[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fork in the road. What do?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1897.jpg (127KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1897.jpg
127KB, 1000x666px
27M engineer. Quit my job. Bored. Need change. Joining MBA program. Thinking of traveling on a working visa instead.

What would you choose?
>>
24M engineer
I would have lined up another job and moved somewhere else
I would NOT have quit without another job or went for an MBA with zero apparent benefits and I would NOT have fallen for the travel meme
>>
>>2840866
Get into the startup game if you're EE, CompE, or CS. It's literally free money.
>>
>>2840973
Of course you can do this while working on your MBA.
>>
>>2840949

That's not advice. It's too late to go back now. I have significant savings to tide me over for a bit. I don't regret the decision to quit my job.
>>
>>2840978
Not computer engineering. Besides I hate engineering and don't want to pursue a career in it.
>>
>>2840995
I don't have advice for someone who is older and has more experience, only what I'd have done

Can you explain what your think you're going to gain from either option?
What's your discipline and what kind of work did you do to make you "hate engineering"?

I'm EE and worked in power before and it was hell on earth, but then I worked in electronics design and it was fantastic, had tons of hands on work, and I loved it
>>
>>2840866
>Fork
There'll be no fork you FUD pajeet
Screencap this
BTC 15K BY AUG 2
>>
>>2841047
We'll I only pursued engineering because I was good at math and science. Not to mention societal pressures (think Indian/Chinese parents). I have no interest in doing anything engineering related. I hated the coursework. I dont make a good engineer. Hate my job as is.

An MBA would allow me to branch off into something else. Plus it's an "international" program meaning I have to complete an internship abroad. All that international experience really appeals to me. Maybe it'll wear off but I won't know if I don't try.
>>
>>2840866
travel bitch, how is this even a question ;D
>>
>>2840866
Buy 100k!
>>
>>2840866
Srsly, go abroad to different places. Don't need to stay anywhere too expensive. You don't pay rent at home. Sometimes you can even save more money, if you go couchsurfing in different areas you wanna explore. I wouldn't want to stay for too long in a place. Studying is a good thing tho, you could study abroad for a year or so later ;D u never too old
>>
>>2841097
I was also pressured to find some high income work by immigrant parents. I went down the list and found the highest starting salary and picked it. I'm not even very good at math, I always struggled with calculus and even basic mental math.

College was hell, I hated every waking moment, but because I had chosen a lucrative, in-demand field I received so much financial aid (merit and need, public and private) that I was being paid to go to school.

If you're already going to be working abroad as part of the program it doesn't even look like much of a choice because that way you get to do both and at least offset the cost of the MBA a little, but it seems to me you're going to find yourself in a grass is greener kind of situation where you still won't be satisfied with the result
>>
Teach yourself to program.

Work remotely.
>>
>>2841178
Thanks for your perspective. Maybe I will find myself in a grass is greener scenario, but I wasn't going anywhere at my job and it had become a bit of a toxic work environment. Also didn't feel appreciated blah blah. The MBA allows me to take a break from the real world while still benefitting somewhat by having a degree at the end of it.
>>
>>2840866
>Joining MBA program.
Wrong path. Locking yourself up for management wagecuckery? Just why
>>
>>2841233
I think at 5 years out of school leaving there's absolutely nothing wrong with leaving your old job to try and look for something new, but that even a change as small as moving from one firm to another can be a huge change in your work environment and possibly a big improvement.
Good luck dude
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.