[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pay Debt or Invest?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 20170507_142547.jpg (2MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170507_142547.jpg
2MB, 2576x1932px
Here's the dilemma:
> Be 24 years old
> Get accepted into a 5 year PhD program with a stipend of $2,200/mo
> Tuition free
> Can't work any other jobs

Should I pay off debt or put money into retirement?

My Situation:
> 10k Savings (emergency fund)
> 2k invested in IRA
> 36K student loan debt
This can be completely deferred though interest still accrues
> decent car, no payments
> about to move in with gf so rent: $500/mo (utilities included)
> food: $350/mo
> gas: $80/mo
That's really it. Car insurance and phone are paid for, free healthcare through job, internet included in rent.

> please no Cryptocurrency talk
>>
>>2049428

> please no cryptocurrency talk

AHAHHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAA
>>
>what's the best way to invest my money?
>oh no don't tell me about the best way to invest my money tell me about the other best investment that carries no risk yet delivers huge returns

Literally you right now. Sure you're smart enough for a PHD?
>>
>>2049428
If you think your investment will have a higher return than your debt interest rate, then invest. Otherwise, pay off debt.
>>
>>2049428
buy bitbean
>>
>>2049475
I could pay off debt by the time I graduated, which would be nice, but 29 feels old as shit to have 0 retirement savings.

> Debt all together is about 4.9%
>>
>>2049505
That's what you get for going to university x3. Enjoy being the unique nocoin and nomoney combination of fail.
>>
>>2049428
It really depends on what the interest rate is on the student loans. Anything 8% or above and I would say those need to be your main concern.

Also, because I would assume that you will likely be busy, or at least should be with a PhD program, I would suggest just focusing on paying as much of your debt off as possible instead of taking the required amount of time to properly educate yourself on investing.

If you are comfortable with the investment vehicles that you have put into your IRA then continue to add a small percentage to help along the 2k with compounding.

Once you have completed your doctorate then by all means start learning more about investing to better put your money to work for you as soon as you pay off those loans.
>>
>>2049505
How could you pay off 36,000 dollars when you would only be netting ~$1300 a month?

Do you have alternative income?
>>
5 year PhD program? Why so long?

I'm 3 years into a 3.5 year PhD and I'm about ready to blast my brains out. I hope it's something you're genuinely interested in and passionate about is all I can say.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.