[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is being a music teacher low-brow?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

I just got a job teaching classical guitar at a little music school in the suburbs.

Is this a low brow thing to be doing? I am not sure if I should put it on my LinkedIn page and resume.

I feel slightly embarrassed about doing it for some reason. Like I should be working at a corporation, but I get paid $30 an hour doing it. It seems like people have absolutely no respect for music teachers.

Opinions?
>>
>>3109151
Who cares? It shows you can dedicate time to learning something and that you can work with others. Being a music teacher isn't super low brow anyway.
>>
Why would it be low brow? You're actually teaching people to do something cool. I wouldn't say you're breaking boundaries but it's nothing to be ashamed of.
>>
>>3109151
true art is the pinnacle of humanity . art is never a waste of time. never let ignorant Philistines ever tell you differently .
>>
>>3109151
i don't think any normal person would consider teaching classical guitar low bro. seems like a cool job to me, and it obviously requires a skill set few people have
>>
Do you like it? If so....fuck it
>>
>>3109151
Absolutely not "low brow", and teaching is one of the most humbling professions. You have a skill that likely took you countless hours to develop and you may be passionate about music, and you're sharing that with others. You're potentially inspiring generations of future musicians and making a living for yourself, what's there to be ashamed about?

If you're feeling unfulfilled, there's nothing wrong with branching out into other things. You can probably even advertise and take one-on-one clients for extra money. Kids with well off parents would be more than willing to pay $30-50+ dollars for 45-60 minute sessions, and you can get more business by word of mouth if you're good as well.
>>
File: 1500440519024.jpg (685KB, 2050x1519px) Image search: [Google]
1500440519024.jpg
685KB, 2050x1519px
>>3109164
>>3109177
>>3109188
>>3109189

Ah okay.

Both of my parents think it is a kind of embarrassing and pointless thing to be doing. I am the best classical guitarist my age where I live and I have an original classical composition premiering in my city, but both of them just kind of think music/art is for losers and special snowflakes.

They both think I should be working in tech, specifically getting involved in the block-chain field. I agree with them, because I think there is a lot of money in that in the future, but I'm just not skilled enough to do that right now so I'm teaching classical guitar.

>>3109197
Yeah I like doing it. Many of my clients are rich or their parents are rich too... Most are Indians lulz
>>
>>3109222
Oh yeah I am currently teaching private one-on-one lessons.

I have been thinking about advertising to get students to come to my house instead of the music school, because the music school takes like 30% profit of every student...which is fair.
>>
>>3109226
Why not do both?
Fuck what your parents think.
>>
>>3109151

If you care you are a cuck. Low brow? Are you happy? do you enjoy it? Who the fuck cares what other people think? jesus fucking christ
>>
If you can support yourself then it's okay. Don't be one of those people who pursue their dreams at the expense of other people.
>>
>>3109151
you think /biz/ or even the kikes on wall st actually GAF about the next shitcoin or forex or whatever the fuck? people are just reading news and playing markets and learning math and bullshit ppt slides just to make bank by the end of the day. i know a guy who does hft - you think he cares about fucking corn futures? i'm telling you 99.9999% of finance fags are dead inside. consider yourself lucky you haven't submitted to your greed and sold your soul to the money jew.
>>
>>3109151
Your doing something with your life that's not embarassing
>>
>>3110528
Yeah I know a guy who was working down at the Chicago exchange or whatever and he told me the same thing. He ended up quitting because he said it was miserable

I thought that "soulless corporate/finance job" thing was just a meme though. Driving a lambo like a yuppe ass-hole kinda looks fun
>>
>>3109151

Beats the fuck out of running a call center for ~25/hr. I'd count myself blessed if I had job security and could teach guitar all day.You have my respect op
>>
>>3109151
Classical guitar at a school isnt low brow man; Thats pretty fucking respectable.

Some long haired metal dude teaching private lessons to teenagers is low brow, but even then music is fucking awesome and teaching is humbling as fuck.

>>3110528
>>3110528
>i'm telling you 99.9999% of finance fags are dead inside
1 week into dealing with crypto has been so fucking soul sucking. Ive barely played music, done anything fun and thought about anything but them gains.
If i do good with this in the next month tho it can bring a lot of good things. The greed you feel is crazy, knowing you can make so much money.

After trying to get in on a few moon sessions, im just gonna long term HODL and check out somewhat.

>>3110567
>Yeah I know a guy who was working down at the Chicago exchange
thats a sweet place.

>I thought that "soulless corporate/finance job" thing was just a meme though
Thinking money is evil or that you dont need it is a meme. Letting money get in the way of your true passions aspirations isnt. You just need enough money to do the things you want, and figure out how much that is.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.