[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Middle age advice from a younger me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: retirement.jpg (223KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
retirement.jpg
223KB, 2000x1000px
I'm 36 with a stable job, single with no kids, renting with my older sister who has a daughter. Paying 50/50 by choice in a high end rental. Gourmet dinner provided every night, lots of expendable income for now.
I'm needing to know if I'm on the right track because I've been an idiot most my life, dabbled in drugs and alcohol and nihilism .
Been on the right track for the last 2 years.
I'm looking for wisdom from people smarter than me.
About me: I'm a tradie in engineering with 100% job stability. My bosses dad owns his company freehold and has a top reputation since WW2.
I have a friend based relationship with his son who is running things now. I'm 17 years in and tipped for the leading role when the current foreman retires.
>I have 100% job security for life with 2-4% wage increase per annum (inflation has been flat here in NZ for a decade)
I'm single, experienced a crippling divorce 10 years ago, no kids, renting, little savings until now.
I have just finished clearing my debts with just 5k on a CC to go.
I have a little over 5k in savings (I know but I needed to establish savings habit, succeeded!)
Just started a retirement plan in a growth fund with 4% of my income plus 3% from employer and $521 from government every year.
After /biz/ gives me a kick in the butt I will clear CC debt like right now and keep saving a until I have another 5G, then I'll bump retirement payments up to 8%.
I've written off owning a home, I cant have children and have little family under me.
Am I sorted? what would you do in my position?
Ask questions about my situation if it helps
>>
>>3031179
I'm 22 and have no concept of financial responsibility, and can thus offer no useful advice. But if you post goes unanswered, I've found the personalfinance subreddit on Reddit to be an excellent resource if you haven't checked it out already.
>>
>>3031179
>what would you do in my position?

Firstly; I'd reconsider a high end rental, gourmet dinners and lots of expendable income when I still have $5K in CC debt.

Learn about good debt and bad debt: credit card debt is most certainly, absolutely bad debt. I'd spend the next four months discarding gourmet dinners and re-evaluating the amount of income I allocate as disposable; and use it to kill the credit card debt as quickly as I could.

In fact; I'd probably substitute every cent I spent on unnecessary shit with paying off my CC debt and give myself a deadline (i.e in 4 months, whatever I haven't payed off in that debt, is coming straight out of my savings to cover it).

Then I'd start saving. I'd take a realistic look at what I need versus what I want. Do I really need gourmet dinners every night and a high end rental? Or do I just need enjoyable food and a decent place... Do I need lots of disposable income? Or do I need to have a decent amount to retire on when I'm older...

Also, it's sweet that you're in a safe position with your work but man, shit happens. Consider a situation where the current boss has a heart attack & dies, and his son leaves temporarily to sort out family issues. In the interim; the foreman fucks up some work, and a law suit ensues. With diminished capability to operate and manage, it'll take a few bad situations to put you in a bad situation too (electrical problem for a few days; engineering jobs can't get done, money is lost, reputation sinks, customers turn away - all of a sudden no guarantee of a job / pay rises / new position).

Not trying to be negative (I'm a risk consultant so contingency is my mindset constantly), but you need at least 10x your current savings before you can start relaxing, enjoying gourmet dinners, renting high-end places and feeling 'secure'. All it's going to take to fuck you back to square one is a single bad event in your life.

tl;dr;
>Am I sorted?
No, no you are not.
>>
>>3031304
Thanks for the input.
As a 36 year I can give you some advice I wish I could have given myself....Start giving a fuck.
You WILL get old one day and you will probably regret your younger decisions.
>>
>>3031179
>I've written off owning a home, I cant have children and have little family under me.

what are you working for? just to retire early and live off your days?
are you stuck in a high priced city like auckland or wellington and can't afford a house within a 90 minute drive?

you seem pretty set as is, only big thing to avoid is being the mid life crisis guy who marries some asian lady and has a kid in 10-15 years
>>
Check out Mr. Money Moustache, it will change your life.

Start buying index ETFs and if you're feeling cheeky 10% of your savings into ETH or BTC (NO shitcoins)
>>
>>3031179
>no kids
>cant have children
Do whatever you want, it literally doesn't matter - you're a genetic dead end. If I were in your position I'd probably be dead already. I mean, I guess you could accomplish something memorable - invent a thing vital to humanity, cure a disease, gas all the kikes, become a serial killer - but if you're just going to lead a normal life until you transition into a rotting corpse.. what's the point? Momentary pleasures?
>>
>>3031426
I'm in Pukekohe, south of Auckland.
I have no strings and could easily move the to South Island for retirement where things are much cheaper. I fell in love with Foxton desu but the SI is still desirable.
As of now I'm working for retirement but not wanting to go without for my livable years since most males in my family tree die young.
I'm reasonably healthy and expect to work till 70 (I get bored and go insane on a 3 week holiday)
I guess I'm in the midlife crisis right now. Accepting that I might not die die young and used to living a nice lifestyle that I wouldn't want to drop under
>>
>>3031462
I've contemplated all this stuff and dealt with depression. I know I'm a dead end and it sux.
I get fulfillment from my job knowing the solutions I'm involved in and the things I create are boosting the economy and will outlast me.
What else am I gonna do?
>>
File: creditbittothemoon.jpg (23KB, 600x312px) Image search: [Google]
creditbittothemoon.jpg
23KB, 600x312px
Creditbit! If you missed the boom of NEO, OMG and many others. This coin is great, great DEVs andis on its way to the moon, just buy a few and enjoy a few gains people.

46% INCREASE AND STILL INCREASING IN VOLUME!!!

Its on BITTREX and is still very low in price for wat it is!
>>
>>3031179
dude you need to impregnate anything fast. I guarantee you it will be your biggest disappointment if you don't
>>
>>3031517
So if I wanted to gamble a thousand NZD in crypto, how would I get started?
>>
>>3031538
My shit don't work
>>
>>3031462
r-rick? Is that you?
>>
>>3031462
>Do whatever you want, it literally doesn't matter - you're a genetic dead end. If I were in your position I'd probably be dead already. I mean, I guess you could accomplish something memorable
Why not both?
I'm gonna settle for a kyoot 18-19 y/o.
>>
>>3031462
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_man
>>
>>3031628
I've grown out of nihilism dude.
I keep fit so I can feel better about my life and do my job better. I have realized I'm probably going to live around 20 years passed my workable age
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.