[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Credit Cards

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Capture.jpg (58KB, 707x809px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
58KB, 707x809px
Hello, I'm hoping to get some advice.

I'm looking to get another credit card (maybe 2), but I'm not sure what to go with.

Here's my situation:
>low income (about $11,500/year)
>relatively high credit score (about 775, based on about a year and half of credit history
>have Discover card- 1%cashback rate, with 5% in rotating categories

I really only use my credit card as a payment tool, I don't carry a balance- just use it for cash back. My thinking is that I will of course use my Discover card whenever I need something in the 5% category, but I'd like to pick up another card with a higher cashback rate.

Looking on nerdwallet I think I've narrowed it down to 2 cards:

>Citi double cashback: 1% on all purchases, 1% additional upon payment, so essentially 2% cashback rate

or

>Capitalone Quicksilver cash rewards card: 1.5% cashback rate, but has a $150 bonus once you spend $500 in the first 3 months.

both cards are no annual fee, and I don't care about interest rates because I don't carry a balance.

Ideally I'm thinking I would go for the capitalone card for the $150 bonus, then switch to the Citi 2% card and stop using the capitalone card.

I'm pretty sure this is the best course of action from a rewards standpoint; but would this adversely affect my credit score? Would having 3 (or even just 2) credit cards negatively impact my score because my income is so low? How would my score be affected if I used the capitalone card until I get the $150 bonus, then cancelled it and switched to the 2% citi card? Again
>>
Was going to start my own thread related to this but I may as well piggy back here since it's so related.
I'm really thinking about getting two or three credit cards to build credit after having read about others doing the same here a while ago. There were postings of having interest free credit cards with low utilization of those credit lines and just using them for things like food, gas, insurance, whatever bills like phone, etc and paying it off every month so you never pay interest but still build credit.
I read about some cards after googling but wanted to ask here for any personal experiences/advice from anyone who did that since I've never had a credit card and don't know if there is something unknown I'm getting myself into.
>>
>>2943909
It depends how long you plan on holding the card. I'd personally go with the citi card seeing as you don't make a ton and you use the discover card. I love my discover it card, and I was thinking about going with the ally card once my one year cash back kicks in.

>>2944027
You should probably apply for a capital one platinum card to start out with. After you use it responsibly for half a year or so, get the discover it cash back card. You're almost guaranteed to get a capital one platinum with a low limit, then you can graduate to discover for mad cash back rewards.
>>
>>2943909
>>2944027
good goys. Build that credit.

That said, I have a Chase card affiliated with Amazon. So i get 5% back on Amazon purchases, 2% on gas/food, 1% back on anything else.

I have it set to full auto pay, & i have $350 in cash back this year. The catch is, you can only spend it on amazon. Planning to use it for christmass.

I don't use it to build credit, even though it does, i use it because it's free money. Taking out loans for anything that isn't a productive asset is idiotic.
>>
>>2944027
Another thing is to make sure you fully read the details of your offer. Avoid CreditOne. You can watch channels like CreditShifu and AskSebby to learn more about CCs.

>>2944075
My guy. Best advice is to not buy something unless you can pay cash for it. I too only care about rewards with my CCs. "Building Credit" is a losing game.. We have to borrow money and pay interest to show that we can borrow more money and pay more interest on that. I'd say never take out a loan on anything except maybe a house.. Even then, I like the idea of renting better.
>>
>>2944027
One more thing, keep the platinum card you get open, because it's on the mastercard network, while discover is on their own network. Some places (like where I get my hair cut) don't take discover, and it's very rare to find places that take discover in Europe, if you want to travel.
>>
>>2944027
Me again
>>2944070
>>2944075
>>2944112
>>2944155
Thank you for the responses. I've read everything and will keep thinking about it. I want to build credit because it unlocks things like renting in certain places, lower interest rates for property I might want to buy in the next couple years since I'm about to start my last year in university, cars, and whatever else.
I typically pay cash for everything including my cars but it is getting bullshit annoying for me to sleep outside ornat someone else's place while saving for whatever. And so much of everything seems.to want a credit score. I see alot off stuff saying credit is just showing you borrow money and pay interest so you can have a better score to borrow more money and pay interest so you don't really save anything, but I wanted these cards as a way to build credit without paying interest.

I also have a credit score of almost 730, but want it to go higher because credit takes time to build so I may as well get on it before I really need it and doing it with interest free credit cards seems like a good idea.

Is there a particular number I should aim for for fico then not care any longer? I'm not obsessing over the score, but if I can easily increase it without spending any extra money on doing so I probably should.
>>
>>2944957
In your case, anything above 700 should be satisfactory. You only need a large score if you're applying for the credit cards that charge a fee to use them (AMEX Platinum etc).

Regarding credit scores for a mortgage, you can apply for a good mortgage without a credit score if you can find a lender that is willing to do manual underwriting. Make sure to have a large down-payment as well.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.