[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SF vs. NYC

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: sf-vs-nyc.jpg (54KB, 628x360px) Image search: [Google]
sf-vs-nyc.jpg
54KB, 628x360px
So /biz/ how about taking a break from cryptoshilling and helping me think through a big decision?

I currently live in NYC and am nearing the end of my first year in a job out of college. Base: $72k, Bonus: $6k. Next year I would expect to make... Base: $79k, Bonus: $10k.

I live in a (small) 1br in a relatively nice Manhattan neighborhood (Upper East Side) and have a decent standard of living, just wish I were saving more money per month... currently about $1000 +/- $200 or so.

The reason for my post, a bunch of senior people in my company recently moved to a new office in SF and the option is on the table if I were willing to do that (they'd pay moving costs, etc.). Now I've heard that cost of living is higher in SF relative to NYC, so as someone who's never been there what would I need to be compensated to equate to about $89k compensation in NYC to have a similar quality of life?

... Oh, and for all the people wondering why I'm saving so little, taxes suck. Then rent + utilities. Then food. Then some sort of entertainment / going out monies (just being a robot that goes to work and not enjoying being young in NYC is stupid). Then paying down some student loans. You get the picture.

Thoughts?
>>
>>2254905
kill yourself
>>
housing costs will increase, negotiate a higher salary for the move.
>>
>>2254983
To how much? Would $100k all-in do the job?
>>
>>2254991
Doesn't really matter man, you're negotiating with your employer. Pull some bullshit numbers out of your ass and give them a good speech about how you'll need some extra compensation. It's normal in these circumstances to make the negotiation.
>>
Look OP, I moved from NYC to SF (actually from NJ to Berkeley, but I used to work in NYC and now I work in SF).
I think it's not worth it. Also, amount of poop on SF streets and hobos doing heroin on sidewalks will surprise you.
>>
>>2255053
Sf resident here. I think this is the correct answer. SF cost of living is similar to NYC, not more expensive, but you can argue it is more expensive and some sources say it is. Argue well enough and you'll get paid more by moving.
>>
>>2254905
>upper east side
Shit taste in neighborhoods lol theres nothing there
>>
>>2254905
there are people who make 150k/yr in sf and they are barely above the poverty line.
>>
>>2255053
>>2255095
Thanks anons.

>>2255067
Hmm. So you're not happy with the quality of life? I thought that was the big draw to moving over there.

>>2255113
Nigger, Upper East Side is one the wealthiest neighborhoods in the country. Most of the wealthiest zip codes are here. Good restaurants and clean streets. Residential feeling here is an oasis of tranquility that's priceless when coming home tired from work in bustling Midtown. Plus, a disproportionate amount of hot girls live here and the girls to guy ratio is awesome.
>>
>>2255164
How though? If as one anon said it's comparable to NYC, that is not poverty line level. I know /biz/ likes to be hyperbolic but come on.
>>
File: ggp.jpg (131KB, 507x338px) Image search: [Google]
ggp.jpg
131KB, 507x338px
>>2255164

Claiming 150k/yr could be "near poverty line" is not factual. I made slightly less than half that when I first moved to SF and was still financially secure enough to save 50% of my take home pay each month. I admittedly was frugal though, probably moreso than you want to be - no family, only ate out once a week, lived with roommates five miles from downtown, smartphone a couple years old, took public transportation, one short vacation a year, shopped at H&M / Ross etc - but it definitely was not poverty.

>>2255199

The quality of life comment is real. I can corroborate that downtown and the mission district are saturated with homeless people, and there really are frequently needles laying out on the sidewalk or gutter (plus their users nearby).

The city also isn't world-class in the way NYC is, it is 1 or 2 rungs down. Remember that San Francisco's population is just 800,000. I think we have a better park though than central park though (golden gate park), for what that counts?
>>
SF is absolute fucking trash. Unless you're get a extremely significant rise, I wouldn't even fucking consider it
>>
You'll be paying $2.5k/m minimum for a non-shitty apartment. Everything else is great - minus the degeneracy and incoming tech bubble.
>>
File: meem.png (173KB, 469x491px) Image search: [Google]
meem.png
173KB, 469x491px
>>2255199
>one of wealthiest neighborhoods
Youre a really lame fucking person if neighborhood quality is decided by how rich it is. sterile gated communities also have alot of wealth but people arent flocking to live there
>good restruarants
lol
>disproportional amount of hot girls
Shit taste
UES is basic bitch as it gets youre worse than williamsburg fags
>>
>>2255199
Upper east side is essentially a good desert my dude. I bet you think "new american" restruarants with bland microwaved food made by 50 illegal slaves in the kitchen is "good food". This is new york you have access to an unlimited variety of foods but most is far from UES
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.