[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is 40k/45k enough?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1499640547701.png (142KB, 565x396px) Image search: [Google]
1499640547701.png
142KB, 565x396px
Forgive me if this is a commonly asked question (I don't frequent this board), but is 40k - 45k enough to live off of comfortably for one person? I'm going to college to get a Bachelor's degree in fisheries and aquaculture, and entry level positions tend to make about 40k - 45k per year. I've never really tried to become extremely wealthy, but I just want to know that is this a salary that I could live off of by myself while still having money to spend for fun.
>>
Sure. Family, no. Retirement, no.
>>
>>3004919
This is just to get started. I'm sure after I find a spouse that it'll be a bit easier. I have family who got rich off of side jobs like flipping houses and the stock market, so I might try and learn from them to get a bit of side cash. As for the career, max earnings tend to be about 70k per year if you become a manager. That usually takes a couple years, though.
>>
depends on where you live, cost of living is much higher in areas like NYC and San Francisco. google cost of living and input where you live to get a better idea.

$40-45K is nice for an entry level job, and would bet you'll get along just fine and still have money to spend/save as you please.
>>
>>3004908
>Bachelor's degree in fisheries and aquaculture
why do you need a degree on fishing?
>>
>>3004949
I'm currently located in NJ, but I plan to move to NC since there's more jobs down there (there's only one fish hatchery here in NJ, plus it's a lot more expensive to live here than in NC).
>>
>>3004956
Someone's gotta manage fish stocks and make sure we have enough fish for the future. And as a lifelong fisherman I couldn't think of a more applicable field for myself.
>>
>>3004908
>but is 40k - 45k enough to live off of comfortably for one person?

Depends on area but in general yes, very much so. You should be shooting for your rent to be 30% or lower of your after-tax income. It's a pretty good amount of money.

>I have family who got rich off of side jobs like flipping houses and the stock market, so I might try and learn from them to get a bit of side cash

I would suggest not learning from them, they might have made some money but it's very likely they got lucky and aren't as smart as you or they may think. You can expect about 7-8% returns per year by buying index funds. Anything higher than that is either false promises that are undeliverable, or takes on a very high amount of risk and is not sustainly.
>>
The more you save, the less your salary matters. Aim to spend less than half your income, and use the capital to invest.
>>
>>3004967
Is this for real?
>>
SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE LIVING THE DREAM
>>
>>3004962
Yeah Jersey is expensive as hell. If you're thinking NC or that area I would check out Charleston, SC. Really nice there.
>>
>>3005014
Yes. It is. 60% of your seafood comes from hatcheries. And fishing as a whole takes in billions each year from both commercial and recreational fisherman alike. It's a massive part of many coastal communities' economies. Not to mention it's a big source of jobs.
>>3005071
I did take a look at Charleston, there's some nice yet cheap houses there.
>>
>>3004971
Is there any good sources (websites, YouTubers, etc) that you would recommend?
>>
>>3005159
Read john bogle's books, bogleheads forum, read "a random walk down wallstreet"
>>
>>3004908

>30-40k

Depends on where you live mate. And what your definition of comfortable is.

Start by asking yourself what you spend in gas, groceries, rent/mortgage, etc. The ask yourself where you can cut costs. Small things add up, Trump saved tens of thousands of dollars on many his buildings by removing a single hinge from each door. Multiply that by 20,000 doors and BAM. The key is consistency.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.