[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need help making resume

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 1394438314889.jpg (56KB, 597x519px) Image search: [Google]
1394438314889.jpg
56KB, 597x519px
Could you guys give me some general tips with building my resume, and perhaps post your own or one you like (with identifying details censored, of course)?

I'm finding a lot of conflicting ideas online (e.g. include objective or not, how much space to leave for your name and contact info, how much whitespace should you have, margins, whether education or experience should be at the top), so I'd appreciate any direction.

I don't have anything worth posting yet, but I'm a university student (studying computer science), and have some work experience already. I will appreciate any ideas.
>>
There's no single right way to make a resume.

Make it fit on one page. Make it so someone who reads it wants to hire you. Mostly you aren't going to get hired because your connections suck and you aren't impressive.
>>
>>2108717
>because your connections suck and you aren't impressive
I agree, and I want my resume to be as good as possible to get my application past HR at the very least
>>
>>2108603

Remember the average resume gets looked at for 5 seconds

The tails get 50 seconds and 0.5 seconds, respectively
>>
>>2108603
>profile section rather than objective statement
>accomplishments rather than responsbilities
>make sure to list your projects since that's what you do with CS resumes
there it's already better than 90% of resumes
>>
>>2108603
Just make sure it has lots of lies.

Applying to fold clothes at the Gap? Say you majored in folding clothes at Yale with a minor in maniquin dressing.
>>
>>2108994
Thanks for the tips
Should my resume be colorful to grab the viewer's attention, or would that work against me?

>>2109005
I'll keep that in mind, thanks
If you were reviewing a resume, would you prefer to see projects listed at the top?
I don't know whether to put projects, education, or work experience at the top, and I've been told that the topmost space should be reserved for the most important section.
>>
Interview well and talk about blockchain a bunch also do certs in the field you want.
Making 85k at 21 right now as a network admin using this shitty resume.
>>
>>2108603
you want to see a resume? I'll edit my shit ut and give you the best fucking format you've ever seen
>>
>>2109048
Will keep in mind, but I'd rather stay on the safe side and tell the truth

>>2109071
Thanks for the example, and congrats on the job!
Are certs useful for programming jobs, though? Software development is my goal

>>2109082
Please do, I'd like a great resume format
>>
>>2109050
>Should my resume be colorful to grab the viewer's attention, or would that work against me?

That's a real gamble. Depends on the job. A creative position I might contemplate it being ok. Something more formal I wouldn't.
>>
File: stuff.png (90KB, 799x496px) Image search: [Google]
stuff.png
90KB, 799x496px
>>2109082
this is my resume nigger (1/2). It was good enough to get me interviewed at an asset management firm, (hopefully) landed me a job at a p/e fund, and got me to interview with deloitte

i fucked up the first and third interviews because I went in on an hour of sleep cause finals and midterms always coincided with those fucking things

btw dont do an objective section. it's fucking stupid, you say what your objective is in the cover letter and if they dont need a cover letter, they dont care enough to know beyond that you're applying for a job
>>
>>2109163
fyi, the firms I mentioned had a minimum AUM of 7 billion dollars

If you want me to literally write your entire resume for you, I'll do a 1 on 1 session for $60 where I figure out your shit and embellish it for you in great format

t. top 25 business school and not being a total fuck up
>>
File: stuff2.png (54KB, 807x419px) Image search: [Google]
stuff2.png
54KB, 807x419px
>>2109171
2/2
>>
>>2109163
>>2109171
>>2109184
This helps a lot. The design is really clean, I like it.

Also thanks for the offer but I want to make my own resume to practice and get better.
>>
>>2109219
>saying no to my offer

you'll never work in this town again
>>
File: 1492391336893.jpg (91KB, 900x773px) Image search: [Google]
1492391336893.jpg
91KB, 900x773px
what do i do if i dropped out of school after year 11 and only have basic trade qualifications like work safety and machine handling?

I have no education but worked for a year as an apiarist, 2 years as an IT help desk and a year and a half at a nightclub. I dont count esport gambling as a real job even though its made me the most money.

Whats a good way to build on the experience rather than the education?

Also is it wise to put a really good job on your resume that you got fired from due to company change redundancy?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.