[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the difference between Put Options and Call options?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: The Terminator 1.jpg (383KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
The Terminator 1.jpg
383KB, 1280x1024px
What is the difference between Put Options and Call options?

>I am most likely retarded, so be gentle when explaining.
>>
>>3275269
A put option is the right to sell an asset for a certain price at some point in the future.
A call option is the right to buy an asset for a certain price at some point in the future.

Example: I have a put $50 option on Skynet stock that expires tomorrow. Currently, the stock price is $51, so the option worthless. If the price were to drop to $49 however, I could buy one share for $49 on the open market and then immediately exercise the option to sell it for $50. I would pocket the dollar.

A call option is just the opposite. Suppose the stock price is still $51, but this time I have a call $50 option. Then exercising the option would net me a dollar (buy for $50 through the option and immediately sell for $51 on the open market). If the stock price increased to $55, it would net me 5 dollars. If the stock price dropped below $50, it would be worthless.

There are some differences between different types of options (European, American etc) but this is the idea behind all of them.
>>
>>3275269
The right (but not an obligation) to buy or sell, respectively.

Call = make money if it goes up. If it goes down, your option is worthless (e.g. you negotiated to buy at 50 but the price on the open market is 45).
Put = make money if it goes down. If it goes up, your option is worthless (e.g. you negotiated to sell at 50 but you can sell on the open market for 55).
>>
>>3276168
>>3275941
Awesome, thank you for the explanation.

I've only recently started looking at investing, I'm not expecting to become the wolf of wall street. However, I would like to get to a point where I understand how the market works and eventually make a profit.

I have another question if you guys dont mind answering.

>What are derivatives in laymen terms?
Also,
>Are securities just another word for stocks?
>>
>>3276755
>derivative
Anything that derives its value from some other asset.e.g. the stock attached to your call option. The call option is a derivative, the stock is the underlying asset. The call option itself might cost $5, but the stock is worth $90 (the price of the option would be calculated based on what the stock is expected to be worth in 6 months).
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.