facebook but if you were too stupid to know that then I wouldn't bother. Content and marketing is how a content farm becomes successful. You clearly don't have a passion for the latter so if producing content is something you want to do I'd put myself in line for being passionate about the former. 'Shit-news' doesn't seem very exciting, and it's very crowded.
>>
>>3409142
>Everyone else seems to be doing it with Facebook but if you were too stupid to know that then I wouldn't bother.
Problem with Facebook is that you need to have everything signed under your own name if you're going for marketing stuff on Groups. Fan pages are useless unless you already have an audience.
>>
>>3409134
Then why aren't you Googling variations of "How does buzzfeed get traffic"
https://marketingland.com/facebook-video-snapchat-drive-nearly-half-of-buzzfeeds-views-143138

>27 percent: Facebook native video
>23 percent: Direct to the site or apps
>21 percent: Snapchat content views
>14 percent: YouTube views
>6 percent: Facebook traffic to the site
>4 percent: Images on Facebook
>3 percent: Other distributed platforms
>2 percent: Google search to the site

>>3409169
You have no idea what you're talking about do you?

http://nichehacks.com/niche-marketing-lessons-viral-nova/

>The idea behind the site was simple - Identify and copy potentially viral content from all over the web, write a compelling headline, publish it on the blog, push it forward with Facebook advertisements and hope that it goes viral.

>This simple business model worked so well that Viral Nova reached almost 100 million monthly visitors within months, with over 2 million Facebook fans, and easily makes six figures every month from advertisements and sponsors (in December 2013 alone, DeLong made more than $400,000).

>In its first year, Viral Nova attracted almost 90% of its traffic from Facebook. It still stands at over 50% right now.

BuzzFeed and its clones pay to promote their posts on places like Facebook and in general subsist on social media marketing, creating shareable click-bait.
If you didn't know how to find this out on your own then you should just give up now.
>>
>>3409350
Thank you!

So it seems that most of engagement comes from videos, interesting.

The part with just promoting posts is also interesting, I'll definitely look into that.

I don't see anything wrong with learning, you need to start somewhere, right? I think I'll take the risk, it just feels more appropriate than just letting the whole website die off.
>>
>>3408871
>news

Pick a side: left or right. Tell them exactly what they want to hear.

Done.
>>
>>3409383
I was about to say that I'm sorry for being so pessimistic but I'm glad you didn't take it that way.

BuzzFeed gets it traffic from videos because that's a big part of what they produce. I'd focus more on cloning ViralNova, which sold for $100 million by cloning BuzzFeed. 3 employees.

From what I understand paying to promote your posts lights a match but engagement is what fans the flame
https://www.themoderntog.com/facebook-promote-button-newsfeed-truth/

Still, I think all the effort it would take is better spent on quality content. Companies like Rubin Report and Kinda Funny games are making about $30k a month from Patreon alone. People want good journalism and are willing to pay.

>>3409399
Or
>pick both under two different sites and see what gets more traction
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.