[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 1499801536847.jpg (63KB, 450x562px) Image search: [Google]
1499801536847.jpg
63KB, 450x562px
What's the difference between a "coin" and a "token"?

Two anon were arguing about it in some thread and both sounded autistic as fuck. So, what's the answer to this age old riddle?
>>
coin - btc
token - eth
>>
coin has its own blockchain
token piggybacks on a blockchain of another coin, usually ETH
>>
>>3328776
This is exactly what one anon said and then the other called him retarded. Can I get a more technical answer?
>>
>>3328776
You got it wrong. Bitcoin and Ethereum are both cryptocurrencies.

Tokens are implemented on top of a cryptocurrency, usually as Ethereum smart contracts. Tokens don't need their own mining system; they rely on their host cryptocurrency (usually Ethereum) to be mined and verify their transaction history. Using a token generally requires you pay the host currency for transaction fees.

Sometimes people use "coin" to refer to cryptocurrencies specifically, but it's kind of confusing because a number of tokens have "coin" in the name.

>>3328778
+1
>>
>>3328841
(And then people might refer to tokens as cryptocurrencies too, because they can be traded similar to them. The terms are all used in annoyingly-overlapping ways, but there really is a fundamental technical difference between something like Bitcoin/Litecoin/Ethereum/Monero/Zcash and something like Augur/Golem/0x.)
>>
Coin - its own blockchain
Token - uses another coin's blockchain through smart contracts
>>
Regarding terminology: coinmarketcap.com calls them "currencies" and "assets". Notice that all of the assets have a Platform column which always references a currency, generally Ethereum.
>>
>>3328765
coins: small flat round things, we professional investors trade.

token: black kid playing the bass, he is good at it.
>>
Thank you for the responses for brainlets like me.
>>
>>3328796
It's more a reference to different generational coins.
Bitcoin and Litecoin are both independent coins. With Ethereum you can create "tokens" that are dependent on the protocol.
>>
>>3329192
Yeah but Ethereum itself isn't a token.
You can also create tokens on top of Bitcoin and Litecoin ("Colored Coins"), but it's painful and there really isn't much to do with them there without the smart contract abilities of something like Ethereum, so no one really bothers.
>>
>>3329307
I thought "ether" (the thing we all trade) was a token itself?
>>
>>3329654
Ether is the main unit of Ethereum. It's what you get from mining and what you pay transaction fees in. If no one wrote any smart contracts, it would only be superficially different from Bitcoin. Tokens are just numbers set by smart contracts associated with accounts; they're not special to the Ethereum system like ether itself.
>>
>>3328891
this you fucking normies

coin = has blockchain
token = exists as an asset on another platform (not necessarily smart contracts)
>>
File: zencash.png (939KB, 1898x929px) Image search: [Google]
zencash.png
939KB, 1898x929px
>>3329703
this is only true for tokens on ETH
>>
File: discordcertify.png (30KB, 760x488px) Image search: [Google]
discordcertify.png
30KB, 760x488px
>>3328765
some people are arguing about it in the 1500+ /biz/ server too, I really want to find out the answer man lol

discord.gg/VpPrGmF
>>
>>3329703
Ah, thank you for clearing that up.
>>
ITT: halfcoiner retards
They're two names for the same thing, except ERC20 assets are commonly referred to as tokens because they aren't mined (and very many other equally insignificant aspects). Coin is derived from the word bitcoin
>>3328778
Close, but wrong still
>>3328841
Neither are "crypto currencies"
Ethereum is a blockchain application platform with a store of value, bitcoin is a proof of concept (aka EXPERIMENT) for blockchain tech and it's ability to be used as a digital asset platform. Dash and Monero are cryptocurrencies
>>3328920
These words are for the purpose of simplifying things

Truth be told, who fucking cares, they're all digital assets and sitting here splitting hairs is why you're all holding bags
Sage
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.