[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Blue vs White Collar Advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: FB_IMG_1499855510837.jpg (37KB, 527x552px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1499855510837.jpg
37KB, 527x552px
Hey biz, I need some perspective on potential career paths.

I am about to graduate with an accounting/entrepreneurship degree and a 3.5 GPA from one of the best schools in Canada. I will have to go to CPA school part time while working and then I'll probably make 70k salary as a senior at a big 4 (aka 80 hour work weeks during busy season). there's a possibility to find an accounting job at an oil company but career trajectory is shit because of the middle aged women that have priority due to their seniority in the company.

However, being from an oil town, I just got the opportunity to become an indentured instrumentation technician apprentice. I'll work 8 months, go to school 4 months for 4 years and then I'll make 130k @40 hour weeks plus double time OT. During the apprenticeship I'll start around 70k.

Which path seems more attractive? Accounting has a higher potential earnings but the work life balance is aids and I have to act professional at work. Trades means I can probably stand out with my degree and be a shoe in for supervisory roles with my shiny top university degree when the time comes. Plus, all my best friends are instrument techs so I have a huge network.

tldr; should I be an accountant or an oil field tradesmen

pic unrelated
>>
tradesmen

this is a no brainer anon
>>
a 3.5 at Calgary is like a 2.8 anywhere else in the country, just go be a rig pig
>>
>>2765714
>>2765714
Yeah, what this anon said. You'll have more time for you, and it sounds like you'd be making better money for doing less.
>>
>>2765727
for the record I go to McGill, not UofC lol...
>>
>being a glorified calculator that will soon be replaced by machines

vs

>being a badass tradesman, doing real manly work and stacking cash

OP do you really have to ask?
tradesman obviously
>>
>>2765727

and if you went to a real school they would have taught you that the oil industry is soon to be declining

honestly falling for the accounting meme was your first mistake, try to get a CFA and salvage your life while you can
>>
>>2765746
LOL complete retard here
>>
>>2765747
Not for a few decades probably. Enough the the OP to retire.
>>
Blue-collar cucks spend the rest of their lives getting beer-guts and fucking their 300-lb hairy wives, all the while resenting "the rich" (everyone else) for "just getting lucky."

Don't make this mistake.
>>
>>2765747
Hey I'm an actuary on track to get my ASA but I was looking into grabbing a CFA too since I already know a lot of the material for my actuarial tests and I would get VEE credit from the SOA if I got my CFA as well.

Is it worth it? My company would of course pay the whole thing, buy me all the study materials, etc., but I'm wondering is it worth the time to get?
>>
>>2765747
>>2765747
the oil industry is declining but big companies will still exist and still pay a fuck ton. plus, the trade in particular is maintenance based not really construction based so even without expansion, the job will still be in demand.

>>2765746
we will probably see the end of oil before CPAs get replaced lol

>>2765728
>>2765720
Its what I'm leaning to.

>>2765768
i mean getting fat, making bank and fucking ur wife every night sounds like a better marriage than most desu
>>
>>2765714
>which dying career field should I hitch my wagon to?

Neither. Go be an entrepreneur. Don't go into oil long term because its a fickle business and is slowly losing to alternative energy.

Go be a rig pig for a couple years if you need startup capital, then go buy or start your own business. At least with that you have a chance of succeeding. With oil you'll get tossed the next time they're having cash flow issues, with accounting you'll shoot yourself in the head before you get to 40 (unless you're legit autistic, then the numbers and balance will either bring meaning to your life, or the chaos of the books will send you speaking it of control).
>>
>>2765808
as it currently stands, the companies are naturally getting smaller due to boomers retiring, no needs for layoffs yet.

but yeah, ideally in the far future I'd like to start my own business. the free time and money will be a big help
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.