/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TIFU and made the worst mistake of my life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: superthumb.jpg (76KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
superthumb.jpg
76KB, 300x250px
I started the day cheerful and excited to spend the morning giving my computer some much needed maintenance as I've put off this chore for months now, and things were beginning to run painfully slow.

I made a restore point, ran all my scans, fixed some registry entries and combed through my drives deleting unnecessary clutter. One of my drives which is now storage, has the same folder hierarchy as C: since it used to be the primary.

Foolishly, I deleted the Appdata folder unaware that it was my primary drive. All my programs settings/credentials are now gone, and even more annoying is that half the programs aren't recognized as installed.

No problem, go to do a system restore to earlier today - the system hangs for 1 hour + "initializing recovery" and just never budges. After trying for a 3rd time in safemode, every restore point has now vanished.

Welp, guess I have to live with the consequences

> go through all the programs needing settings restored until I am sobered by the realization that my Exodus Wallet's credentials have also been deleted.

>Try to recover -My 12 word phrase backup is gone- I can't find it anywhere (I'm terrible with this stuff, mostly because I just started crypto not long ago, and placed to much confidence in digital storage) My GF probably threw it out. Apparently I didn't save changes to the txt file that I put them in as a secondary measure either.

I tried the email recovery but because there is no stored credentials/user data on the freshly installed Exodus wallet, I'm not sure that it is even prompting the recovery request.

How fucked am I biz? I contacted Exodus support pleading my case, hoping that they can help with the email recovery, but my outlook is grim. over 60% of my portfolio was on Exodus ($2k) which is a pretty devastating amount of money for me.

The irony in this all is that I just received my Trezor in the mail last night, and was going to spend the afternoon organizing/storing my portfolio properly.
>>
>>2850975
MAKE AN ISO OF YOUR DRIVE NOW
Dont touch it, dont install anything else on it, dont overwrite any files
Then take this image, install on other computer, get a recovery utility and see if you can recover the key file
Good luck
>>
>>2850975
nice i just bought 100k. if you didn't overwrite it's pretty simple to get a program to recover.
>>
File: image.jpg (658KB, 1405x1508px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
658KB, 1405x1508px
Visited by Exodia
>>
>>2850994
>>2851004

As far as I (now) know, Exodus stores all the credentials/program data in the Appdata folder.

Once I saw that exodus couldn't load (missing file locations), I ran the installer again. hoping that the account info was stored somewhere else. Did I fuck up by reinstalling? How would I go about recovering the deleted Appdata? (My machine has been restarted 5 times now, if that makes a difference)
>>
>>2851089
Any write to your disk is a fuck up. Use GetDataBackForNTFS (there is a "free" portable version( to recover or some very nice free program that I used to recover bad format sd card.
>>
>>2851143
I'm scanning now. So far no files within the exodus folders have shown up, though the scan is progressing very slowly and I'm hoping it will turn up at some point. I will leave this scan running for days if I have to..

In the miraculous off-chance that the files do end up showing- should I delete the current version files before restoring the old ones? I'm wondering if there will be a conflict now that there are new files in that location.

FUCK HOW COULD I BE I SO STUPID :'(
>>
>>2850975
>he doesn't back up his storage every 7 days
u deserve this m8
>>
>>2851776
we all had those.
at least you didnt wipe your office server one day
youll learn you nig
>>
>>2851791
I system restore frequently, but have no idea why

A) The system hanged trying to restore and then
B) the restore points all vanished after failing
>>
>tifu

you have to go back.
>>
File: 1390428510671.jpg (27KB, 580x346px) Image search: [Google]
1390428510671.jpg
27KB, 580x346px
>>2850975
>was going to spend the afternoon organizing/storing my portfolio properly
>combed through my drives deleting unnecessary clutter
>restore point
>no digital back up
>no physical back up
>windows

Op brought this onto himself.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.