[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Architecture: Differences between College and University?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: moscow uni.jpg (434KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
moscow uni.jpg
434KB, 2000x1000px
I'm 20 and finally interested in getting into post-secondary, and want to go into Political Science and Psychology, but obviously am not extremely invested in that idea for obvious reasons.

However my second interest is architecture, because there seems to be an actual career opportunity out of it, although I don't want to be simply working as a CAD technician for some giant firm forever and would like to create my own small firm as soon as I have necessary experience.

In saying that, what's the difference from peoples experience?

Does College just simply teach the skills, and not the history behind famous architecture? What's the deal, at least in your knowledge of your programs.
>>
Whatever you do, get very well acquainted with revit.
>>
>>2064063

alright, thanks man. that's the CAD software used most I'm assuming?
>>
>>2064063
I was originally going to study architecture, but decided not to for various reasons. It was in part because of the introduction I got at a student orientation, which involved students having to create a lot of works based on modern architecture. Even the interior of the school of architecture was basic, it seemed like an incomplete structure (exposed AC, concrete floors, white walls). The pieces of previous students were even worst.

The other part for avoiding the major was because I was planning on attending two schools, which would have made my commute time unbearable, and I would have to manage your courses. Since I was on financial aid, I had to choose one college to send the money to, hence why I needed to take 6 courses. *sigh*

I already know how to use CAD and Google Sketchup, but I have never used revit throughout my entire school career.
>>
>>2064070
I know in the UK they normally use autocad, revit or archicad.

I get you don't want to be a CAD guy but it's a valuable skill to fall back on (along with the architectural knowledge).

Using them accurately will also make your dealings with engineers go a lot smoother.
>>
>>2064094

I appreciate the replies.

And oh, definitely not that I don't want to learn the CAD software, I just have little interest if it's for building someone else's designs. (But obviously everyone says that.)

>>2064084

If I may ask, what did you take instead and why? And in your experience with the software, which one is the best to use (or if I may, EASIEST) to use?
>>
>>2064049
>but obviously am not extremely invested in that idea for obvious reasons.
just a pro tip for college and life in general
never say anything is obvious or obviously, it's condescending

so why aren't you interested in poli sci or psych? poli sci and psych can pair well with architecture. the sooner you learn architecture isn't really about buildings, the better.

sure, there's a lot of diverse career opportunity to go into architecture and design in general, or totally out-field areas.

you don't have to work for a giant firm. if you're into the integrated design process where you have in-house engineers, contractors, etc, that's cool. you can also find a firm where you're more passionate about the types of projects they do. maybe you just want more design work and help with concept-ing, PR, firm "side hustles" like gallery exhibitions, social events, etc.

anyway, to answer your main question:
i go to a university where the arch program is split between technical and design (for undergad), though everyone picks up a fair amount of design skills, because everyone gets exposed to a basic 1 year survey of arch history as a pre-req into the design and b.arch programs.

arch is all about learn by doing. so you teach yourself the skills, essentially. think of arch education, in terms of technical skills, as a guided experience: the tools and techniques are there for you - you just have to go out and have the initiative to invest yourself in them.

as far as software goes:
2D: autocad is on its way out, revit is better.
3D: rhino (90 day free trial) and sketchup (free) are fucking awesome. there are a ton of great plugins for rhino (food4rhino.com). diva daylighting analysis for rhino, for example. or stand-alone daylight modeling like velux.

if you wanna get into materials and life-cycle analysis, athena impact estimator and BEES are good places to start. i'm sure LEED and whatever the fuck else cert sites have lca softwares listed.

pt 01/02
>>
>>2064136
pt 02/02
sorry lol, wrote that before i saw any other replies here.

>>2064134
>And in your experience with the software, which one is the best to use (or if I may, EASIEST) to use?
not the guy you asked, but rhino is easy af to get into. very low learning curve with crazy potential. it's like what the best video games do, they make it feel natural and fun to start, and the more you play the more you realize how much crazy shit you can do.

>which involved students having to create a lot of works based on modern architecture.
yeah, at some point you're gonna do something like that. again, learning by doing. of course, you get to do a lot of your own stuff too.

>Even the interior of the school of architecture was basic, it seemed like an incomplete structure (exposed AC, concrete floors, white walls).
what was the school name, if you don't mind me asking?
>>
>>2064049

You should really just buy Bitcoin, as I'm under the impression that universities are going to be a thing of the past in about five years.
>>
File: 1492198387856.jpg (77KB, 500x470px) Image search: [Google]
1492198387856.jpg
77KB, 500x470px
>>2064156

hahahaha I love you, I am invested in that idea don't worry, I appreciate the concern.

>>2064136

And dude, honestly, thanks so much man. You've calmed my soul a whole lot, I appreciate it. I'll look into all of these, and am just gonna copy pasta your comments for the future.
>>
>>2064136

I was honestly just running off of the meme that those two things, which I'm incredibly interested in are corrupted by modern Academia, but I will definitely think of taking a combination of (Arch, Poli. Sci., and Psychology). I suppose the structure of our government, our mind, and our built environment are actually all highly correlated so I'm interested in seeing what can come of it.

Thanks man!
>>
>>2064187
>>2064178
no problem! i'll be on biz all summer, feel free to make another arch thread, i'll probably see it lol.

the reason i asked for the name was because it sounds a lot like my school (rapson hall), but that's probably like a lot of arch schools like that lol.
>>
>>2064178

I already have my degree: B.S. Neuroscience (2011).

I really think that universities are going to decentralize due to Bitcoin (possibly turning into small business industries).

But... then again... I start thinking that maybe... maybe we'll be in a situation like The Matrix, whereby we'll just download knowledge by spending time in a virtual classroom that's ridiculously sped up.
>>
>>2064226

Back about two years ago, the idea was covered, and I dismissed it, because I didn't think the technology would be around for like thousands of years, but this Bitcoin stuff catalyzes the FUCK out of technological discovery, thus making it a severe possibility.
>>
>>2064237

Things like Khan Academy will definitely start to offer real accreditation in the near future, but I know there will always be a need for people to feel part of a community. But perhaps Social Media will suffice, I can see the obvious benefits of virtual highly specialized classrooms though.

Is there a difference between Ethereum and Bitcoin in that nature though? I thought only Ethereum offers that weird complicated contract system through the blockchain, is Bitcoin literally the exact same idea or does it not have that concept built into it?

I guess the smart thing is to not put all of your eggs in the basket of your schooling, as the technology in the (near) future may open up some more opportunities for our weird predictions on /biz/.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.