[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Timber land as investment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: lumber.jpg (450KB, 2070x2244px) Image search: [Google]
lumber.jpg
450KB, 2070x2244px
I'm going to use the recent downtrend in btc as an opportunity to talk about something other than crypto: Timberland investment

Buying land and selectively harvest mature logs seems like a nice investment. It's truly passive income if you simply let the trees grow and hire a professional logger to cut the trees. In my state there are some tax breaks if you follow a D.E.C. harvesting schedule. I have some clients that own timberland through family trusts, and they simply follow a sustainable harvest schedule and rake in the passive income.

Seems pretty easy if you have the upfront capital. Anyone have an opinion or experience in this field? I appreciate any advice and input.
>>
>Not dumping the farm into cryptos
>>>/pol/
Fuck off woodnazi
>>
Great video on jewtube about a guy that plants ten acres of high-density black walnut trees.
>>
>>3337682

Are you trying to invest? Or go local.

Best bet, and this sounds weird, but look up old Tree nurseries that have gone upwards - talking early 1900s.

My friend bought a 1850s nursery that was long since tucked away and forgotten. Got it for 5k at foreclosure, 150 SQ acres of 200 year old steel wood.

Another friend got 30 SQ acres of Aged cherry wood for 10k, pops off 30ft cords for 50k a piece. (1 tree = 3 cords).
>>
Is this viable in Sweden? I would love to own my own plot of forest, just to be able to go there.
>>
>>3337777
>10k for enough acres to live in
Wut

Explain
>>
Its worth thinking about OP... Diversify your means of income, invest in hedge funds, crypto, gold, property... money is like manure, it starts stinking when its all at one place... so these retards looking to get rich quick by investing every thing they have in bitcoins are laughable

Any man with good buisness knowledge knows its better to take a large number of small risks than a small number of large risks... Investing your entire life savings is beyond retarded, and can only be expected from some 20 something college freshman
>>
>>3337682
>It's truly passive income if you simply let the trees grow and hire a professional logger to cut the trees.
In order to get anything more than pocket money from this, yoou would need a lot of land.
Also, who picks the trees?
In my area, most forrest is state/county owned and they have a ranger mark up the trees ready for harvest before the loggers move in.
Also, he's responsible for making sure that the trees of value have good growing conditions (remove less worthy trees blocking their sun, pest control) or for actually planting desired species.
If you just wanna sell random crap for the pulp industry, you can probably just hire some mexican/romanian (depending on which continent you are on), make sure you are not breaking any HESS regulations and have him cut down some random shit, but you ain't going to make money that way.
I'm not saying it can't be done, but I'm sure it's much more complicated than just buyin land and making "passive" income.
>>
>>3338138

Woods don't cost a lot around here.. Lot of run down old steel plants and coal refineries. Beautiful around here.
>>
>>3337777
>>3338576
Wheres this m8. Woukdnt mind getting a comfy cabin with a fireplace
>>
>>3337682
>if you have the upfront capital.

how much do you need to buy decent acreage
>>
>>3337682
Only worth it if you log and sell or if you have insane amounts of land
>>
>>3337692
lol I have btc with a cost basis ~$550/ coin. What I don't have is timberland.
>>
http://www.landleader.com/land-for-sale/timber-land

how do you identify ares with trees for logging
>>
>>3337777
Nice get. I've looked into ticker: WOOD and its individual components. I'd rather buy within ~60 miles of my city, where there are some nice old growth hardwood forests.

Have your friends said how their deals worked out for them? Seems like a nice deal.
>>
>>3338306
Yea I was looking up timber correlation with the stock market. Seems to have a low correlation, which might be nice with the US stock market being so hot for so long.
>>
>>3338560
I agree about the 'passive' part. I guess it really isn't 100% passive the way I described things. I guess I mean 'passive' in the sense of being a landlord who has a property management team. In this case, your logger/ consultants are like the managers, and the owner's margin is what's left after paying them.
>>
>>3338984
I see, but calling what you are describing passive is quite the stretch.
Seems like you want to invest in some wood companies stock or something.
>I guess I mean 'passive' in the sense of being a landlord who has a property management team. In this case, your logger/ consultants are like the managers, and the owner's margin is what's left after paying them.
I'm not involved in commercial logging, but given what wood costs and that you don't see many folks getting rich from wood and how much work, training and expensive equipment logging needs, this seems like you would not make a lot of money, unless you lands are really vast and you don't do much selection/land managment (think large scale (empty bumfuck nowhere in canada large) clear cuts).
>>
I've seen wooded acreage in Indiana as low as $1,500 an acre. A friend of mine's parents bought 25 acres south of Indianapolis and selectively logged. They didn't make money on doing it afaik, but they did bring down the cost per acre, making it more affordable to them.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.