[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

51% attack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

what prevents, say, a Chinese gentleman that owns a mining farm from performing a 51% attack on new shitcoins?

assuming the farm can create as many valid blocks starting genesis to whatever the network is currently at, the gentleman could just rewrite the entire chain, starting with genesis block?
>>
>>2783720
I'm guessing that would take a lot of work. He could do it to coins that compete directly with his though. I have yet to see one coin consume another competing coin, they both usually profit.
>>
>>2783720
Reputation. If he pulled that kinda shit, there's a good chance he'd get a bad reputation and all the repercussions that go along with one
>>
>>2783765
No one would know who it is.
>>
The short version is that anyone with that kind of hashpower earn a lot more by mining fresh coins as long as fresh coins are available.
>>
>>2783857
You think the Chinese government doesn't track things like colossal power usage? They'd know, and they REALLY care about reputation.
>>
>>2783720
Wouldn't the value of any coin that is getting 51% attacked go to shit? Making this a waste of time because the attacker can't profit on a network nobody wants to invest in
>>
>>2784618
As long as he pays his bills and taxes and doesn't break any local laws, I doubt they would give a shit.

>>2784800
Yes, the point is to destroy competing chains.
>>
>>2784618
>they REALLY care about reputation
>anon thinks China and any chinese care about reputation
They are compulsive liars.

They would perform a 51% attack and be like "me chinese, me have fun, me put peepee in your coin" and then run away
>>
>>2784856
I don't think it is done for the sake of competition."Competition" is a pretty absurd term to use in the chaotic crypto world. I think it's rather done out of fun.
>>
>>2784004
Prove it.

Oh wait, you can't because you're just speculating wild claims from your tiny tiny brain.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.