[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wallet security

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: tinfoil-hat-guy1[1].jpg (117KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
tinfoil-hat-guy1[1].jpg
117KB, 800x450px
What is the unironic non-memeing objectively best way desu to store your investments?

Cold wallets all the way? I'm assuming so; I have a bit of BTC in my blockchain.info wallet but am considering moving it to my electrum wallet.

Any advantages to doing this? Also, do you fracture your holdings among several wallets for a bit of redundancy and safety? Is it generally a bad idea to say, funnel all my HODLs from around the web into a single electrum wallet?

And finally, once you do have your cold storage all set up (assuming that's the objective best method), how do you handle storing the private keys, for the maximum beneficial trade-off of redundancy and security from prying eyes accidentally getting a hold of it? Should I encrypt the keys in a couple different storage media, and then write one down for a single paper wallet that I hide in a super secure place?
>>
>>3314372
Look at shamir's secret sharing protocol. Basically you can input your private keys and get out "pieces" that individually tell you nothing about the keys themselves. You can set up the protocol to say, assemble your keys if 3 of 10 pieces are brought together. That way it's both redundant but also resistant to pieces being compromised- you don't lose your keys if a few pieces are lost or destroyed but on the other hand just having one or two pieces stolen doesn't make you lose your funds.
>>
>>3314372
>do you fracture your holdings among several wallets for a bit of redundancy and safety? Is it generally a bad idea to say, funnel all my HODLs from around the web into a single electrum wallet

Yeah, do this. Multiple wallets, paper wallets, hardware wallet, a little on some exchanges, etc.
>>
>>3314372
Just get a TREZOR and never worry again.
>>
>>3314486

Serious question ... how do we know trezors aren't built with some pre-generated seed so that the creators can recreate private keys in 10 years and steal billions of dollars?
>>
>>3314486

you have to plug it into a pc to work, which somewhat defeats the purpose.
>>
another thing that bothers me is that the official wallets have big dependencies like boost, and are finicky about compiling on other platforms like bsd. it would be nice if they were slightly more portable, which would make self-contained hardware wallets a lot easier to develop.
>>
I literally have 100 eth on a single myetherwallet of which I keep the key on notepad and a piece of paper in my sock drawer.
>>
File: ainsley.jpg (112KB, 483x518px) Image search: [Google]
ainsley.jpg
112KB, 483x518px
>>3314692
Good idea goy
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.