[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

App Advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: yt.jpg (40KB, 1280x720px)
yt.jpg
40KB, 1280x720px
I want to create an app to compete with YouTube.

What would you suggest? (Other than giving up / becoming an hero)

At first I was thinking about a content sharing app, with videos photos and articles
Except the content would be temporary, removing itself from servers when it becomes irrelevant

(As such, the content on the app would have to be topical / dealing with news stories, trends, etc)

Content would be temporary to save on all costs associated with storing masses of content.
This allows me to give a higher % of revenue to content creators, incentivising them to join my platform / migrate from others

However recently I have been hearing that storage costs are negligible (though some say otherwise)
I have no real knowledge of how much storage across multiple servers is

So, I have some questions for anyone willing to spare some time to answer them.

>how costly is it for youtube to store such massive quantities of videos, relative to other costs (%?)

I know the cost of delivering the videos to viewers is more significant

>would it benefit youtube to remove videos that have become irrelevant

eg: videos discussing obama's victories in the 2008/12 elections that nobody cares about anymore

>what else could a competitor do differently?

Thanks
>>
>>2795631
Regarding the deletion of irrelevant videos, I know some can imagine this not working
But I imagine it working well, as long as viewers are informed of the temporary nature of content

Between the time of creation / deletion, if a viewer wants to save a certain piece of content it's their responsibility
(4chan, Twitch, Snapchat, etc)

You would press a button to download a particular vid / pic, but the download occurs at the end of the lifespan of that piece of content
(So no revenue is lost)
>>
Don't waste your time.
>>
>>2795891
>What would you suggest? (Other than giving up)

do you have anything more constructive to add?

or maybe a reason why you think its a waste of time
>>
>>2796010
You have absolutely no idea of the scale of Youtube.

And then you are trying to create a Youtube Competitor which doesn't even store content permanently?
50% of a youtubers revenue comes from old videos which are still getting views, that revenue would be missing from your app.

And It seems like you also don't know shit about how hard it actually is to monetize content which uses up so much bandwidth. Simply putting Google Ads everywhere won't generate enough revenue to pay for the servers, atleast if you want to offer 60fps 1080p which you should if you want to compete with youtube.
And even if you managed to develop some high efficient storage compression technology or video codec, you would still be using ads from a third party. You can't use Google Ads while trying to compete with a Google Service.

And even if you somehow manage to solve all of the problems I just mentioned above, just try to migrate BILLIONS of users to your plattform, try it. Higher payments for content creators won't magicly move such a huge userbase to your app.
>>
>>2796595
>You have absolutely no idea of the scale of Youtube.

yeah I do actually, I have spent a large amount of time reading about just how massive it is

>which doesn't even store content permanently?

you say that like it's a bad thing
you've clearly ignored the several times I've mentioned that only content that nobody cares about would be removed
(which is inevitable with topical content)

>50% of a youtubers revenue comes from old videos which are still getting views,

citation needed
also, define old? of course a topic can still be relevant a couple months down the line

even if this was true, it would be coming from 'evergreen' videos; the ones that are always relevant to users
it certainly wouldn't be coming from long outdated content

I'll give you an example of a popular YouTuber who deals with topical content, Philip Defranco

>41,590,200 views in last 30 days
>20 videos in last 30 days
>those videos avg 1.4 - 2 million views
>that means ~30 of his 41.5 million views in the last month, come from videos made in the last month
>75% of his revenue comes from videos made in the last month,

it would be reasonable to assume that the other 25% comes from 2-4 month old videos primarily

>don't know shit about how hard it actually is to monetize content

you're doing a poor job making it seem more difficult than it really is
Google isn't the sole provider of online ads, so I don't know why you're implying that
>>
>>2796595
>60fps 1080p which you should if you want to compete with youtube.

very few people give a shit about frame rate unless it's noticeably low
but yeah 1080/1440p is reasonable

>you would still be using ads from a third party.

says who? lol
Facebook made their own ad network, plus there are other ones

>just try to migrate BILLIONS of users to your plattform,

that's not the scope of the platform, just like Vine managed to carve out a large audience, so would this app
the only reason Vine wasn't financially successful
was because of the 6 second length of videos -
nobody would watch ads that are as long / longer than the videos themselves

the point of this app would be to get an acquisition, from one of Google's many competitors,
not necessarily survive by myself long term
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.