[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for forest advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

Does anyone here have experience in forestry or in any type of high maintenance tree garden? Logging, fruit or botanical, any type, I'm just generally interested about how it's like. Do you have any knowledge to share?
>>
Sweet, just bought 100k.
>>
>>2959396
>I'm just generally interested about how it's like.
Green.

Your question is way to vague. Seeing that you are asking on biz and not on out (there's athread including a lot of stuff on forrestry right now >>>/out/1070362 ) I assume it's about making money?
>>
>>2959408
go back to bed faggot
>>
>>2959429
wow thanks. Just sold 100k
>>
>>2959428
Thanks, I'll check out /out/ too.
I'm mostly wondering about what types of things people do if they have some land that they are willing to grow trees on. Also about the main problems that stand out, and what the general maintenance is typically like for the owners.
Do people around here found forests a profitable business, or is it more like a hobby / investment in the land?
>>
>>2959428
This /out/ thread is extremely informative, thank you
>>
>>2959396
You could easily make 50k with those trees. They aren't productive here, saw them, transform them, sell them.
>>
>>2959519
There are quite a lot of forests like the one on the picture privately owned around here where I live, it seems like most are used for logging. I'll find out how they actually manage them.
>>
>>2959485
I see.
> Also about the main problems that stand out, and what the general maintenance is typically like for the owners.
Well, the main "problem", especially for the mooning crowd is that trees take time. Loads of time. Going from sapling to full tree, if you wanna sell some expensive wood easily takes half of a lifetime or more. And even fast growing commercial apple varieties take years from planting to fruiting.
Prices for fruit ar low, but maintenance is high.
You have to constantly cut them to make sure they don't invest too much of their energy on branching that could be spent in fruit. you need to make sure they are not shadowing themselfes. This takes quit a lot of learning to do correctly.
If you get late frost, hail or other adverse weather, your harvest is fucked. so you either go high risk, or pay insurance premiums.
Then there is pests and such. You have to monitor your stuff and maybe treat them. Or you go organic, which commands higher prices, but higher risk. And so on…

Oh, and on forestry:
/out/ is talking about hobbyist stuff. If you wanna go commercial, you NEED a large tractor, a trailer, a winch and a whole crew of people, which also means a few dozen k$ to even get started.

My family does both, but only as a hobby (albeit a large one) so we don't add our time as an expense, so it's worth it, but if we would want to make money out of it, we would have a hard time, or would need to find a niche.

There is a few guys in my hometown who make a premium cider out of old, endangered apple cultivars, where they bought ground with loads of old, wrecked trees for cheap. They seem to make money from it, since their product is in champagne territory price wise, but I'm certain they ain't getting rich from it and they all have a normal job on the side.
>>
>>2959569
>I'll find out how they actually manage them.
In my area, those are state or district owned and they take like one tree out of ten every few years, making room for new growth, to be able to repeat the process in continuity.
Again, picking those trees takes some skill, because you want to get prime trees for sale as hardwood, and you want to make sure those trees get the most light and nutritients during their growth, so you have to pick other trees to remove for firewood, to give those more expensive trees better growth.

I'm heading out now, but if this thread survives a few hours, I might be back to answer some more stuff. Or ask me in the /out thread, that board is much slower.
>>
>>2959574
>>2959586
Thank you for the replies, very useful. I know quite little about trees, though my family had some hobby fruit gardens and a larger forest for bees, but they didn’t obsess much about it, so unfortunately I didn’t learn much.

>take like one tree out of ten every few years, making room for new growth, to be able to repeat the process in continuity.
It’s similar here too, with the difference that they usually clear out a pretty large part, maybe quarter an acre or so. I see quite a lot of logging company trucks driving around, so I assume they are usually hired to do the work with a contract. Maybe some people do it themselves. The general idea is that you buy an already established forest, and if you log, then your family is expected to grow it back to maintain the landscape. There are some brand new forests too on empty land. Some people have botanical gardens, or gardens for rare trees that they sometimes cut for special woodworking projects. This is maybe is a bit similar to your cider example, which is honestly a pretty awesome idea. This whole forest thing is amazing, and it seems like there are so many things you can do. And yeah, time is the biggest issue, in a totally different way than in other fields. It gives a special type of beauty to it though I think.
>>
Biggest tip - you need to work where there are rich people. Poor people don't give shit about trees.

Learn what the trees live in your area are. Look up their name. How much watering they need. Common pests. Pruning methods. Life cycle.

Also, other thing to note. Forestry is a seasonal job. You will be poor in winter and rich in summer. If you can secure gathering fallen trees jobs in winter, then it's slightly better for you.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.