[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this still the best hardware wallet?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0983.png (209KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0983.png
209KB, 600x337px
Is this still the best hardware wallet?
>>
Yes i have one. Best hardware wallet under 100 $
>>
>>2063007
I'm looking for one of these.

The thing that concerns me most is safely storing the seed phrases though.

Having them sitting somewhere on a bit of paper doesn't seem that secure to me.
>>
>>2063007

crypto and epicenter youtube channels offer discount codes for it
>>
>>2063007

ive always used trezor, really love it, can hold almost any crypto, well tested
>>
are seed phrases secure? they sound like they are not
>>
With these god damn things, you are opneing yourself up for trouble. Either the buttons stop working, or it falls into water, or you lose it as its tiny, or there is some fucked up backdoor, or it gets hacked or fuck knows
>>
>>2063041
im selling one man i can send it to you for some bitcoin
>>
>>2063041
>>2063087
just give me a temporary email where i can reach you if you want
>>
Not a troll, but seriously why the fuck not save yourself the money and just print it off on paper, waterproof the paper and lock it in your room somewhere
>>
File: product_ANY-1-595x720.jpg (30KB, 595x720px) Image search: [Google]
product_ANY-1-595x720.jpg
30KB, 595x720px
>>2063041
Put the seed in cryptosteel and in a secure location such as a safe deposit box

http://cryptosteel.com/product/cryptosteel-mix/
>>
>>2063041
>Having them sitting somewhere on a bit of paper doesn't seem that secure to me.

Get cryptosteel for storing passphrases. More secure shit ever.
>>
>>2063257
Further more, cryptosteel holds only first 4 words of each phrase, so even if someone gets to it, they can't decypher it. You can always memorize the seed phrase with chain linking memorisation techniques
>>
>>2063257
Still doesn't change the fact that anyone can read it if they get their hands on it.

What I want is some kind of encryption method where someone could find my encrypted seed phrase but wouldn't know how to decipher it.

Like swapping out some words or something.
>>
>>2063077

With hardware wallets you create a backup of your key on a piece of paper that you can restore if your hardware wallet gets damaged or lost.
>>
>>2063443
write a (simple) script on a piece of paper and use that to encrypt your seed
>>
>>2063563
But then if you lose the script you're fucked.

I think something with a book might work.

For example you take the first letter of the name of the crypto the seed is for, the number of that letter in the alphabet corresponds to a certain page or chapter in a book, you take the first word from the chapter of the book and replace X word in the seed with it.
>>
>>2063443

jesus man. don't be a retard.

take your favourite book and create a code with numbers.

page number - line - position of word

your seed will be encrypted like this

15-6-4

on page 15 line 6, 4th word you will know is the word "Retard".

FML this board. how the fuck do you survive in the outside world?
>>
>>2064055
>FML this board. how the fuck do you survive in the outside world?
Implyin any of this niggers actually do any other thing in the outside world besides going out to buy big bags of cheetos.
>>
Anyone have a keepkey? Trying to decide between that and the ledger nano.
>>
>>2064055
You'd have to ensure that you have the same book for the rest of your life. Some books come out with larger or smaller pages thus changing the page length of the book.
>>
>>2064164
I got one. It works well to hold my BTC and ETH I don't trade.
>>
>>2063443
>Still doesn't change the fact that anyone can read it if they get their hands on it.

Change the order of first 2 words, ender the last one backwards or memorise it.

Cryptostell lets you enter 4 letters of each word. No way can other people figure it out.
>>
>>2064164
keepkey is worse, because it is larger in size. The smaller the better. You don't want it confiscated at borders and shit
>>
>>2064164
there is no stock right now. got myself a ledger nano s. Eventually I will get one I guess, they were cheaper at some point than the nano s and they both do the same.
>>
>>2064055
Didn't realize you could specify your own seed words.
>>
>>2064167
Remember the book, editorial etc. Buy a couple copies and store them on different places in case your house burns...

how can it go wrong?
>>
>>2064550
>different places
these motherfuckers live in a basement or in some small room next to the laundry room on a relatives house.
>>
>>2064444
If you are going to cross a border, why the fuck would you use any other setup than an USB pendrive with a bitcoin core wallet.dat inside a truecrypt container with a hidden volume for plausible denniability in case they look inside the pendrive for 100% success when trying to cross any borders?
>>
>>2064055
Wait, paper or hard cover? Size of font? Shit i forgot, the book i used the word was on 15-6-4 but on this hardcover it won't be there.
Or did i use a Kobo?

Oh well, broke again.
>>
>>2063443
you want a one time pad (OTP)
>>
>>2063227
i think because your bank might go bust or get hacked or something.
this way it's in its onw little wallet away from that
>>
>>2063227
maybe you got keyloggered and get got when you enter it back in
>>
>>2065759
>not signing your transactions on an airgapped machine using electrum
>>
>>2065915
yes obviously dickhead, i only wanted to point out that the ledger could still be a decent solution for fat cunts too lethargic to carry a second computer and a bank vault containing pieces of paper around with them.
>>
>>2063077
backdoors on all these devices is what spooks me most
>>
>>2066077
Everything is deterministic and auditable on Ledger devices (basically, a backdoor couldn't operate without being detected). That's the whole point of these devices.
>>
>>2063077
That's what paper backups are for. The devices are merely a way to "spend from a cold wallet" without ever exposing the private keys. The devices can break, be lost, ... and replaced. In the end, the paper backup is your wallet, and the device signs txs securely in its SE.
>>
>>2063007

Say if someone finds my seed on paper or cryptosteel. And say they use a BIP39 supported wallet and enter my seed, I want there to be an extra security measure in the shape of a passphrase I made. Can I do this with Ledger? It would make it much better in case someone finds my seed because I'd still have the added security of the passphrase.
>>
>>2064438

Lol, the reason they let you enter 4 letters is if because you use a BIP39 supported wallet or ledger it is able to autocomplete the full word with just the 4 letters.
>>
>>2066149
>Everything is deterministic and auditable on Ledger devices (basically, a backdoor couldn't operate without being detected).

It could. You never know if your device is not with a backdoor.
>>
No one is going to know what a list of random 24 words is doing sitting in a book or something.
plus you can still use it with other apps even if you lose the ledger
EX: I can use that password on my Coinomi app and have the same wallets on my phone as well as my ledger. The ledger isnt the wallet its just a device to read it.
make an encyrpted file with your passcode and put it in an email you will never forget about, write down 5 copies keep some and give some to your parents to hold or other people you can trust and dont tell them what it is.
>>
Hardware wallets scare the hell out of me. I'm not a techie but isn't there a chance throwing all that BTC or ETH on a USB or whatever OPs device is could get corrupted somehow and your coins would be lost forever?
>>
>>2067702
Thats why you have a recovery phrase.
>>
>>2067701
If I found 24 random words on a piece of paper I would definitely enter it into a BTC wallet.
>>
>hardware wallet
>not just running electrum on gnu/Linux

I shiggy diggy
>>
so is the answer to this thread "yes" or what?
>>
>>2063007
I wish there was one that had all of the alt coins I use.
>>
>>2064055
i use my own method to develop passwords and seedphrases based on diceware... I didn't have a die at the time so I used a deck of dutch blitz cards
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.