[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

50% down payment on a 30 year mortgage. Good idea or huge mistake?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1495339089056.jpg (7KB, 168x251px)
1495339089056.jpg
7KB, 168x251px
50% down payment on a 30 year mortgage. Good idea or huge mistake?
>>
>>2688030
Answer depends on how your investments are performing, will perform, relative to the interest rate on your mortgage.
>>
Depends. I like 15 year fixed if you're gonna money like that
>>
>>2688030

Huge mistake imo

With interest rates this low, leverage out as much as you can without having to pay mortgage insurance. Save more and use the three fund portfolio (google it, use vanguard's funds).

Gg you're rich now in 30 years instead of having an inliquid asset.

Don't get me wrong, real estate is a good asset, but it has so many potentials to be a money pit and it is very liquid.

Besides, you're probably young. You will most likely only stay in the house for 7 years at the most. Don't put all your capital in it
>>
>>2688030
I bought my house in 2011 for £150k
>60k deposit (grandfather died)
>90k over 10 years with a tracker rate
>6 years of around £800 a month
>people I know pay more in rent
>houses in my road sold recently
>going for 220k

Saved up enough to not be a pauper when rates go up. Which I expect soon enough. I'm 29 and will be mortgage free at 33 with at least 80k positive equity.

If you live somewhere like the UK then buy, hold, and reap.
>>
depends on your interest rates for your mortage and investments. Right now the market is really good (maybe not so much the last week or so) so it's hard to beat investing that chunk in some somewhat high risk mutual funds.

In the long run, you can count on roughly 10% annual gains in the market, and your interest on your mortage is probably less than that so it's generally better to invest more in the market than putting down a huge downpayment.
>>
>>2688180
What about the price when they build a shelter in your city :>)
>>
>>2688263
People need shelters
>>
what happens if you lose your job and you have to relocate to find work?
>>
>>2688180
>buying property in the UK when the bubble is about to burst

lol
>>
>>2688276
>>2688263
/pol/ is implying that when your neighborhood is enriched, when you can easily find kebabs for sale on every corner, your property will be worthless. Fucking /pol/. We all know that refugees are great for property values and local economies, they do the jobs that you can't or won't. They fuck your children.
>>
>>2688030
if thats all you can put down, thats the best you can do... nothing good or bad about that. The more you put down, the less is borrowed and the less interest your paying over your term.
>>
>>2688351
I bought a shithole someone died in, 6 years ago. Refurbed it all my myself and it's a good house. The housing market in the UK might crash but it will always go up after. We don't build enough houses and thousands of people flood into the country every day.

>>2688400
My city is 95%+ white and the area I live in is good enough.

The non whites are rich chinks or shitskins studying at the local uni.

Immigrants come here and work minwage jobs because they can send £1 back home and live like a king. If we stopped them coming the wages would rise and those 'lazy' white people would work the jobs. British people are hardworking folk for most part. Its the chavs who give us a bad name.
>>
>>2688060
This, if you plan on staying there for a while

I took out a 15 year with 20% down last year at 2.5% interest. Factoring inflation and very conservative appreciation figures, it's practically free money
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.