[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for potential dev internship for blockchain. tips?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 1

i thought it would be cool to do some internship for blockchain stuff. granted, i just started my ms in cs, and did regular engineering for undergrad. top state uni in US. 1. What should I do?
2. Is it even worth it? Am I get jewed out?
3. Im gueesing London/NY/SF. correct?
4. Any tips to LARP as crypto expert in interview?
5. Do i need a lot of networking to even get a interview?
>>
I think if you just start fucking around with it, you're essentially as or more qualified that many developers.
>>
>>3053896
hey that used to be my desktop background

carry on.
>>
>>3053904
what should i do buildup my github library with? i dont feel like building autotrading bot and sharing it on github
>>
help
>>
>>3053896
what's a top state uni?
curious what school you went to and what you're starting in the fall
>>
>>3054088
one of ucb/ucla/uva/uofm/gt/vt/unc
ms in cs. my second semester now
>>
I was looking at some Solidity tutorials to make some projects of my own and hopefully get a dev job with some startup. Idk what to build tho
>>
>>3053941
Join the Monero dev irc. It's on the bottom of this page.
https://getmonero.org/community/team/
>>
>>3054120
>https://getmonero.org/community/team/
thx. will check
>>
>>3054114
similar boat. have you ever had dev exp?
>>
>>3054113
ooo i'm at berkeley lol (eecs grad student)
that's why i asked.
why not just go into fintech
>>
>>3054289
well my under is not cs/ee, so i thought i may need to be more "niche". just wondering how the industry views people like myself
>>
>>3054289
also i ve nothing to "prove" myself
>>
>>3054339
what does that mean? i think (or at least on west coast) everyone just cares about competence. no one really cares about credentials as long as you can perform.
>>
>>3054350
how do you know whether you can "perform?" - ive got nothing on resume. granted, i prolly could pull of majority of entry-level technical interviews, but - no previous internships, only couple personal pet projects, github has only one or two things, etc -
also, how do they tell "competence"? btw, im at gt if that helps.
>>
>>3054391
ahh i see. you may have to grind an entry level software job (ie fb, google, etc) and eat shit for a year or something. it's soul sucking work but at least it pays ok (~120k/yr). with a company like that it's bound to catch some recruiter attention. not saying it's impossible w/o that, but it's more difficult imo
>>
>>3054495
shit, im trying to get into those "entry level" jobs atm. i feel like the biggest problem would be getting the interview. ive done militray (not american, so no muh vet gibs) so im used to eating shit. would gladly take those soul sucking jobs tbqh
>>
>>3054543
hmm even getting an interview? might be an issue with your resume (not saying you're bad or whatever, might be something with it). if you can get it to me i can look at it if you'd like. i can also show you mine
>>
>>3054551
havent tried yet. just changed major. my things on resume: highest honor in me/ce/civile at gt undergrad, cs masters at gt. made some android app stuff, few school club things. south korean army. i feel like the worst thing for me is that im not a citizen. but even besides that, i don't think my resume is near nowhere. thinking about making some polo auto-trading bot thing, and larp at interview or something
>>
>>3054587
that sounds like pretty standard. you should try sending a few out for FT positions (assuming you're graduating soon) and see what happens. i'd think it strange if you don't get a few technical interviews
>>
>>3054601
FT? standard in terms of normies who get the job?
>>
>>3054587
Credentials in IT are overrated
Post your github, will take a look
>>
>>3054623
full time
>>
>>3054626
eh, prefer not posting it. besides, have almost nothing on it yet.
>>
>>3054626
i think degrees aren't necessarily overrated. they're good for filtering out. githubs aren't really indicative of much (ie mine's empty) but my work is in AI/ML and i still have google/amazon etc sending cold emails
>>
>>3054651
how did they know that you were doing ai/ml? im studying it now, and cant figure out how to "advertise" myself
>>
>>3054651
If you spend 5 years doing basic stuff 'not to get filtered out', that'd be a waste of time. You could get hands-on experience and populate your GH profile in the mean time.

I find GH to be very indicative:
- Do you run code quality tools (linter)
- How is your issue tracker maintained
- What about a test suite
- Continuous integration / deployment
- Overall good code quality, documentation

Things you can't measure with a simple degree.
>>
>>3054710
well, we're talking about top institutions here that typically have a good filter already as is to get in. but you're right about hands on experience and gh being a great way to get exp.

can't speak much about what you just listed since i'm primarily research and (have not written production code in awhile).

>>3054695
make a personal website. make a linkedin. ask friends for referrals, etc.
>>
>>3054729
are you phd researcher, or just bs/ms ?
>>
>>3054710
that sounds like a requirement for dev with at least 2y experience, not a entry leve.
not that im complaining.
>>
>>3054740
applying to phd's this fall. did bs here and ms (ongoing) here.
just starting browsing /biz/ about 2 weeks ago and desu its pretty brain cancer. the fact you're at gt means you do have some non epsilon iq points. i don't think i'd take much advice here other than a grain of salt. reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions is pretty good.
>>
>>3054192
yeah, I worked as a Java dev for ~1 year. I'm just not sure how smart contracts would fit into day to day life. Like, it's easy to build some kind of CRUD app with NodeJS or Java to demonstrate that you know what you're doing, and the content doesn't really matter. It's just a matter of figuring out how that sort of thing would translate to smart contracts
>>
>>3054766
thx m8. why phd tho?
>>
>>3054809
i don't remember typing desu... is that some autistic shit this board does? the fuck

anyways, a phd in deep learning can net upwards of 300k starting (think 220ish base, rest stock, signing vesting RSU etc etc). it's hot shit right now senpai. i don't think it's leaving anytime soon.
>>
>>3054757
Well, it's quite easy to learn, actually. You're right about the 2-year thing, but why wouldn't you skip that, practice these skills and show it off?

Which language(s) are you proficient in?
>>
>>3054828
k. i guess im more tin-foil-hatted about bubble crashing, and this gotta-get-the-cream-b4-it-crashes mentality. thx for input
>>
>>3054847
python, java, c. - java and c need more polishing though. the trouble is, ive never worked in large cooperative environment. mainly it was just me doing small shit
>>
>>3054847
ive "done" hadoop scala, sql and stuff, but couple school projects dont count i guess?
>>
>>3054861
Nah, school projects don't count.
I'll list a few things you could (should) take a look at:

- Git
- SemVer / CalVer
- Testing (unit, integration, e2e)
- Using CI / CD (Travis CI has a free student plan)
- Effective documentation (code shows the 'how', you add the 'why')
- Using a coding style standard (linting)
- Properly tagging issues, setting milestones, release cutoff
- Working in an Agile way (seems to be a trend nowadays - for example Scrum)

These are (some of) the things you'll encounter when working cooperatively.

Git, CI and working with Agile will take the most time, but will also be the most rewarding.
>>
>>3054958
thx m8. how long have you been working in the industry?
>>
>>3054997
For just over four years now.

We've transferred a few people to a new language (with new paradigms) 7 months ago, so it isn't four years working on the same code, though.

I'm using this language for my own projects as well, so this makes mastering the language take quite somewhat less time.

Which is something I'd recommend by the way. You're most likely not going to program Java as a hobby (it's horrible if you'd ask me, not to mention it's starting to get dated), so why would you want to do this professionally? You'd want to enjoy your job, right? If not for the money, of course.
>>
>>3055112
new language, what like haskell or sth?
>>
>>3055160
A lot of what he mentions is more of what you would learn in an internship IMO, not what you need to get an internship. If you can get the interviews, white board programming + soft skills will likely land you an offer.
>>
>>3055176
yeah kinda figured. im good with softskiil (i think). fairly fine with theoretical math, just that whole structure and architecture are foreign to me. wish me luck lads
>>
>>3055200
if you're applying to a large company and worried about coding questions at all, cracking the coding interview is worth downloading and taking a look at. It's what 90% of them use anyway and what they ask entry level positions. If you can, practice interview a few times with some people who can give real feedback, it's good to know if you sound autistic or like a douchebag so you can adjust.
>>
>>3055160
Elixir, based on Erlang but with nice syntax, doctests and more.

This means we shift to a functional paradigm where we used to code with an object-oriented paradigm.

>>3055160
You would learn this in an internship, but I'd keep this somewhere in mind as fallback. Mention these things on your CV.

One more thing:
You should write a log at the end of each workday. Keep it simple, though. Whenever your boss/supervisor asks/questions what you've been up to you'll show your log. Not just during the internship.

https://colterreed.com/why-you-should-keep-a-work-log/
>>
>>3055214
k. thanks. less douchy for me. if i get in interview mode, i sound to sassy. thanks m8 gotta sleep
>>
>>3055294
thank you too.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.