[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Maths grad seeking a way out of an 8-6 job

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: $_86.jpg (88KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
$_86.jpg
88KB, 960x540px
Hey /biz/.

tl;dr - Maths grad wants to create trading algorithms for cryptocurrencies, what's stopping me? Who are my competitors? Why isn't everyone doing it?

Doing a masters this coming academic year, in Financial Mathematics and Computation.
I'm learning C/C++.
I'm learning about financial trading structures.
I'm learning data mining and time series.
I'm motivated to do all of it.

As it says, I want to create trading algorithms for cryptocurrencies. What else do I need to know? What makes me likely to fail?
>>
Trading is fucking hard and most people posting about their sweet day trading gains are just lucky. People have been trying to figure out the stock market for decades and most professionals still don't beat consistently the market. The ones that do either cheat, do HFT, or get lucky.
>>
Nothing is stopping you but access to capital

The people doing this all work on Wall Street so you aren't exactly early to the party

The only important thing is your end result

and if it makes you feel better, charismatic brainlets will make more than you selling vaporalgorithms
>>
I see opportunities in the market right now.

What's stopping me from high frequency trading?

What's a vaporalgorithm?
>>
>>2689635
but youre already making 300k starting..
>>
>>2689635
Get into quantative analysis.

>>2689777
>high frequency trading

thats exactly what quant traders do.
>>
>>2689635
biggest obstacle is that unlike a public exchange were the microstructure is transparent and everyone follows the same rules you don't necessarily know that this is the case with some crypto exchange

how do you know the exchange owners aren't running a market making/HFT program themselves or have an agreement/take a kickback from some other company/group that runs one... if they are then there is an obvious conflict of interest and the obvious temptation for these unregulated private exchanges would be to rig things in favour of such a market making/HFT operation - do they have last look provisions like some FX ECNs offer, do they get to skip ahead of everyone in the queue at any particular price level.

Essentially without transparent microstructure if they are running their own liquidity provision operations then you're going to expose yourself to toxic flow if you try to compete (at least if you try to compete at the HFT/market making level) - this doesn't mean it is impossible for you but perhaps means it is much harder than it should be and that maybe, if you do want to get into systematically trading crypto intra day, you might want to look at longer holding times and develop a system that isn't conditional on you getting great order execution
>>
>>2689635
>I'm a student
Well there's your first problem. You actually know jack shit.

Stop "learning" and find a job. From there you can work on algorithms and marketing. Crypto algorithms don't make sense right now because price is driven by media attention. I mean you can link a piece of software to twitter but that doesn't take "math" knowledge, it takes decades of experience with new markets, psychology, and foreign languages. I'm not even trying to exaggerate. You can automate something for bitcoin exclusively a little more safely, but how will you price it? how many years of data will you collect to prove it works? You certainly can't go backwards in time because bitcoin was just a little turd.
>>
>>2689635
because no one can predict the future. you either get some decent funds and do arbitrage or market making or do some modeling that given some human made input optimizes the output.

there were some fags the other day saying they have made bots and shit that were making money, I truly doubt they will tell you something useful as it's unlikely they actually have something
>>
>>2689635
>Hey /biz/.
>tl;dr - Maths grad wants to create trading algorithms for cryptocurrencies, what's stopping me? Who are my competitors? Why isn't everyone doing it?

Its retarded and your competitors are many

>Doing a masters this coming academic year, in Financial Mathematics and Computation.
>I'm learning C/C++.
>I'm learning about financial trading structures.
>I'm learning data mining and time series.
>I'm motivated to do all of it.
>As it says, I want to create trading algorithms for cryptocurrencies. What else do I need to know?

Trading is shit

>What makes me likely to fail?

Your unbelievable autism. Maybe you failed to notice the huge money is in coin dev.
>>
>>2691252
You know your shit.
>>
>>2689635

is 8 to 6 the norm now? fuck that shit unless you have a 5 minute commute
>>
>Maths grad
>He doesn't make 300K
>He doesn't have a chance to work anywhere
>>
>>2691731
8-5 is norm with hour lunch. Working more than 40 hours is a joke people play on themselves to distract from a miserable life. Only business owners are justified in working overtime.
>>
>>2689635

If you're serious, and you're willing to switch to doing it in C# instead, I'd be interested in working with you. I'm developing a value-add product for exchange trading. Email me at [email protected] if you're serious!
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.