[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/resumecritiquegen/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: myresume.jpg (112KB, 823x1060px) Image search: [Google]
myresume.jpg
112KB, 823x1060px
Can we have a resume critique general

I am an anon looking for an entry level helpdesk job this is my current resume anything I should add or remove.
>>
>>2079248
Remove sensitive contact info. Leave only your email address and phone #. Replace your references with "References available upon request". This is for your own protection. You don't want to give out personal information to people you don't know until you've at least done an in-person interview. You should also include your education level.
>>
>>2079275
Thanks with education level what do you mean?
Should I include the institution at which I have gained my certificate?

It might help with the fact that I am in Australia and we basically have a government funded trade school that also has courses in IT.
>>
NEVER make generalized resumes. It just shows you're lazy and don't really care about the job you're applying for. Look at the qualifications and responsibilities of the job, reflect on past experiences, projects and whatnot and tailor that experience to fit to the qualifications. Don't put references on your resume. If they want it, they'll ask for a contact.
>>
>>2079248
Wow this is a really shitty layout and the information is all fucked up.

>education
This needs to be degrees and actual paid training and should include the school or company that provided the education.
Most recent going backwards.
You dont explain that detailed of what the training was on; it should be short bullets or nothing at all.

>references
You dont provide references on your resume.
You should have a separate sheet with your references and only provide them when requested.
This is like bringing up your address when you ask out a girl.
You are making the assumption that they like your resume and now want to fact check it with references.

Your skills section is just garbage.
Google some resume examples and put more effort into it.
You might get an entry level job with this but its pure dog shit and looks like it was written by a middle schooler.
>>
>Google some resume examples and put more effort into it.
>You might get an entry level job with this but its pure dog shit and looks like it was written by a middle schooler

I know it is that is why I am asking, I already got rid of the references and the actual location where I live. I will add where my Certifications where gained.

My skills are garbage since as the matter of fact the only other job I have held is a retail job for the last 4 years.

I am exactly hoping this would net me a basic entry level job, and from there on I will get my CCNA and CCNP, and maybe some Microsoft Certs as well. My aim is to become a network engineer in maybe 2 - 3 years and then head to university to get a bachelor in computer science

I will work on your points and I really appreciate your advice.
>>
>>2079248
Put skills at the bottom and consolidate or eliminate it. The first thing I want to get when I read a resume is "is this guy competent"?

When number fucking one on the resume is "good knowledge of Microsoft Windows" I'm thinking "this guy is a fucking dumbshit if that's the best he's got". 98% of people with their shit together can use Windows. When you say "basic knowledge of Mac OS"- don't even fucking bother.

Secondly, just telling me you're apparently somewhat competent with something isn't convincing at all. That's a stupid self-assessment, of course you're going to hype shit up at. "Good knowledge of physics" is pretty nebulous. "Chief Rocket Engineer, NASA" is pretty fucking convincing. Show, don't tell.
>>
>>2079458
Im not talking about the information on the resume but its presentation.
>good knowledge
>good knowledge
>basic knowledge
>basic knowledge
You either know it or you dont know it.
You should invest in yourself more and get more certs.
You are completely under qualified; even for an internship.
Get A+ certified so that you can at least do basic printer troubleshooting and network management.
Also dont imply you have your CCNA when you dont because that is a high level cert and you cant fake that in an interview.
>>
>>2079516
In case you dont understand what I mean by implying you have your CCNA.
>Industry Certifications
>CCNA 1
Man you mean you completed a course at school.
Thats not the actually CCNA certification and isnt even a part of the certification process.
I thought it was just a typo until your comment.
>>
File: whatiknow.jpg (19KB, 667x145px) Image search: [Google]
whatiknow.jpg
19KB, 667x145px
>>2079516
I actually have almost completed the first half of the CCNA or maybe I should change that to ICDN1, I changed that it is repetitive and rather I list all the things I am able to do with Windows Server
What I inserted into that is
>Windows Server - AD, DHCP, DNS, Group Policy, RAID arrays
>Cisco - Dynamic Routing, VLANs, ACLs

>>2079552
Yes I can't fake that but I do have a fair share of cisco experience. All I am aiming for is a simple help desk job because my parents want to move to the US. Also many jobs seem to only require Windows server and active directory.

Hopefully this is an improvement on my skills section
>>
>>2079565
If you dont have the cert then you put the skills you have in your skills section.
There is no partial certification or "I have all the knowledge equivalent".
You either have taken the test and have recieved your physical certification or you have not taken the test and recieved your certification.

That is a way better skills section by the way.
Just make sure you can back it up when they ask you questions during the interview.
>>
>>2079609
Thanks appreciate your input, I got VMware and GNS3 on my PC so I can pretty much test whatever I want. Have a good night/day
>>
>>2079248
Lol OP thinks that he is gonna get rich working for somebody else XD
>>
File: resumeedit.png (71KB, 631x893px) Image search: [Google]
resumeedit.png
71KB, 631x893px
Would like some feedback on my resume as well, cheers!
>>
File: 6532545212.jpg (1MB, 5000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
6532545212.jpg
1MB, 5000x4000px
>>2079248
1. Don't use a template. This has MSWord all over it. You want it to stand out and be unique.

2. Tables are your friend. Make it yours!

3. You need an objective: In search of a position to network and meet interesting people.
Or Searching for a position where my skills are utilized to build experience.

4. Don't be redundant.
"Good Knowledge"
"Good Knowledge"
"Good Knowledge"
"Good Knowledge"
"Good Knowledge"
"Basic Knowledge"
"Good Knowledge"

Makes you look good and basic... You want to be exceptional the best out of the stack of Resumes. Thesaurus is your friend here. Also, you can group a few of these.

>Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite such as Word, Excel, and Windows Server.
>Knowledgeable of computer hardware components.
>Experienced with Cisco routers and switches.
>Thoroughly worked with Mac OS, PowerShell, and MySQL.

5. Objective, Education & Certificates, Skills, and then experience. References upon Request!

6. Use another font that's not Times New Roman. Arial is fine for the Bold Text and bullet points. Use another Arial for the Titles of your blocks (i.e. Skills, Experience etc...)
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.