[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Job looking can only ever find retail and fastfood jobs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

Let alone the fact that retail is dying and there being no real future in it, I always end up unable to handle looking at job listings for that long because that's the only ones I ever see and I can't do those types of jobs. Like really it makes me feel depressed that this is my only future that I'm destined to just be miserable no matter what I do, job or jobless.
>>
Become a night crew manager and work your way up from there, shelf's will never stock themselves
>>
>>2083624

Look up warehouse jobs. It's like retail, but without having to deal with customers and more about receiving and shipping large quantities of products to send to various retailers. There's also working for the actual companies that make the products (example: working for Coca Cola/Nestle).

All of these jobs will still have a future because they haven't advanced robotics enough to do the majority of the work yet. I think that's still about 20-30 years away. Retail jobs will be gone rather quickly due to companies like Amazon directly sending the products and saving people trips to the store.

The best part is these warehouse jobs usually pay an average of 13-15 an hour and managers there make 20 an hour. It's a much better start than working at Walmart if you want to get into other careers as well (robotics, engineering, computer science for example).
>>
>>2083661
Yep. Amazon picker is a great job. 10 hours cardio, free painkillers at the end of the day, and no dealing with customers. You just have to get faster each day.
>>
>>2083672

As a matter of fact, I also work at an Amazon warehouse. I did picking briefly for cross-training but my area is "sort". I do night shift weekend work so I get over 16 an hour which is pretty fucking good. A lot of people complain about Amazon overworking people, but the job isn't really that bad. If you're in shape, it's pretty easy to make the rate.
>>
>>2083661
Wrong.

t.Amazon
>>
>>2083661
Yeah I actually have looked at some of this warehouse kinda stuff but not many around me or they didnt pan out for whatever reason. I mean I do have a degree but I still feel like I aint good enough with it (esp with jobs having specific requirements) and the fact that so much time has passed.
>>
>>2083688
I heard that they want you to keep getting faster and don't care if you're shin splints develop into stress fractures with a free ride to snap city.
>>
>>2083703

Wrong on which aspect? Automation? That's still years away, trust me. The first thing to be automated is the computer system that tells people what to pick. Then next will be the little robots that grab the items you picked and takes them to the conveyer. Other than that, we don't have robots that do sorting/packing at the level of a human just yet. Then there's also problem solving which has to be done by a human since some errors are a bit too complex for a robot/ai to handle right now.

I would give Amazon 20 years to fully automate their warehouses, that still gives you enough time to work there 1 year and go through their career program. It pays for 90% of your college tuition into certain high-demand fields which allows you to work up to better things.
>>
>>2083718

They do, but you are still rated based on an average of everyone else. If the rest of your shift consists of slow fatfucks and you're pretty fast, you can't lose. Also people quit Amazon constantly, so you will be up against newbies who have to move as fast as you do in 4 weeks, so as long as you keep up your speed you're fine. What they want is you to keep at least 100% productivity performance. It's rated over a week, so even if you have a bad day your average can still be over 100%. It's just a numbers game. If you fuck up your leg the best thing to do is move to another department that's less active, like packing (they mostly stand in one place).
>>
>>2083748
How easy is it to move from one department to another should one injure oneself?
>>
>>2083758

If they need people, you should be able to apply online with their web service for employees. It will still take a month for them to approve and move you there. Then it takes another month to train you (you will be on a "learning curve" which eases the stress a bit).

If they don't need people, you would have to wait until an opening shows up online or apply to a different warehouse and move there instead, which is a bigger pain in the ass.

One thing that helps is they do give you medical/personal leave so that gives you some time to recover. But unless you are lucky and start out at pack/sort or something where you barely have to move at all you will be walking a lot.
>>
Nightshift is better. You cant spend money at night because your too busy working, you wont spend money during the day because your too busy sleeping. Your freetime is 4 hours after you wake up and go to work. Ben doing this 3 months saved up 1500 so far
>>
>>2083758
Tell them you have to take care of a sick relative with cancer during the days no questions would be asked.
>>
>>2083624
> Google Temp Agency
> Contact one in your area
> Have a resume ready
> They'll hook you up with other shity jobs but one might turn into something
> If you don't like it, leave.
> Repeat.
>>
>tfw had 2 jobs both minimum wage
>finally get a job as a server
>get one shift and they schedule me again
>it's been a week
Is there any hope left? They say they're waiting for a guy to get the PoS set up
>>
>>2083688
The turnover rate at Amazon's warehouse jobs is so high that anyone with pulse could get the job. They don't even do in-person interviews. It's an easy way to get work experience so that you can eventually get into better jobs.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.