[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me make a decision guys. I have two employees currently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_2235.jpg (88KB, 634x577px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2235.jpg
88KB, 634x577px
Help me make a decision guys. I have two employees currently working on probation for us and can only hire 1 of them. The position is for desktop support which means they go around fixing computers when they breakdown.

The first guy:

- 3 - 5 Years in IT related work

- Resolves almost all problems by reimagining the computer regardless how small or big the problem is. (Example: Windows or Microsoft word is slow. Gives client a loaner and proceeds to bring back machine to reimage it)

- Process takes 1 - 2 hours

The second guy:

- Just out of IT related school so first job

- Performs diagnostics on the computer and googles the problem and tries to fix it.

- Resolves problems a lot in less than an hour but very rarely can take 3 hours doing a job such as when a system is corrupt.

- Usually does job onsite meaning no bringing it back to our store to work on it or providing the client with a loaner.

It's my first time hiring someone ever and was wondering who I should hire?
>>
>>2939423
We require more minera... data
>>
If the first guy is reimaging, he's probably lying to you about his experience.

Let me know if you need any remote workers as I am looking for a job myself.
>>
File: pajeet.jpg (3KB, 122x125px) Image search: [Google]
pajeet.jpg
3KB, 122x125px
>>2939423
why the fuck are you coming to /biz/ for this shit? are you really that incompetent to come to a board full of retards for advice on this crap?

second guy, easy. he actually sounds like he knows what he's doing.
>>
its probably smarter/more efficient to just re image instead of fucking around trying to to find other causes
>>
File: IMG_2189.jpg (544KB, 1200x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2189.jpg
544KB, 1200x750px
>>2939449
Tl;dr First guy is 'experienced', consistent doing work. Second guy is new but has schooling and troubleshoots but job completion time varies.

>>2939474
Not at the moment as most of our positions require our workers to be there in person to fix things if needed.

>>2939535
Cause you guys are cool dudes and I would listen to you random crypto neets than any of my board heads any day.
>>
Tell them, let them fight. and then fire booth, just after you hired a black woman who comes with a Mac.
>>
First guy is lazy and probably not as experienced as you think. You can't "reimage away" all problems. And he's working a fucking temp support job with "5 years IT experience"? Lol

Second guy will get better and faster with time and is actually developing his working knowledge. And seems to have more to prove. Go with him I guess
>>
i like the second guy because he reminds me of myself. plus it's his first job.
>>
Depends on what your clients computers look like. Some software is a pita to set up again, so reimaging is usually a last resort. If theyre very basic then its ok i guess, still seems foolish.

All i know is as an IT guy whos been working for a few years, I get called to 'fix' the last guys mess because things slipped through the cracks reconfiguring the machine. Id choose door #2
>>
File: Bunnies in Cups.gif (452KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Bunnies in Cups.gif
452KB, 500x375px
>>2939423
IT Manager here. I work for an MSP and do both internal placing and staff augmentation, so I've been in this situation a lot.

My 2 cents: From what I see here, if this guy has been in IT for 3-5 years, he should be able to resolve issues like slow word, or outlook issues in a second. The fact that he reimages all PCs is worrisome that A) He doesn't know as much as he says he does or B) He's lazy. Neither are great.

As for #2, I believe hunger and determination are great for help desk and beyond. If he's looking to grow, which is what it sounds like, then you can mold him to be a great desktop support guy. Also, most IT issues are solved with a google search, so good for him.

I say #2.
>>
>>2939423
Hire the guy who reimages them. This is the scalable, enterprise solution. He will be the guy who gets shit done five years from now when he's head of the support desk. The other guy is gonna go home and cry himself to sleep holding an anime pillow and eventually kill himself.
>>
>>2939662
You can teach #2 to reimage machines that have a lot of issues, but reimaging is not the solution to every problem.
>>
First guy. Same thing I would do. Work smart, not hard. Can probably also fix issues that are not able to be re-imaged. Is probably more efficient on avg.
>>
Can #1 fix things which don't fit his cookie cutter solution? Can #2 be taught to re-image?
>>
>>2939423
Second guy. You can gain experience but you can't fix stupid. Guy 1 is depending on an imperfect solution and making no attempt at improving. Guy 2 will also leave more people satisfied with the service.

>>2939687
He's working stupid AND lazy.
>>
>>2939678
Chances are that #1, having 3-5 years in IT-related work, has come to understand the fact that it's significantly more efficient and scalable to simply reimage the system. You have to realize that "hurr MS Word is slow" can have innumerable causes, and, assuming it's not the first three or four most likely causes, it will take quite a long time to troubleshoot for no good reason. This is also not a valid option if there is a backlog, multiple systems in need of repair, etc. The sensible (and, consequently, most common in larger organizations) solution is to simply reimage the systems. I don't know how much work you've actually done in this field, but that's the bottom line. We don't pay some asshat $18 an hour to sit around Googling and troubleshooting vague or difficult to pin down problems when it can be solved by reimaging the system which takes all of 20 minutes if your machines are even vaguely up to date (read: made after 2011, running SSDs, etc.)

I honestly think the OP is bait and I probably wasted my time even replying to this thread whatsoever
>>
>>2939571
The second will require a lot of training and coaching, how many hours do you usually spend doing this?
With the first one, as he is experienced he may be using this as an in between job and may look for something more. Have you discussed this with him?
>>
>>2939641

LOL you are a retarded IT manager then. Nobody fucking cares about a shitty IT job and nobody is going to be 'hungry'. Delusional faggot.
>>
>>2939703
Reimage is taught to all techs so both have knowledge of how to use it. It comes to a matter if they use it or not is the difference.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.