[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Film Production

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: sweating-pepe.jpg (8KB, 218x218px) Image search: [Google]
sweating-pepe.jpg
8KB, 218x218px
Hello fellas, might be a bit off-topic but I'm not sure where else to ask -

If I want to make a feature film
Do I need to have a production company associated with it?
Either my own or someone else's?
That is, do I need to start a production company in order to make the film?
I'm UK based, but the film will be made in another EU country, if that counts for anything.
>>
>>2891823
In order to distribute a feature, yes, you have to be a going concern. No one will do business with you otherwise. Yes, there are rare examples of films getting picked up at Sundance that were bought directly from the creator. But the companies that did so and sought distribution were companies.
Also, I would suggest having two companies. On the production company, and the other a holding corporation to hold the rights.
>>
>>2891885
ok. but do i need to actually be associated with a company when making the film? or is it just a matter of distribution?
>>
>>2891901
Anyone can make a film. Look at Youtube. But to show films in a cinema, you have to be a company, mainly to accept potential royalties.
You can accept royalties as an individual for writing, etc, but the film itself has to be produced by a company.
But to show a film at a film festival, you don't have to have a company.
The best thing you can do is hire a lawyer, and they will give you the options.
>>
>>2891918
alright i see, thank you
>>
>>2891823
I'm working on this issue as well. Best options, as far as I can tell, are as follows:
Get a script and get it ready to go
Get in touch with distribution companies about distributing after its shot, get $ discussed (you'll have to front money, probably)
Once that is all squared away, form a "production company" - can be just a basic LLC - look online for how to form one.
Now you are a legit production company, and a legit distribution company is distributing it for you.
>>
>>2891974
does that go for mainstream type films or for more `art' type films, in the vein of James Benning etc as well?
>>
>>2892003
>>2891974
particularly for a documentary film, where there is not really a script as such
>>
>>2892014
Even for a doc or arthouse script, you need a distributor. You won't be able to distribute alone - you don't have the equipment or the connections to get DVDs/reels into theaters.
>>
>>2892131
yeah ofc im aware of that, i was referring more to the
>Get a script and get it ready to go
part, as there will not be much to go on until it is actually filmed
>>
>>2892167
Even a doc needs a script (voiceover, shots, cuts, etc)
>>
>>2892337
fair enough
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.