[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Going Independant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1500659011168.jpg (141KB, 1050x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1500659011168.jpg
141KB, 1050x1400px
Let's talk about leaving your regular job and finding alternative sources of income.

My wife and I are both at a point where we fucking hate our jobs. She's a software developer and I'm an insurance salesman. We have a combined household income of a little over $100k. Leaving for work every morning has become this drawn out miserable ritual for both of us.

We've talked about the idea of getting our time and time again, but the security of a salaried position makes it hard to make the jump. I know I'm rapidly approaching a burnout though, so I might get the ball rolling here soon. I've got experience in IT and marketing as well as my insurance experience.

So what are some good ways I could pull job-level income without having a regular job? I'll post some of the things I've been considering.

I'm looking for advice or critique from people who have made any of these things work for them, know someone who has, or has an idea I haven't considered.

inb4 LARPers
>>
>>2886165

Here's the two I was considering for longer term earnings potential, as it'll take a little time to build up a client base.

- Remote / Housecall IT support.

Lots of small offices and businesses need IT support and don't have anyone in house that's technologically literate. I help someone in my office with a computer related issue 5-10 times a day easily. Most people in the professional workspace in my experience (25-65) are fucking helpless when it comes to things that I consider elementary. They need someone they can call who can come in or remote in to fix little problems or instruct people through simple tasks.

Considering hourly rates and flat rates for some tasks.

- Social Media / Web Marketing

Even the oldest, most crotchety business owners are starting to warm up to the idea that they need to pay attention to their web presence. Maintaining pages on Yelp / FB / etc, responding to reviews in a diplomatic way, updating hours and posting notices, etc etc etc. Most of them have no idea where to start.

Considering one-time setup options and subscription options for small businesses.

These are pretty straight forward. I already have the skills, it just takes getting clients. I could get started off my existing professional network but I'd have to find a way to bring in new clients. My wife is a pretty skilled developer and could easily start building web pages, apps, or other types of software solutions if I could connect her with clients.

Is this viable? Could I make a living this way?

What are some other things I could do to fill my day and bring in a little money?
>>
>>2886174
>Is this viable? Could I make a living this way?
Yes and yes. Obviously save up first preferably enough to live off for a year or 2 or at least 6 months. Then you just have to start working on your business really.
>>
>>2886174
Why not find a different niche in your field that's easier or atleast more tolerable.
>>
>>2886165
Independant...I'm sure you'll do grate.
>>
>>2886245
You misspelled great
>>
>>2886174

>Other shit

There's lots of stuff out there today for earning money here and there that didn't exist when I was a teenager. Taskrabbit, fivver, usertesting, remote transcription, all these gig-type services that connect freelancers with buyers. Anyone tried them?

>>2886196

I've got about 6-12 months of living expenses in savings right now depending on how frugal I am, and saleable surplus assets that could extend that out another 6 months or so.

>>2886199

I've considered looking for other work, but my personal experience is varied and either in sales (which I fucking hate), IT (which is what I'm considering getting back into solo anyway), or petroleum which is a shit market right now. If gas hits $4/gallon again I'll be back in a rotation position banking 6 figures no problem. I can't sit around and wait for that to happen though.

Selling insurance is the most soul crushing job I've ever had. Worse than anything I was ever subjected to in oil development.

Getting professional IT jobs has been difficult for me because while I have the knowledge, skills, and a few years resume listable experience I have no degree or other credentials. I'm good at interviews, but it's getting there that is a challenge.
>>
>>2886245

thx m8 glad u beleev in me
>>
>>2886269
At fiverr you have to compete with pajeets.

If you actively tell your customers what solution you're thinking of and assuring them it's going to suit their needs, you'll make a decent chance.

These pajeets usually tell customers 'I can do this.' - making this their weak spot. Realize that it's cheaper for the customer to get the job done in one go, albeit more expensive than some cheap street-shitter that has to do it three times before accomplishing the task.
>>
>>2886249
No shit...
>>
>>2886297

I know that anything posted on an Israeli prostitution BBS comes across as bullshit LARP'ing, but if pajeets are who I'd be competing with I think I can do fine.

I'm well spoken, good at interacting with people, and clients always think I know what I'm talking about. Nobody I work with gets specifically called out by our clients as being core to their positive experience as often as I do. I've had old ladies bring me silk ties and shit as gifts for helping them through confusing policy issues. Every employer I've worked for has listed my ability to turn difficult clients around as one of my most positive attributes. I'm assuming this is something that would go a long way in freelancing as well.

- Upwork
- Freelancer
- Crew
- Fiverr

All sites I've been looking at.

That said, any suggestions for promoting my IT/Marketing business and getting new clients?
>>
>>2886427
A few basic things I can come up with are:

- Online presence
- Portfolio

I'm not too sure freelancers benefit strongly of a professional network, as it seems mostly used for recruitment purposes. Exposure seems like the right keyword in this case.

Make sure you have a modern website - whenever I see someone or some company with an outdated website I disregard them immediately. They have most likely lost contact with the current trends and technology.

You're really going to need proof to show what you've got, as you haven't got credentials. It's a good thing it doesn't matter a whole lot in IT anyway.

TLDR: Build that portfolio and prove you're knowledgeable to the outside world. Show people why they need your specialty and how they can improve their life when using your services.
>>
>>2886174

Only work IT if you want to hate your life more. I worked for an IT firm that managed most businesses in my town of 40K residents. Medical offices, schools, hotels, retail, you name it. Most of my job was dealing with dumb cunts who unplugged something and then called to whine about it, on a good day. You oboe what dealing with women AND technology is like?

>anon we need you to move these 30 computers and set them up
>okay, where do you want them?
> I'm not sure, let me go ask someone

And then she proceeds to ask every woman in the fucking building what should be done with them. A 1 hour job takes 4, most of it with you getting nothing done and going nowhere.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.