[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is proof of stake inherently broken

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1501632617674.jpg (334KB, 1520x1604px) Image search: [Google]
1501632617674.jpg
334KB, 1520x1604px
say the #1 holder has 19% of all eth, and #2 holder has 18%.

then after rewards, #1 holder has 19.02%, while #2 holder has 18.01%.

in a long enough time scale, wouldnt #1 holder's stake only grow bigger and bigger until eventually over 50%?

what prevents this?

also, doesnt this encourage zero market activity, so people just hoard their coins without ever actually contributing to the marketplace?

am i a fucking idiot for asking this here?
>>
Everyone sells eventually. Buyer one will start cashing out when he thinks the price won't go higher and the market becomes more equally distributed over time.
>>
>>2982435
You get rewards proportional to your stake. It only increases your percentage compared to those who don't stake at all.
>>
>>2982543
Rewards are compounded retard.

>>2982435
Kind of but it's not really any different than actual money and interest. Time is money, so requiring people to wait for their money is the whole premise of inflationary assets.
>>
>>2982568
Hypothetical scenario: 100% interest, half of all ETH is staked. 100 mil ETH to start. Consider two stakers, 1 and 2 million ETH.
Before: 1% and 2% of the ETH supply
After: now 2 and 4 mil ETH, total supply is 150 million (half staked at 100% interest) Percentages: 1.333% and 2.666%
One is still double the other. Neither has gained an advantage. The only change is they both gain compared to non-stakers.
Compounding changes nothing when they both gain proportionally the same.
>>
>>2982637
But they didn't gain proportionately the same. In you scenario, someone starting at 50mil ETH would end up with 100mil ETH, moving from a 50% stake to a 67% stake. OOPS
>>
>>2982755
what is interest?
>>
>>2982435
It would take a long time.
Like 700 years.
By then there will be a better solution.
>>
>>2982755
In my scenario, total staked ETH is 50 mil, so that implies only one staker. That aside, 50% to 67% is the same growth as 1% to 1.3%; it's a third.
Perhaps you'll get it if you consider percentage of staked ETH.
50 mil is 100% of staked ETH before and 100 mill is 100% of staked ETH after.
1 mill is 2% of staked ETH before and 2 mil is 2% of staked ETH after. 1/50 = 2/100
2 mil is 4% of staked ETH before and 4 mil is 4% of staked ETH after. 2/50 = 4/100
The only change in the distribution is that staked ETH grows and unstaked ETH doesn't, which is trivial from the premise.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.