[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WHERE CAN I LEARN SALESMANSHIP!?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: TeachEmilyToSell.jpg (264KB, 910x1200px) Image search: [Google]
TeachEmilyToSell.jpg
264KB, 910x1200px
I've been a salesmen of any sort, where start? Short Courses? Get a wagecuck job in retail? Start a fucking Etsy-tier arts and crafts operation and sell at stalls?

I was thinking of joining one of those recruiting companies that train up sales people because I figured "why don't I get paid to learn" but
I ran this by my sage old man, who said:
>Nah don't do that, they only teach you their method of selling and not how it works. Also it's that high pressure selling technique

What's the best way and environment to learn how to actually sell when you've never done it before?
>>
well I was a barman in a night club and that got me a lot of "people experience" for salesmanship, also read a book from Tom Hopkins if that helps,
>>
>>2684614
Care to elaborate further on the barman job? Was it like a Gin or Spirits place where "discerning" customers came in wanting to be educated?
How often did you get a chance to upsell?

What do you do now?
>>
any book by Robert Cialdini
>>
>>2684950
Already done...
>>
>>2684586
Retail, where a significant portion (30% or so) of your salary is commission. Pick something of high throughput and medium value like electronics or power tools etc. You'll meet loads of customers and can learn to read them. Commission part keeps the pressure on.
>>
>>2684586
How to get ahead in sales
How to win friends and influence people

Read those.

The following basic things are important to be good at sales:-

1) get up earlier than everyone else and be in the office first
2) internal selling is equally important as external selling
3) opportunity qualification / compelling events are vital
4) get senior figures in organization to mentor you, effectively help you on the way. Make them part of closing the big deals for you. Be humble.
5) your job in sales is either:-
A) transactional. Your job is about getting a basic relationship with procurement, understanding their annual buying cycle / budget cycle and trying to get at least one internal supporter on the client side. Understand their current challenges and pain areas and put pressure on your business to meet their needs. Basic closing skills required.
B) complex e.g. Outsourcing. Your job is about structuring a deal and actually going about trying to sell a promotion to a line of business lead. Needs to meet the organisations goals so that they get xyz savings and hence a promotion
>>
>>2684586
If your number one focus is about serving your customer and not your bonus, really caring for them you will do amazingly.
>>
>>2684978
>You'll meet loads of customers and can learn to read them
Ahh yes, this is what I'm talking about.

>>2685282
Maybe I didn't make it clear: where and for whom should I work? What's a entry level position where all my voracious reading and passive observation will finally be put to the test of dealing with flesh and blood people and real world situations?

>1) get up earlier than everyone else and be in the office first
Just like Mike Ovitz, he said when he found out the boss of the Talent Agency worked till late, he always made sure to be around when the boss left.

>2) internal selling is equally important as external selling
Care to explain what that means? Do you mean that if, for example, you're in a B2B environment and you've sold a client company on a deal you need to sell the "idea" to the management and others within your own organization?
>>
Join an MLM man, I wasted 2 years of my life there as everyday they will meme you into thinking you will make loads of money with them, however you'll learn sales face to face and they are very effective and systematized with training, I recommend joining until you are the top salesman and then leave, I became a real estate agent and now I'm doing well due to my sales knowledge learnt from that shitty place. Another benefit is that they will 100% hire you and you can start the next day.
>>
Also please realize, retail is not sales!!! retail is sitting there and hoping you have a good deal to sell and people walk up and ask for it. Sales is actively finding people that otherwise would never buy and getting them to buy. The best MLM product to sell is cable as you can actually make a decent living from it, dont do charities/ food subscriptions or any other shitty products
>>
get a job a used car salesman
>>
I always thought being a realtor would be fun
>>
to add again, 'that pressure selling technique' bullshit is found in ALL SALES, no company will teach you to pressure sell, that just comes if you are unethical or have a bad attitude, or that dumb foreign guy that wants you to buy a fake watch at his store because he knows you're never coming back pressure sales is what you are taught by retail workers who think that is what sales is.
>>
Realtor is a very rewarding sales field however no companies teach actual sales psychology or fundamentals, they just teach the product knowledge and that is why statistically most realtors are better off at McDonalds
>>
File: ssm.jpg (18KB, 313x499px) Image search: [Google]
ssm.jpg
18KB, 313x499px
The Smart Sales Method.
I took classes with the developer. Totally nails it.

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Sales-Method-2017-Improving/dp/0692820302
>>
>>2685387
No you can leave early just be one of the first to get in.

where should you work? Everywhere has a sales team anon.
>>
>>2686174
Interesting, is it possible to get into that shit without paying through the nose? Will see if the local Cable company is taking new sales people...

>>2686197
>retail is sitting there and hoping you have a good deal to sell and people walk up and ask for it. Sales is actively finding people that otherwise would never buy and getting them to buy
Oh! Very good point, thanks for bringing that to my attention!!

>>2686206
How difficult is that? Should I just pretty much doornock on car lots seeing if they need anyone?

>>2686207
True. Also I love architecture, but don't you need to get a license and stuff?
I'm a bit hesitant to do too much prerequisite stuff because I'm seeing learning how to sell as a means to an end.

>>2686304
Sell me on it?

>>2686404
>Everywhere has a sales team anon.
very true, but how do I pick an industry with a low threshold to entry, but will be experentially profitable/educational to me?
(I realize I am getting a bit spoonfeedy now)
>>
>>2686174
I agree with this MLM pyramid schemes are amazing for learning how to sell. Much cheaper and more effective than a marketing degree, you will learn a lot by passing around sales cd's and mp3s and stay motivated and disciplined by having a supportive community around you all drinking the same koolaide.
>>
>>2686534

I'm in medical sales. Real selling isn't about ramming round pegs into square holes, which is what most high-pressure sales people try to do.

Selling involves identifying and meeting needs.

Learning to sell involves learning human interaction and how to read people. That's not shit you learn in books.

Go out and get your hands dirty. Shovel some shit doing B2B sales (copiers, recycling, shredding, office supplies, you get the idea...) and then work your way into another industry.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.