[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Financial Career Question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: hedge .jpg (11KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
hedge .jpg
11KB, 275x183px
I've always wanted to work for or manage a hedge fund since I'm more interested in stuff like commodities, currencies, and derivatives/asset-backed securities than stocks or bonds, but am I fucked if I don't go to an Ivy League or a target school? Are hedge funds as stringent as investment banks (i.e. 95% of investment bankers come from target schools).
>>
>>2846067
not happening, fag. buy beans.
>>
>>2846082
>buying bitbean
I'm not a nocoiner. I'd much rather provide ETH, BTC, EUR/USD, and WTI analysis to a hedge fund than shill some blue chip stocks with a 4% return as an investment banker
>>
>>2846067
You're not fucked but its far stiffer competition. As you pointed out, these places mostly recruit from target schools. Credit Suisse in particular *heavily* recruited from my own alma mater (a top 20 place), nominally because the school places an emphasis on developing graduates with "holistic points of view."

The alternative career path is working at non-bulge bracket backs and working your way from there (though a combination of relentless networking, hard work, some dick sucking, and maybe the right graduate/business school). That or working the back office and trying to find a way to transfer into the front office.
>>
>>2846158
Right now the school I'm going to is ranked #39 for undergrad and somewhere in top 30, around the 20ish market for its graduate school. Am I slightly less fucked if I go to an Ivy for graduate school? I've got a solid GPA so it's not like I'm a deadbeat or anything.
>>
>>2846183
Internships and work experience also factor in significantly. I assume you're doing a banking internship or something similarly interesting or that demonstrates your capabilities in the summer of sophomore and junior year, yes?
>>
>>2846204
For sure. I just finished freshman year and this summer I'm taking some summer courses to get through some of my prereqs for next semester, so I can take higher level courses and then do some internships.
>>
>>2846204
Would it be more likely for me to become a currency or commodities analyst and work in that for a while and then go into hedge funding? Similar to how people go from IB to HF?
>>
>>2846158
Top Kek
>"Holisticâ„¢"
These buzzwords always fuck me up! :)
>>
>>2846271
>>2846230
The way my friends who are in that finance put it, the usual path is:

2 years IB --> quit/do something else OR advance in the bank OR move onto something else (the holy land of PE preferred) ---> hedge fund

The exceptionally talented and connected though fund ways around this.

For example, one close friend/fraternity line brother was the subject of a small bidding war between two bulge brackets before he SOMEHOW got an offer from PJT Partners. Though he hates IB and wants to be entrepreneur. He just wants to make the money and base experience first.

>>2846897
For fun: http://wheninfinance.tumblr.com/
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.