[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

There can be only one

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: therecanbeonlyone.jpg (23KB, 246x350px) Image search: [Google]
therecanbeonlyone.jpg
23KB, 246x350px
Theres something I'm not quite getting with all these cryptocurrencies. Surely there can be only one? I personally wouldn't want to be using fartcoin for one thing and poocoin for another. There's currently hundreds of shitcoins out there. This obviously cant and wont work and the great purge will take place at some point. Normies like myself cant be bothered thinking about all the different currencies, changing them and the like. I mean we all basically use one fiat currency now in our day to day lives. Plus the classic conspiracy of NWO and one worldwide currency is going to happen lets be honest. So something has to give. I could maybe see a few very niche contains like ripple that are centralized and then a grand master coin for all the normies. Ethereum (and nem) seem like a great idea but then there's coin on top of that with all their dapps. Can someone with knowledge explain this because as far as I can tell, there can be only one.
>>
>>2198660
>BTC
The gold standard. This will be "the one" as you describe it, provided they sort out their politics.

If BTC hard forks, everything implodes. Nobody else is strong enough to stand on their own.

>ETH
Ethereum as an infrastructure has potential. Whether or not people will use the public blockchain for it (and thus Gas) is yet to be determined. There are a lot of memecoins floating around, GNT especially. Kik's adoption of the public blockchain for its token will be crucial to proving ETH's success.

If Ethereum as a public blockchain can prove itself, it can become strong enough to stand without BTC. Don't treat ETH as a BTC replacement; It is a backend used to facilitate its network's traffic.

BTC has potential to adopt the concept of smart contracts with Rootstock, but tx fees are a prohibitive 20% in its current design.

>Everything else
Literally just shitcoins, tokens, or BTC clones with higher tx speeds. BTC is eating itself alive with politics and tx fees hence the surge in altcoin interest. Everyone wants to treat this as a gold rush and make quick 10x gains which is why people pump and dump constantly, undermining confidence in the concept.
>>
>>2198781
What about stuff like GNT and siacoin? They have specific intrinsic value that should keep them safe, no?
>>
>>2198856
GNT is pure speculation and severely overvalued right now, imo. They're trying to find who to market to, and I think their current target is render farms?

It will not be adopted by any major companies any time soon; They have Amazon Elastic and their own render farms built for their CC needs.

"Renting computer power" is nothing new either. There was a P2P implementation which was kinda/sorta popular a few years ago since it netted you a few cents even though it was a botnet. There's also Nicehash if you want to be lazy.

Obviously these aren't the exact same concepts, but really, "who the hell is going to want to use this over Amazon?" should be the question on your mind.

>Siacoin

Lost the race, to Storj's ICO.

Decentralized storage is a really hard-carved niche either way. Why would a company use this instead of a reasonably redundant CDN with a 99% SLA, or why would a consumer use this instead of Backblaze/Dropbox/OneDrive?

I think they're both doomed to Freenet levels of activity: A hobbyist's toy.
>>
>>2198781
Cheers that does help. I guess I just wanted to know what I would be buying a sandwich from tesco with eventually. Because thats the coin that ultimately matters. Going to have research btc more. Ive been hearing about this fork. Not sure how likely or what would exactly would happen if it happened. But yeh likely chaos.
>>
>>2198968
Litecoin!
>>
The vast majority of true meme coins will btfo when tokens start getting released by major companies on the ethereum network.
It's been a boon for early adopters and the teams that managed to release an ICO at the exact right time. Keep in mind this massive pump has only happened over a 2 month period, before that everything was worth cents on the dollar.
Some of the projects coming out know their shit in the cryptospace and are doing things that rely on that, others are not at all coin related but they released a coin for visibility and to raise capital.
Expect Crowdfunding coins to come out in coming months as now it's been realised that crypto coins have just tapped into 80-90b of funds that were apparently just lying around in peoples accounts that they could (or couldn't) afford to lose.
I see the markets biggest advantage still as micropayments and opening up the world to the unbanked but there are still technical and psychological barriers for most people in the world. 2017 we'll see the shitcoins die or get devoured by better projects, Crypto crowdfunding splintering off and working on getting normies in the game but they'll still stick to the their credit cards, at least a couple of the EEA members release tokens of their own, a new massive influx of new money towards December that will 'nearly' double the market cap up to $200b. My estimates for market cap in 5 years is $1 trillion. You still have time to play around on shitcoins for a while yet but start to consolidate into the top 7 before the year's finished. Screencap this.
ETH donations 0xAf712F50b4616810Ade2964495c32bD0991eBd29
>>
>>2198968
The main issue with BTC right now is its TX fees and its TX volume.

>A brief rundown
Miners make bank by mining blocks which include transaction fees for the network. This is done in 1MB "block sizes" which includes 1MB of transaction data. The current tx fee was around $5-6 before the dip.

Miners don't want block sizes to go up. They want to mine more blocks instead, because that nets them more money in an exponentially hard Proof of Work system.

>More problems
There is also the issue of "ASICBOOST", a vulnerability in the bitcoin network which the dominant ASIC mining company is taking advantage of. This increases the effective hashrate of their miners, so more blocks.

>Possible solutions
Both SegWit and UASF have been proposed to mitigate the issues in the network, increase the blocksize, and reduce the influence of the mining cartels.

There has been considerable politics as a result, because miners control BTC.

In the end, I think it's mostly greed on miners' parts. There is considerable support for both UASF and SegWit, but majority mining pools are still not signalling for it. It's speculated they're doing this to pump/dump alts, but really, who the fuck knows why.

>Special notes on Ethereum
Ethereum as a network is planning to move from a Proof of Work system to a Proof of Stake system which eliminates mining cartels. This is going to cause significant instability within the ETH market when it occurs.

tl;dr Buy gold instead.
>>
>>2199085
>but really, who the fuck knows why.

I forgot to mention that there were various problems in the original SegWit spec. I can't remember what they were. Go google it.

>>2198951
>Obviously these aren't the exact same concepts, but really, "who the hell is going to want to use this over Amazon?" should be the question on your mind.

I should also note that this is also a problem inherent with the Ethereum network in general. Decentralized applications have been around for a while, but this is "the big one" to prove the concept.
>>
>>2198951
I'm with you on GNT, you probably don't need blockchain to do what they're doing and it's probably impractical (that's why there's nothing like that yet).
decentralized storage can take off but not because it's safer but will probably be cheaper. however you need miners and shit like that and they only do it now because of the money and won't happen so much when things calm down. But I do believe there's somewhat of a market for it.
I don't think shitcoins will go away though, there's a lot of market speculation and volatility which traders can take advantage of plus if they get some stability they can be used like real money and I believe some of them will be around for some time
>>
>>2198991
Lmao
>>
>>2199121
>decentralized storage can take off but not because it's safer but will probably be cheaper. however you need miners and shit like that and they only do it now because of the money and won't happen so much when things calm down. But I do believe there's somewhat of a market for it.

I think there's a small market for it too, and you're right on needing miners. That's why I called Storj's tokens as the winner. Ethereum's token economy allows much more rapid iteration than a brand new blockchain.

Besides, Sia only has 4 autistic white guys. Storj has 7 and a Pajeet. Pretty clear who's winning that one.
>>
>>2199069
>>2199085

Appreciated anons. Thanks.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.