[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>airgapped raspberry pi with tails installed as cold storage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: 1457556199787.jpg (98KB, 430x350px) Image search: [Google]
1457556199787.jpg
98KB, 430x350px
>airgapped raspberry pi with tails installed as cold storage
>still wake up in cold sweats thinking that someone might steal my pennies

how do i stop this feeling?
>>
eventually it stops. i used to check my trezor's balance every few days thinking the coins would be gone somehow. now im over it, lol.
>>
Lock it in a safe? Or distribute between more wallets so any single loss would be less.
>>
>>3088202
People make 1000's of new bitcoin addresses each and everyday. They are generated completely randomly, be design. There is absolutely nothing stopping some dumb normie from downloading a wallet and one of his generated addresses being yours, instantly giving him all your coins, irrevocably, forever.
>>
>>3088202
>>3088221
What's the difference between these "official" hardware wallets and a normal, 2 gig usb stick you buy at the store?
>>
File: 1442157170264.png (45KB, 1140x798px) Image search: [Google]
1442157170264.png
45KB, 1140x798px
>>3088236
>Lock it in a safe
it is
>>
>>3088268
>completely randomly
brainlet
>>
>>3088270
I tried going to the store, many stores, specifically looking for 2gb sticks for this purpose.

Fucking niggers will not sell anything lower than 16gb any more in any store. Only way to buy them is in bulk online. Fuck this.

Also, to quote somebody else:
You can use a Trezor on a virus infected computer, and none of your private keys will leak. If you plugged your USB in and performed a transaction on a virus ridden computer using your setup, it would be MUCH easier to steal your private keys.
The biggest advantage is that the signature calculation is being performed on a closed off separated device that restricts the types of commands that can be interpreted by the CPU on the device.

Trezor's setup is like carrying a 50 ton reinforced steel room with anti-tank rifle resistant doors around with you so that you can sign contracts in there without anyone snooping on you.
Your setup is like carrying your special signature gear in a super awesome briefcase and every time you need to use it, you have to take your stuff out of the briefcase... so you better hope you're not signing it in a bad part of town.
>>
>>3088270
Hardware wallets are capable of signing transactions internally. This means your private key never touches memory. Even if you plug your hardware wallet into a compromised device and send bitcoin your coins are safe. If you did this with a plain USB your private key would be leaked.

>>3088294
They are you moron. To do so any other way would be insecure.
>>
>>3088268
lol
if any newfags believe this, that is hillarious
>>
>>3088357
>implying a truly random algo exists brainlet
unless wallet adresses are based on nuclear decay it's not random
>>
>>3088378
Fuck off, you knew exactly what I meant and just dove into some obscure semantic bullshit to appear smart.

spoiler: You're not.
>>
>>3088378
>he thinks nuclear decay is random
its too easy sometimes, my bizraeli brothers
>>
>>3088268
There are 2^160 possible addresses.
That's 1 with 48 zeroes after it. You'd be more likely to win the lottery 1000 times in a row than to actually hit an address with money in it.
>>
>>3088268
t. shit wallet
>>
>>3088202
hardware wallet if you are this paranoid you nog
>>
>>3088438
>implying it's not you brainlet
you can determine the probability of decay with QM but decay is random
>>
>>3088517
wouldn't an airgapped raspberry pi with tails be better?
>>
>>3088540
lel well i tried
>>
>>3088517
I personally would be far more paranoid about using a hardware wallet than a simple air-gapped setup as OP describes.

Hardware wallets, in theory, sound secure. But they are devices SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR BITCOIN. That means the manufacturer/distribution know the device is going to be securing bitcoins, and probably a decent amount considering too. You're not buying a $100 hardware wallet to secure $5 in bitcoin.

Are you really going to trust the manufacturer not to have back doored this device? The government from mandating a back door? The distribution center from not swapping out the genuine product for something malicious? Some mail worker to not recognize the device and sabotage it?

An old air-gapped laptop presents none of these risks. Granted, the process of actually moving coins is more difficult but worth the hassle if you're talking about securing large funds.
>>
>>3088540
Prove QM is actually "random" as you define it and not just a complex pattern we've not recognized yet.
>>
is bitaddress.org and bip encrypted paper wallets still the way to go?
>>
so im all in with cryptos and stuff. Did some network marketing before but its pretty crappy sometimes. I liked it though since i could work online at home. Does anybody have some easy work to do from home for good money ? Any passive earning companies which are legit ?
>>
>>3088670
Why would you ask that in this thread idiot.
>>
>>3088667
Ayone?
>>
>>3088202
Killing yourself because if I was that fucking panicked about something practically impossible happening I would do the same
>>
>>3088667
paper wallets are still good imo
>>
>>3088724
For long-term storage, yes.

You can't beat paper wallets in terms of security and bitaddress is legit.

It's another picture entirely when you talk about actually sending those bitcoins, ya know, in 2030 when you need 300 satoshis to buy a new lambo.

Naive approach:

1. Download wallet
2. Import private key
3. Send to destination address

This is usually fine, except when it's not. If your computer is compromised a virus can intercept your private key as you import it and your coins will be lost.

Secure approach:

This method requires 2 computers. 1 is your normal machine which is connected to the internet and possibly compromised. 2 is loaded with a bitcoin wallet when configured but then never touches the internet again (air-gapped).

1. Generate unsigned tx on computer 1
2. Export unsigned tx to USB
3. Import private key on computer 2
4. Import unsigned tx on computer 2 from USB
5. Sign the transaction
6. Export the signed tx to a USB
7. Import the signed tx to computer 1 from USB
8. Broadcast it to the network

Hardware wallets make this procss easier by allowing the internal generation/signing of transactions. This allows them to be used even on a compromised device. In terms of long-term storage, however, they are equally as secure as a paper wallet - potentially less so because of reasons outlined here >>3088605
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.