[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DOING STUPID SHIT AT 2 AM

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

So I just opened an account with vanguard and have 10k that's about to be transfered into it.

I'm a 21 year old kissless virgin that makes $16.95 an hour and sitll lives with my pArenTs. I've also never done any investing before.
I plan on putting it all into their cute little VFINX fund so I can get the super fancy 0.04% rate. Please tell me any serious information I'm not aware of right now. On a scale from 1 to 10, how stupid am I for doing this? I have a retirement fund but it's not anywhere close to the size I plan on putting into this fund thing I've been wanting to do since getting out of highschool .
>>
>>2684953
yes goy, let vanguard make nice profits over your money for almost nothing in return
>>
>>2684991
So it's better to stash under bed or put in savings account to make like 10 cents a year?

Thank you for the info, I will cancel my account first thing tomorrow.
>>
>>2685013
do whatever you want man, i know you want safety but that's just way too expensive for me
>>
>>2684991
Haha! The jews! xD
>>
>>2685031
So if 0.004% is too expensive for you, what isn't? I'm honestly curious. 0% and crypto currencies?
>>
>>2685052
That extra 0
>>
It's a smart investment idea. Try to find one with a higher rate. It's free money. Slow, but if you're not planning on doing anything else, wise.
>>
Difficult to say without more input:
- Average return rate of fund?
- Desired risk profile?
- Time frame of investment?
>>
>>2685095
>Difficult to say without more input:
>- Average return rate of fund?
It's pretty close to what the sp500 is
>- Desired risk profile?
I'm not buying 10k of tesla stock or whatever
>- Time frame of investment?
probably 10-20 years. Absolutely not less than 5, even if I become homeless.
>>
>0.04%
per day, week, month, year?
can they change the expense ratio?
are they extra costs when making a trade?
>>
>>2685156
$400 per year on 10k, keke
>>
>>2684953
At your age, you should be maxing out your Roth IRA instead of dumping money into an underperforming mutual fund desu~

Keeping 5k in checking for an emergency isn't a bad idea either even if it doesn't keep pace with inflation. How much do you have in savings which you can pull if your car blows up?
>>
>>2685136
Your id says it all.

Bet 7 dragon all in first hand
>>
>>2685183
go back to r9b
>>
File: IMG_20160826_104334.jpg (2MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160826_104334.jpg
2MB, 4160x3120px
>>2685156
Expense ratios are annual. No fees for buying this fund.

>>2685173
I agree about focusing on retirement first. I thought the same thing.

I have 15k in case house burns down and I get fired next week. As for car blowing up, that's already happened and it only took $309 of machine work and half that in parts. Pic related.
>>
>>2685204
That car's adorable.

Assuming you've already reached your IRA limits and you plan on keeping a bit on you, yeah, a mutual fund is pretty much all you can dump money into aside from a (((Savings Account))), stocks, hard assets, or crypto.

If you were to go the hard asset route, silver would be my choice since it's less speculative than gold. Or you could go the risky crypto route and double your money with ETH.

VFINX doesn't seem that bad, though don't expect yuge gainz. It's the safe route after all.
>>
>>2685052
crypto offers 0.1% return daily for lending
>>
>>2685249
Wow. I didn't even know that retirement accounts had a max contribution.

If you're telling me that I'm ONLY allowed to put 5500 into an IRA each year then I can absolutely do that and not feel guilty about having a tiny ****.
>>
>>2684953
read some actual books about value investing or something before you spend everything on index stocks.
>>
>>2685313
you also lose 5% everyday in fiat
>>
>>2685330
The IRA contribution limit only applies to Roth IRAs. The main difference between Traditional & Roth IRAs can be read at http://www.rothira.com/traditional-ira-vs-roth-ira but it's mostly how taxation works when pulling money. e.g.
>Roth contributions (but not earnings) can be withdrawn penalty- and tax-free at any time, even before age 59½.

I do really recommend maxing out your Roth IRA first since its exponential growth will net you more in the long run than a mutual fund. VFINX only had a performance of about +30% over 10y from 2006-2016. That's ahead of inflation, but only by about 10%.

All of what I'd recommend depends on your timescale for returns and when you want to pull money from your account. MFs are one of the last options I'd choose for a viable investment, though.
>>
>>2685381
>The IRA contribution limit only applies to Roth IRAs
nevermind I'm fuckin' dumb
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.